Oppression of Women

by MrMoe 71 Replies latest jw friends

• waiting
    waiting

Howdy MrMoe,

I never said you had to feel the way I do. It just so happens that I DO wear the pants in our family. I make ALL of the choices. But, when my husband says that is the way it is, then he is dead serious. And I listen to him.

You have just contradicted yourself black/white 100%.

waiting

• LDH
    LDH

Claudia,

I think many muslims lie to "outsiders" about what they do and do not do.

Girlfriend, that's RICH. Coming from a religion that teaches kids to LIE daily about loving their life as a JW, that publishes a book to teach kids how to lie in court, that's a good one.

Muslims are misrepresented by the media, much in the same way Communists/supposed communists were run roughshod over in the 40's. Now, it just so happens we don't like Arabs. Or as Ronald Reagan called them, "Sand Niggers."

Anyhow, Mr. Moe, you are right. Self respect and respect of the other partner dictates that you do what is best for BOTH parties involved, not just for one. However, it shocked me that you felt the need to invoke the Bible for that line of reasoning, or that you said men make better choices.

• joelbear
    joelbear

Men rule over women because they are stronger physically, period.

That's the way nature works. Not fair, no, clearly not. But nature and life is not fair.

This nature is changing due to 3 things

1) the birth control pill

2) money -- women's growing economic power (actually number 2 is because of number 1)

3) technology -- power in the 21st century will continue to shift more to the mental from the physical due to technology (it doesn't take a lot of strength to pull a trigger and/or write a damning thesis on the internet).

The change in the man/woman power dynamic is the most important social and physiological evolutionary event in the last 2000 years.
    It will change the way

a) family units work
    b) the way cultures work
    c) the way the world works

Evolution is slow, but the equalization of the power dynamic for women is a forward step that won't retreat. I, for one, don't see this as a bad thing by any means.

hugs

Joel

• MrMoe
    MrMoe

No - you still don't get where I am coming from or what I am saying. Love would "never make somebody do something they do not want to do."

I want you all to admit it, males/husbands in the houshold usually get their way in serious family matters. We all know this is true in many cases.

• wasasister
    wasasister

Moe: I'm still puzzled. I find your wording to be a bit confusing and contradictory. Let me ask you a simple question, please?

Do you, or do you not, believe men by nature think and reason more with logic than women?

and as a follow-up....

Does the fact that women can be sensitive disqualify them from positions of leadership?

Thank you in advance for your straightforward answers.

• rodnico
    rodnico

In all the relationships I have ever been in with a man I have always been the "logical" one and the men are always the "emotional" ones. And I have always made more money. I completely disagree with you that in most homes men control all of the finances and such things. When one person in a relationship dominates finances, raising of children or whatever it sets the other mate up for a fall.

Getting off of Moe's neurosis and on to mine. I have had a problem in the past of expecting my partner to be the head/man of the house. I have worked really hard to wipe out the white knight syndrome from my brain, but it has been hard. Maybe this is what you are experiencing. Part of my JW conditioned brain said "men take care of women" "men are head of the house" and my feminist side of the brain said "I have to take care of myself" "I am the head of my own house". And to be honest I still struggle with this like Moe does.

Nicole

• wasasister
    wasasister
    I want you all to admit it, males/husbands in the houshold usually get their way in serious family matters. We all know this is true in many cases.

I'm afraid I can't accommodate you here, Moe. It's simply not true in many cases. Are you speaking only for your own household? If so, then you may.

Marketing experts will tell you this: many if not most high-ticket merchandise is targeted towards women, as they more often make these purchasing decisions.

In the most balanced of relationship, decisions are made mutually after consideration of both parties opinions and feelings.

• MrMoe
    MrMoe

(I am gonna get sooo much crap for this, so fire away, but I know you will all secretly admit I am right)

Would you want the typical female (not your ideal female, typical female) to make a world altering choice if she is on the rag?

I tell you what, I sure as hell would NOT want to make a choice if I was on the rag. I am a bitch when my hormones are raging.

You can now fire away, cause I KNOW I am gonna get some crap for this one. I really don't mean to offend, honest I don't. But would you want Hillary Clinton to be president of the USA, really? Now, Princess Diana, yes, maybe, but she has a record of mental instability as well.

Women are very fragile and everybody better watch out if she is having a bad day or has cramps.

I know many of you are loathing me right now, but deep inside, you know I have a good point.

• wasasister
    wasasister

Nope, sorry, I can't secretly or openly agree with this. You may speak for yourself only, not for other women.

I went through my life being very stable and reasonable during my cycle. I never knew PMS, but I saw my friends suffer it. I'd still rather have a woman decide important issues on or off the rag than a man with a hard-on.

You are just plain barking up the wrong tree with this one. But I still don't hate you, honey. I told you, I don't think with emotions.

How about an answer to my questions? Just so I understand where you're coming from.

Thanks

• Tina
    Tina

I also can't admit to that. That's not how it works in my household.
    I'm more experienced in many matters,thus those decisions(of a serious nature) are deferred to me, gladly too I must say(on his part). He trusts my acumen , abilities and reasoning.
    Where Dan may have more experience,I will give my input,all decisions are basically mutual. There is no 'head'. There are two distinct autonomous individuals co-existing together. There is no 'last word' by one individual. It's quite egalitarian.
    As far as a female Pres? it would be great. You have a lot of 'oldthink' patriarchal actually about women and their biology.
    In my book you're totally off base and wrong.
    Time to get your consciousness raised sweetheart and some factual information. Tina

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit