Oppression of Women

by MrMoe 71 Replies latest jw friends

• SlayerLayer
    SlayerLayer

You know what? When I had the great paying job and Jen stayed home, we were always in a bind. She took care of home matters and I made the money. I made the final decisions on just about everything. More often than not, my decisions got us into trouble.

Now, she makes 3 times as much as I did, so I stay home with the baby now and take care of household duties. She makes all of the final decisions. She takes care of where the money goes. We are in much much much better shape now than ever. It seems that every decision she makes is baesd on her logical way of thinking. My decisions were obviously based on my emotions.

I think that "men think logicaly" and "women think emotionally" is a bunch of crap. I think it's more a matter of "some people think logically" and "some people think emotionally".

I'll be the first to tell you that if anyone "wears the pants" in my family it's her. But you know what? We've proven that that's the best way for us personally.

Everyone is different, whether man or woman. I do not believe that anyone was created as a helper for anyone else. That sounds just as lame as everything else printed in the bible to me.

Slayer

• bboyneko 2
    bboyneko 2

slayer, you were created as a'helper' for me, that is, my slave. I expect my lawn mowed promptly tommorow and my dinner cooked and prepared as soon as I arrive home. Also, I require you to change the kitty litter and take out the trash.

-Dan

• Naeblis
    Naeblis

I've actually argued with WOMEN on how they should have more rights. Maybe in another 100 years or so it won't take 4 pages to respond to this the way it should of from the start.

*yawn*

• bboyneko 2
    bboyneko 2

Naeblis, you too are my slave

• claudia
    claudia

Slayer, i loved being home with a baby. it was the best time of my life, although it was more tiring than an outside job, how old is you little one?

• trevor
    trevor

A Woman’s Place

Women in the congregation do not share the same status as men. They are not allowed to lecture from the platform or make any announcement directly to the audience. When they are allowed on the platform, they must address another woman while the audience listens in and only if a man remains on the platform. They cannot offer prayer on behalf of the congregation or even say grace out loud over a meal in the presence of a baptised male. They may offer prayer in the presence of a male who has not been baptised but must cover their heads to do this.

They cannot be appointed as elders or even to the lower rank of ministerial servant. This excludes them from having any say in who qualifies for baptism or who is to be disfellowshipped. The exclusive male-run leadership claim their authority to exclude women in this way is taken from the Bible. (1 Corinthians 1:1-16, 1 Corinthians 14: 31-35, Ephesians 5:22,23, 1 Timothy 2:12)

This idea of male headship is take to extremes among Witnesses. The women members, or sisters, are not allowed to be in charge of the supply of literature to other members at Kingdom Hall meetings or give out the canvassing territory maps. Even borrowing books from a hall library, must be overseen by a male member. They are not allowed to deal with congregation accounts, decisions on decorating, or the running of any department. They are allowed to be actively involved in weekly hall cleaning, though again this must be organized by a male. It is difficult to see how the principle of male headship in spiritual matters can be used to exclude women members from having any official authority or influence in the congregation, even in matters that are entirely secular.

Trevor

• waiting1
    waiting1

HeyTreavor,

In our southern usa area, there is definitely an extreme. As in food arrangements for funerals.....sisters provide the food - but there's a brother assigned to oversee it.

A rare congregation get together? Approved by elders. A get together for kids sponsored by a group of mothers? Elder approval before hand.

One instance I found telling about jw women's status locally. In all KH, attendants are all males. I was under the impression they were supposed to help people - not just find seats, etc.

A sister in our hall came with 4 kids faithfully (husband not jw). Her teenage son got sick and tried to make it to the bathroom. He did not -and vomit spewed at least 8 foot long down the isle. She rushed back to the backroom to help him.

The rest of us tried to pay attention to the WT study conductor, who kept on going. Shortly, I looked back and the mother was on her hands and knees cleaning up the vomit with paper towels. I got up, went to back, and found several other sisters getting mops, buckets, etc. About 5 of us cleaned up the mess - after we made the mother stop and go attend to her son. No attendants, no brothers ever asked if they could help. We were all in dresses, straight skirts, high heels.

I was furious and afterwards went looking for an elder. Of course, he didn't know anything about the situation - the smell alone would have knocked over a horse. I complained loudly about the attendants not even offering to help us as I thought that was their job - to help. He said "Not really. They're assigned to help with seating and emergencies."

I gathered 8 foot of vomit, 5 sisters on their hands and knees, an ungodly stench among 175 people, and a sick kid was not deemed an emergency. I also suspect they felt this was a job for women as we were trained to clean up vomit & shit and be on our hands and knees.

Btw, the only brother who commented on this was the Guest Speaker, who was sitting right next to the vomit. "Did you see the size of those pineapple chunks? That kid must have swallowed them whole!"

I responded, "Yes, I did. I was the one scooping them up with my hands." He never got my sarcasm.

waiting

• SlayerLayer
    SlayerLayer

I'd like to help you out Dan, but it looks like Fred's been playing in the litter box again.

Claudia, my son is almost 2. It is a job, but I enjoy it. He keeps me so entertained.

Slayer

• LDH
    LDH

Waiting,

Could you and all others refrain from making comical remarks until I've finished my breakfast?

I'm sick of snorting food out of my nose!

Lisa

• Vitameatavegamin
    Vitameatavegamin

Tatiana,

Sorry for the remark, I should have rephrased that! I am a woman by the way. What I mean to say was that the view of women taking charge of ANYTHING within the JWs is not allowed, even taking care of a stupid cleaning dept! They apparantley don't want women taking the lead at all. This view is just that extreme! By the way, I agree, women should be on the GB!!

I was tired last night when I made that post. I re-read it and it does sound a little sexist, especially coming from a fellow woman!!

Sorry about that, hope I did not offend too many. Anyway, I think I made my point. Thanks!!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit