The Worst Public Talk Ever

by onesong 60 Replies latest jw friends

• onesong
    onesong

What was the absolute worst PT you had to sit thru?

I was thinking that for me the worst outline is "Get A Firm Hold On The Real Life"

Yes a life constricted by endless and ever changing rules, burdened by guilt, fear and obligation, and all the while hoping for an empty promise has got to be the "Real Life"

• nicolaou
    nicolaou

'Parents - Are You Building With Fire-Resistant Materials?'

The master indoctrinators passing on to parents the 'art' of indoctrination.

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

I don't remember any of what was said or what the title was of the public talks I went to...that's a good thing!

• slugga
    slugga

One we had in 89 about being ready for the great tribulation, holding off from getting married and not having kids.

That talk changed my life. Thanks Jehovah. Had it not been for that talk i might very well still be in the org and be married with loads of kids. Unfortunately it re-enforced the idea in the mind of the sister i was seeing about not having children which meant that I wouldn't be getting any. That was the beginning of the end for that relationship and the way I was treated after saw me leaving for good

• jgnat
    jgnat

"Firm Hold" "Cling". Such strong language. What does it make you think of? Does God want us to cling to Him like lint? Are we portrayed as needy and dependent children in the Gospels?

....and since we have a great priest over the house of God, let us draw near to God with a sincere heart in full assurance of faith, having our hearts sprinkled to cleanse us from a guilty conscience and having our bodies washed with pure water. Let us hold unswervingly to the hope we profess, for he who promised is faithful. Hebrews 10: 21-23 (NIV)

Hebrews 10: 21 (NWT) and since we have a great priest over the house of God, 22 let us approach with true hearts in the full assurance of faith, having had our hearts sprinkled from a wicked conscience and our bodies bathed with clean water. 23 Let us hold fast the public declaration of our hope without wavering, for he is faithful that promised.

"Draw Near" G4334, proserchomai, pros-er'-khom-ahee

From G4314 and G2064 (including its alternate); to approach, that is, (literally) come near, visit, or (figuratively) worship, assent to: - (as soon as he) come (unto), come thereunto, consent, draw near, go (near, to, unto).

"Hold Unswervingly" G2722,

katecho¯, kat-ekh'-o

From G2596 and G2192; to hold down (fast), in various applications (literally or figuratively): - have, hold (fast), keep (in memory), let, X make toward, possess, retain, seize on, stay, take, withhold.

• unclebruce
    unclebruce
    I don't remember any of what was said or what the title was of the public talks I went to...that's a good thing!

.. so mj, you just sat there daydream'n about sex eh! ... me too Worse talk I ever gave was about bad habits ..the evils of gambling etc.. - my heart just wasn't in it, having that day bought a lottery ticket

• Wolfgirl
    Wolfgirl

My father was an elder, and I often had to go with him to other congregations when he had to give a talk. I think there was one called "Can You Live Forever? Will You?" Something like that, anyway. I heard that damn talk so many times, I could have given it myself. :P

• slugga
    slugga

Going off thread completly, Why "wolfgirl" as a name?

• Mulan
    Mulan

Probably the worst talk was the delivery, not the subject matter. An elder from a nearby congregation, was just the worst speaker ever, and they kept sending him out. Our PO was clueless about lots of things, and against the protests of the other elders, he kept scheduling him. This guy had a complete monotone voice, and you could be asleep in seconds.................boring!!!

The most embarrassing talk was given over and over by one of our older elders, a dear, lovely man that we were pretty close to. I think it was "The Godly view of Sex and Marriage"...........he got really detailed, and it was very uncomfortable. No one ever reined him in though and we heard it several times. Funny when he did the talk on The Days of Noah and the Flood, he incorporated a lot of the same information into it from the Sex talk, so we called it "The Godly View of Sex and the Flood". At least he was a really good speaker, and he held our attention.

• blondie
    blondie

There was one elder who fancied himself an expert on science and medicine and rambled on and on. When we saw him scheduled to talk we went to another congo or out of town that weekend. We weren't the only ones either. Once we got caught when he substituted, but we left after 5 minutes complaining of flu-like symptoms.

Blondie

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit