The Worst Public Talk Ever

by onesong 60 Replies latest jw friends

• morning glory
    morning glory

"I've got to ask... what were they planning on pumping from her stomach?"

Don't know! I didn't ask him and he didn't elaborate further! Cheers!

MORNING GLORY

• love2Bworldly
    love2Bworldly

Elsewhere -- LMAO I can't stop giggling at work. I was wondering the same thing!!!

• Virgochik
    Virgochik

Hehehe, Elsewhere, ya naughty man! (My hubby agrees with you and we don't call an ambulance at those, ah-hem, times.)

We had a dull Brother give a talk once, about how youth should avoid immorality. He said, young people are eager to try sex because they think there will be rockets and bells and fireworks, but I can assure you, nothing like that really happens during sex, trust me, as a married man, I know sex is ok, but not that exciting. His wife was in the audience, just mortified! Shortly afterwards, she ran off with another elder and left Brother Dullballs with the five kids!

• Legolas
    Legolas
    The Worst Public Talk Ever

I don't know about the talk BUT I can tell you WHO were the WORST speakers!

• love2Bworldly
    love2Bworldly

Actually 2 talks come to my mind.

The first one--the brother was describing the New System and how he could throw his glasses away and he made a gesture by taking his glasses off and pretending to throw them. I have the last laugh on that brother--I had Lasik surgery a few months ago and guess what! I threw out my glasses and not because of the New System!

The second one is the last public talk I ever attended. The brother said we should be single like the angels are, who are happy having sexless lives. Ugggghhhhh!!!

• anewme
    anewme

I think I've read here other experiences with THE C.O. FROM HELL!!!!

Have you had the pleasure of one of his visits? Unbelievable! Unforgettable!!

The C.O. FROM HELL came through our circuit and his whole manner and all his talks were very arrogant!
    He literally chewed the congregation out about every little thing!
    You'd think we were going to get fired! But wait a sec! We arent bad employees! This is a Christian church right? And he is here to encourage us right?

Oh woe was us for three years til this man and his conceited wife were transferred to another part of the country!

• DigitalFokus
    DigitalFokus
    the worst public talk ever

my 2nd and last talk ever given. where all you do is read a load of bible verses..had been out drinking the night before and didn't get home till 9am wasted. then had to get up and read all hungover from the same day.

• VM44
    VM44

This was mentioned as the worst public talk ever, so, of course, I had to do some research on it. --VM44

REACH OUT FOR THE REAL LIFE

Jehovah's Witnesses Public Talk Outline No 90

THE WORLDLY VIEW OF THE REAL LIFE

(6 min.) Some think that they are really living by pursuing pleasure They may seek pleasure so intently that they virtually say: "Let us eat and drink, for tomorrow we are to die" (1 Cor. 15:32)
    Often neglect health, family, especially spiritual welfare
    Many thus fit description of those in last days who are "lovers of pleasures rather than lovers of God" (2 Tim. 3:1-4)

Solomon did not find real life in pleasure, possessions, but saw that such things are vanity (Eccl. 2:17; it-2 p. 250)

Others, too, know real life does not result from possessions
    American billionaire H. Ross Perot told Harvard business school students: "If you make a lot of money, if you go out and buy a lot of stuff-it's [going to] break.... Things just don't mean happiness." (Fortune, September 11, 1989, p. 50)

Scientist Albert Einstein stated: "Possessions, outward success, publicity, luxury-to me these have always been contemptible. I believe that a simple and unassuming manner of life is best for everyone." (The New Dictionary of Thoughts, p. 622)

Since it is not associated with pursuit of pleasure and possessions, what is the real life?

WHAT THE REAL LIFE IS (5 min.)
    Apostle Paul spoke of the real life in 1 Timothy chapter 6
    Paul counselled Timothy to pursue godly virtues, get a firm hold on everlasting life (Read 1 Timothy 6:11, 12)

We should trust in God, treasure up fine foundation for future so as to get firm hold on the real life (Read 1 Timothy 6:17-19)

Analyzing Paul's words helps us to determine what "the real life" is (w73 pp. 329, 463) 1 Timothy 6:12 says: `Get a firm hold on everlasting life'

Verse 19 speaks of `getting a firm hold on the real life' Hence, the real life is everlasting life with God's approval It is immortal heavenly life for Jesus' anointed followers For others, it is eternal life in earthly Paradise (Luke 23:43)

HOW TO GET A FIRM HOLD ON THE REAL LIFE AND MAINTAIN IT (17 min.)
    Must accept ransom, give full devotion to God after taking steps resulting in baptism (w89 1/15 p. 15; it-2 p. 249)

Necessary to prove faith by fine works (Jas. 2:26; cj p. 92) Vital to share in the fine work of Kingdom preaching We must work to maintain our hold on the real life

Keep mind on spiritual things, guard heart (Col. 3:2; Prov. 4:23; it-2 p. 249)

Need to deaden fleshly desires and cultivate fruitage of God's spirit (Col. 3:5; Gal. 5:22, 23) Must avoid loving the world (w86 7/15 p. 13; read 1 John 2:15-17)

On 1 John 2:15-17 a professed Christian of the third century said: "Since the world hates the Christian, why do you love that which hates you? and. why do you not rather follow Christ, who both redeemed you and loves you?" (Treatise VII, par. 24)

Important to "persevere in prayer" (Rom. 12:12)

One vital aspect is asking God: "Do not bring us into temptation, but deliver us from the wicked one," Satan (Matt. 6:13; w70 pp. 190-1)
    God allows testing but does not try us with evil or let us be tempted beyond what we can bear (Jas. 1:13; 1 Cor. 10:13)

Jehovah leads us `not into temptation' by warning against evils and advising what will occur if we share in them

No. 90 10/89
    Printed in Britain f

For example, at 1 Timothy 6:9, 10 God's Word warns that the love of money can lead to injurious things and shows that this can result in our being led astray from the faith

After praying, avoid situations in which temptations arise
    Self-sacrificing spirit and full trust in God also help us to maintain a firm hold on the real life Because self-sacrificing Ruth chose true worship, God gave her "perfect wage" as Jesus' ancestress (Ruth 2:12; Matt. 1:1, 5)

HELP OTHERS TO REACH OUT FOR THE REAL LIFE (6 min.)
    With self-sacrificing spirit, we can help others to "get a firm hold on the real life" (1 Tim. 6:19) Households helped to appreciate spiritual things and grasp the real life by regular family study, meeting attendance, and ministry

Our preaching work helps others grasp real life and brings us great joy (w85 10/1 p. 23; use current Yearbook experiences)

Among those who help others to grasp the real life are missionaries trained at the Watchtower Bible School of Gilead

Margarita Königer says: "I have never regretted the decision to use my life in Jehovah's service. ... I could have pursued a materially rewarding career, but I hold this as nothing to compare with the privilege of helping people ... to learn the truth about God's grand purposes" (w78 11/1 p. 29; quote also F. E. Skinner, w90 1/1 p. 28, par. 1)

Whatever we do to help others grasp real life is rewarding

LOOK FORWARD TO THE REAL LIFE (8 min.)
    It is helpful to reflect on the blessings of the real life Anointed ones joyfully anticipate immortality in heaven Will have duties as mankind is lifted to perfection, plus privileges after Thousand Year Reign (Rev. 22:5; w80 12/1 p. 31)

Majority of Jehovah's Witnesses happily look forward to life eternal on a paradise earth

Picture yourself as survivor of "the great tribulation" taking part in making earth a paradise (Rev. 7:9, 14)

Imagine living in Paradise, where you enjoy meaningful work, unpolluted air and food, and where neither humans with beastly traits nor animals will prey upon you

You see no prisons, no homeless persons, and joy of resurrection replaces anguish of burial (Rev. 21:4; John 5:28, 29)

By the end of the Thousand Year Reign, all mankind is perfect and living in an earth-wide paradise (it-2 p. 249)

God declares worthy of eternal life those faithful during final test (Rev. 3:5; 20:5-10; re p. 290; it-2 p. 251)

True worship will flourish, ever providing spiritual sustenance for our mental and physical welfare (it-2 pp. 247-8)

KEEP FIRM YOUR HOLD ON THE REAL LIFE (3 min.)
    In these last days, lethal to occupy ourselves solely with a quest for academic achievement, wealth, fame, or worldly success
    This would cost God's approval and the real life
    As Flood wiped out mankind except Noah and his family, so destruction will be for those `taking no note' today (Matt. 24:36-42)
    Let us recognize the urgency of these days (2 Cor. 6:2)

Get a firm hold on the real life, maintain that grip, help others to grasp such life Keep that hope in heart through study, prayer, meditation

Think of the blessings ahead, and let nothing hinder you from reaching out for the real life

(Adhere closely to the outlined material and observe the indicated timing of each section. Not all cited texts need be read)
    No. 90-page 2 TO BE COVERED IN 45 MINUTES

• VM44
    VM44

And here are the references for the talk. --VM44

Reach Out for the Real Life!
    090 - Reference Material

(1 Corinthians 15:32) If, like men, I have fought with wild beasts at Eph'e·sus, of what good is it to me? If the dead are not to be raised up, "let us eat and drink, for tomorrow we are to die."

(2 Timothy 3:1-4) But know this, that in the last days critical times hard to deal with will be here. 2 For men will be lovers of themselves, lovers of money, self-assuming, haughty, blasphemers, disobedient to parents, unthankful, disloyal, 3 having no natural affection, not open to any agreement, slanderers, without self-control, fierce, without love of goodness, 4 betrayers, headstrong, puffed up [with pride], lovers of pleasures rather than lovers of God,

(Ecclesiastes 2:17) And I hated life, because the work that has been done under the sun was calamitous from my standpoint, for everything was vanity and a striving after wind.

(1 Timothy 6:11,12) However, you, O man of God, flee from these things. But pursue righteousness, godly devotion, faith, love, endurance, mildness of temper. 12 Fight the fine fight of the faith, get a firm hold on the everlasting life for which you were called and you offered the fine public declaration in front of many witnesses.

(1 Timothy 6:17-19) Give orders to those who are rich in the present system of things not to be high-minded, and to rest their hope, not on uncertain riches, but on God, who furnishes us all things richly for our enjoyment; 18 to work at good, to be rich in fine works, to be liberal, ready to share, 19 safely treasuring up for themselves a fine foundation for the future, in order that they may get a firm hold on the real life.

(1 Timothy 6:12) Fight the fine fight of the faith, get a firm hold on the everlasting life for which you were called and you offered the fine public declaration in front of many witnesses.

(Luke 23:43) And he said to him: "Truly I tell you today, You will be with me in Paradise."

(James 2:26) Indeed, as the body without spirit is dead, so also faith without works is dead.

(1 Timothy 6:12) Fight the fine fight of the faith, get a firm hold on the everlasting life for which you were called and you offered the fine public declaration in front of many witnesses.

(Colossians 3:2) Keep YOUR minds fixed on the things above, not on the things upon the earth.

(Proverbs 4:23) More than all else that is to be guarded, safeguard your heart, for out of it are the sources of life.

(Colossians 3:5) Deaden, therefore, YOUR body members that are upon the earth as respects fornication, uncleanness, sexual appetite, hurtful desire, and covetousness, which is idolatry.

(Galatians 5:22,23) On the other hand, the fruitage of the spirit is love, joy, peace, long-suffering, kindness, goodness, faith, 23 mildness, self-control. Against such things there is no law.

(1 John 2:15-17) Do not be loving either the world or the things in the world. If anyone loves the world, the love of the Father is not in him; 16 because everything in the world-the desire of the flesh and the desire of the eyes and the showy display of one's means of life-does not originate with the Father, but originates with the world. 17 Furthermore, the world is passing away and so is its desire, but he that does the will of God remains forever.

(1 John 2:15-17) Do not be loving either the world or the things in the world. If anyone loves the world, the love of the Father is not in him; 16 because everything in the world-the desire of the flesh and the desire of the eyes and the showy display of one's means of life-does not originate with the Father, but originates with the world. 17 Furthermore, the world is passing away and so is its desire, but he that does the will of God remains forever.

(Romans 12:12) Rejoice in the hope. Endure under tribulation. Persevere in prayer.

(Matthew 6:13) And do not bring us into temptation, but deliver us from the wicked one.'

(James 1:13) When under trial, let no one say: "I am being tried by God." For with evil things God cannot be tried nor does he himself try anyone.

(1 Corinthians 10:13) No temptation has taken YOU except what is common to men. But God is faithful, and he will not let YOU be tempted beyond what YOU can bear, but along with the temptation he will also make the way out in order for YOU to be able to endure it.

(1 Timothy 6:9,10) However, those who are determined to be rich fall into temptation and a snare and many senseless and hurtful desires, which plunge men into destruction and ruin. 10 For the love of money is a root of all sorts of injurious things, and by reaching out for this love some have been led astray from the faith and have stabbed themselves all over with many pains.

(Romans 2:12) For instance, all those who sinned without law will also perish without law; but all those who sinned under law will be judged by law.

(Matthew 1:1,5) The book of the history of Jesus Christ, son of David, son of Abraham: 5 Sal'mon became father to Bo'az by Ra'hab; Bo'az became father to O'bed by Ruth; O'bed became father to Jes'se;

(1 Timothy 6:19) safely treasuring up for themselves a fine foundation for the future, in order that they may get a firm hold on the real life.

(Revelation 22:5) Also, night will be no more, and they have no need of lamplight nor [do they have] sunlight, because Jehovah God will shed light upon them, and they will rule as kings forever and ever.

(Revelation 7:9,14,17) After these things I saw, and, look! a great crowd, which no man was able to number, out of all nations and tribes and peoples and tongues, standing before the throne and before the Lamb, dressed in white robes; and there were palm branches in their hands. 14 So right away I said to him: "My lord, you are the one that knows." And he said to me: "These are the ones that come out of the great tribulation, and they have washed their robes and made them white in the blood of the Lamb. 17 because the Lamb, who is in the midst of the throne, will shepherd them, and will guide them to fountains of waters of life. And God will wipe out every tear from their eyes."

(Isaiah 11:6-9) And the wolf will actually reside for a while with the male lamb, and with the kid the leopard itself will lie down, and the calf and the maned young lion and the well-fed animal all together; and a mere little boy will be leader over them. 7 And the cow and the bear themselves will feed; together their young ones will lie down. And even the lion will eat straw just like the bull. 8 And the sucking child will certainly play upon the hole of the cobra; and upon the light aperture of a poisonous snake will a weaned child actually put his own hand. 9 They will not do any harm or cause any ruin in all my holy mountain; because the earth will certainly be filled with the knowledge of Jehovah as the waters are covering the very sea.

(Isaiah 65:21-23) And they will certainly build houses and have occupancy; and they will certainly plant vineyards and eat [their] fruitage. 22 They will not build and someone else have occupancy; they will not plant and someone else do the eating. For like the days of a tree will the days of my people be; and the work of their own hands my chosen ones will use to the full. 23 They will not toil for nothing, nor will they bring to birth for disturbance; because they are the offspring made up of the blessed ones of Jehovah, and their descendants with them.

(Revelation 21:4) And he will wipe out every tear from their eyes, and death will be no more, neither will mourning nor outcry nor pain be anymore. The former things have passed away."

(John 5:28,29) Do not marvel at this, because the hour is coming in which all those in the memorial tombs will hear his voice 29 and come out, those who did good things to a resurrection of life, those who practiced vile things to a resurrection of judgment.

(Revelation 20:5-10) (The rest of the dead did not come to life until the thousand years were ended.) This is the first resurrection. 6 Happy and holy is anyone having part in the first resurrection; over these the second death has no authority, but they will be priests of God and of the Christ, and will rule as kings with him for the thousand years. 7 Now as soon as the thousand years have been ended, Satan will be let loose out of his prison, 8 and he will go out to mislead those nations in the four corners of the earth, Gog and Ma'gog, to gather them together for the war. The number of these is as the sand of the sea. 9 And they advanced over the breadth of the earth and encircled the camp of the holy ones and the beloved city. But fire came down out of heaven and devoured them. 10 And the Devil who was misleading them was hurled into the lake of fire and sulphur, where both the wild beast and the false prophet [already were]; and they will be tormented day and night forever and ever.

(Matthew 24:36-42) "Concerning that day and hour nobody knows, neither the angels of the heavens nor the Son, but only the Father. 37 For just as the days of Noah were, so the presence of the Son of man will be. 38 For as they were in those days before the flood, eating and drinking, men marrying and women being given in marriage, until the day that Noah entered into the ark; 39 and they took no note until the flood came and swept them all away, so the presence of the Son of man will be. 40 Then two men will be in the field: one will be taken along and the other be abandoned; 41 two women will be grinding at the hand mill: one will be taken along and the other be abandoned. 42 Keep on the watch, therefore, because YOU do not know on what day YOUR Lord is coming.

(Joshua 6:2) And Jehovah went on to say to Joshua: "See, I have given Jer'i·cho and its king, the valiant mighty men, into your hand.

(1 Timothy 6:19) safely treasuring up for themselves a fine foundation for the future, in order that they may get a firm hold on the real life.

-----------------------------------------------

it-2 250 Life

This Present Life. King Solomon, after trying out everything this life has to offer in the way of riches, houses, gardens, and forms of enjoyment, came to the conclusion: "I hated life, because the work that has been done under the sun was calamitous from my standpoint, for everything was vanity and a striving after wind." (Ec 2:17) Solomon did not hate life itself, for it is a 'good gift and perfect present from above.' (Jas 1:17) Solomon hated the calamitous, vain life that one experiences in living as does the present world of mankind, subject to futility. (Ro 8:20) At the conclusion of his book Solomon gave the exhortation to fear the true God and keep his commandments, which is the way of real life. (Ec 12:13, 14; 1Ti 6:19) The apostle Paul spoke of himself and fellow Christians, saying that, after their strenuous preaching and bearing witness to Christ and the resurrection in the face of persecution, "if in this life only we have hoped in Christ, we are of all men most to be pitied." Why? Because they would have relied on a false hope. "However," Paul continued, "now Christ has been raised up from the dead." "Consequently, my beloved brothers," he concluded, "become steadfast, unmovable, always having plenty to do in the work of the Lord, knowing that your labor is not in vain in connection with the Lord."-1Co 15:19, 20, 58.

------------------------------

it-2 249 Life

The Way of Life. Jehovah, the Fountain of life, has revealed the way of life through his Word of truth. The Lord Jesus Christ "shed light upon life and incorruption through the good news." (2Ti 1:10) He told his disciples: "It is the spirit that is life-giving; the flesh is of no use at all. The sayings that I have spoken to you are spirit and are life." A little later Jesus asked his apostles whether they were going to leave him, as others had. Peter replied: "Lord, whom shall we go away to? You have sayings of everlasting life." (Joh 6:63, 66-68) The apostle John called Jesus "the word of life," and said: "By means of him was life."-1Jo 1:1, 2; Joh 1:4.

From Jesus' words it is evident that human efforts to prolong life indefinitely or theories that certain diets or regimens will bring life to mankind are futile. At best, they can bring improved health only temporarily. The only way of life is obedience to the good news, "the word of life." (Php 2:16) To get life, the individual must keep his mind fixed "on the things above, not on the things upon the earth." (Col 3:1, 2) To his hearers Jesus said: "He that hears my word and believes him that sent me has everlasting life, and he does not come into judgment but has passed over from death to life." (Joh 5:24; 6:40) They are no longer condemned sinners, in the way of death. The apostle Paul wrote: "Therefore those in union with Christ Jesus have no condemnation. For the law of that spirit which gives life in union with Christ Jesus has set you free from the law of sin and of death." (Ro 8:1, 2) John says that a Christian knows he has 'passed from death to life' if he loves his brothers.-1Jo 3:14.

Since "there is not another name under heaven that has been given among men by which we must get saved," the seeker for life must follow Christ. (Ac 4:12) Jesus showed that a person must be conscious of his spiritual need; he must hunger and thirst for righteousness. (Mt 5:3, 6) Not only must he hear the good news but he must exercise faith in Jesus Christ and through him call on the name of Jehovah. (Ro 10:13-15) Following Jesus' example, he will be baptized in water. (Mt 3:13-15; Eph 4:5) He must then keep on seeking the Kingdom and Jehovah's righteousness.-Mt 6:33.

w93 4/1 5-6 Should You Be Baptized?

In What Manner?

But how were these new disciples to be baptized in water? Was it to be by aspersion (sprinkling), affusion (pouring on the head), or immersion (complete submersion)? What does the Bible record show? Since Jesus left us a model for us "to follow his steps closely," in what manner was he baptized?-1 Peter 2:21.

The Bible shows that Jesus was baptized in the Jordan, a sizable river. After being baptized, he came "up out of the water." (Mark 1:10; Matthew 3:13, 16) So Jesus had actually been immersed in the Jordan River. He was baptized by John, who, in looking for a suitable place to perform baptisms, chose a location in the Jordan Valley near Salim "because there was a great quantity of water there." (John 3:23) The fact that complete submersion in water was the standard baptismal practice among Jesus' followers is seen by the words of the Ethiopian eunuch. Responding to the teaching of Philip, he exclaimed: "Look! A body of water; what prevents me from getting baptized?" Then we note that "they both went down into the water" and afterward came "up out of the water."-Acts 8:36-39.

Does secular history also point to the practice of baptism by immersion among Christians? Indeed it does. And it is interesting to note that many large baptismal basins suitable for immersions still exist in a number of lands. "The archaeological evidence overwhelmingly testifies to immersion as the usual mode of baptism during the first ten to fourteen centuries," says the journal Ministry. It adds: "Among the ruins of early Christian structures, and also in ancient churches still in use, the history of Christian baptism can be traced. Paintings in catacombs and churches, mosaics on floors, walls, and ceilings, sculptured reliefs, and drawings in ancient New Testament manuscripts add details to this history . . . This is in addition to the evidence found throughout the writings of the church fathers that immersion was the early church's common mode of baptism."

Admits the New Catholic Encyclopedia: "It is evident that Baptism in the early Church was by immersion." Not surprisingly, then, we find newspaper headlines like these: "Catholics Bring Back Immersion Baptism" (The Edmonton Journal, Canada, September 24, 1983), "Baptism by Immersion Catches On With Catholics Here" (St. Louis Post-Dispatch, April 7, 1985), "Many Catholics Choosing Baptism by Immersion" (The New York Times, March 25, 1989), and "Immersion Baptisms Enjoying Revival" (The Houston Chronicle, August 24, 1991).

For What Purpose?

Why did Jesus require that his disciples be baptized? Well, it was a fitting symbol of their wholehearted dedication to God. The "good news" was to be preached earth wide, and disciples were to be made of "people of all the nations." (Matthew 24:14; 28:19) This meant that God was no longer dealing exclusively with the Jewish nation, made up of people who were dedicated to him from birth. Cornelius and his family were the first Gentiles, or non-Jews, to accept the truth about Jesus Christ and be baptized.

Being dipped under the water showed that those being baptized had died to a life course that had centered on themselves. Their being raised up out of the water symbolized that they were now alive to the doing of God's will and were putting it first in their lives, as Jesus had done. (Matthew 16:24) Being baptized "in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the holy spirit" indicated that they had learned and accepted the truth about each of these and recognized them for what they are. (Matthew 28:19; compare Acts 13:48.) Baptism was simply an initial step of obedience to God and submission to his will.

The Scriptures do not support the widely held religious view that baptism is a sacrament, that is, a religious ceremony imparting merit-grace, holiness, or spiritual benefit-to the one baptized. For instance, the papal bull of Pope Eugenius IV quoted in the preceding article went on to say regarding baptism: "The effect of this sacrament is the remission of all sin, original and actual; likewise of all punishment which is due for sin. As a consequence, no satisfaction for past sins is enjoined upon those who are baptized; and if they die before they commit any sin, they attain immediately to the kingdom of heaven and the vision of God."

However, Jesus was baptized although he "committed no sin." (1 Peter 2:22) Moreover, according to the Scriptures, remission of sins comes only through the ransom sacrifice of Jesus Christ. Ananias urged Saul of Tarsus: "Rise, get baptized and wash your sins away by your calling upon [Jesus'] name." (Acts 22:12-16) Yes, salvation is possible only by means of the shed blood of Jesus and by "calling upon his name" in faith.-Hebrews 9:22; 1 John 1:7.

What, then, of Peter's words at 1 Peter 3:21? There he says: "That which corresponds to this is also now saving you, namely, baptism, (not the putting away of the filth of the flesh, but the request made to God for a good conscience,) through the resurrection of Jesus Christ." Peter was comparing baptism to Noah's experience of passing through the waters of the Flood. (1Pe 3 Verse 20) Noah, showing full faith in God, built the ark for the preservation of his family. (Hebrews 11:7) Similarly, by exercising faith in Jehovah God and his provision for salvation through Christ Jesus, people today can be saved from this present wicked world. They must also act on that faith. By repenting of sins, turning around from a wrong course, and making an unreserved dedication to Jehovah God in prayer, the request is made to God for a good conscience. But it is on the basis of Jesus' sacrifice, and his resurrection by which he presented the value of that sacrifice to God in heaven, that sins are forgiven and salvation is possible.-1 Peter 3:22.

w86 7/15 13 Keep Walking in Divine Light

A Love We Must Not Have

16 Whether we are younger or older Christians, there is a love we must not have. (Read 1 John 2:15-17.) We must 'not love the world or anything in it.' Rather, we need to keep from becoming spotted by the corruption of unrighteous human society and must not breathe in its "spirit," or be motivated by its sinful dominant attitude. (Ephesians 2:1, 2; James 1:27) If we were to have worldly views and aspirations, "the love of the Father" would not be in us. (James 4:4) That really is food for prayerful thought, is it not?

17 "Everything in the world" does not originate with God. This includes "the desire of the flesh," the satisfying of which means gratifying such sinful yearnings as immoral sexual desires. (1 Corinthians 6:15-20; Galatians 5:19-21) Also to be avoided is yielding to "the desire of the eyes." The visually desirable forbidden fruit enticed Eve, and David's viewing of Bath-sheba while she was bathing led to gross sin. (Genesis 3:6; 2 Samuel 11:2-17) To keep walking in divine light, then, we must avoid debased entertainment and other things that appeal to sinful desires and corrupt the heart.-Proverbs 2:10-22; 4:20-27.

18 Also originating with the world is "the showy display of one's means of life." A proud person may boast about his wealth, his wardrobe, and the like, all of which can be lost. His "showy display" may impress some people and bring fleeting praise but not divine blessing.-Matthew 6:2, 5, 16, 19-21; James 4:16.

19 Remember that "the world is passing away" and will be destroyed. (2 Peter 3:6) Its desires and hopes will perish with it, as will individuals loving it. "But," says John, "he that does the will of God remains forever." So let us keep eternal life in view by 'repudiating worldly desires' and continuing to walk in divine light.-Titus 2:11-14.

w90 1/15 5-6 Whose Prayers Are Answered?

"Pray . . . This Way"

Jesus next gave what many call the model prayer. (Matthew 6:9-13) He said: "You must pray, then, this way: 'Our Father in the heavens, let your name be sanctified.'" Addressing God as "our Father" indicates that others also have a close relationship with him as part of his family of worshipers. The sanctification of God's name, Jehovah, is of utmost importance, but how will he sanctify it? By removing the wicked, he will clear away from that name all the reproach that has been heaped upon it.-Ezekiel 38:23.

"Let your kingdom come. Let your will take place, as in heaven, also upon earth," added Jesus. God's rulership as expressed in his Son's heavenly Messianic Kingdom will soon come against all opposers of divine sovereignty, removing them from the earth. (Daniel 2:44) But what is meant when we ask that God's will take place upon earth as in heaven? This is a request that Jehovah carry out his purposes toward the earth, including the removal of his opposers.-Revelation 16:14-16; 19:11-21.

Having put God, His sanctification, and His purposes first in the model prayer, Jesus continued: "Give us today our bread for this day." Asking Jehovah to provide necessities "for this day" promotes faith in his ability to care for the daily needs of his worshipers. This is not a selfish request for excessive provisions.

Jesus added: "And forgive us our debts, as we also have forgiven our debtors." (Luke 11:4 shows that these "debts" are "sins.") We can obtain forgiveness from God only if we have forgiven those sinning against us. (Matthew 6:14, 15) Fittingly, then, the apostle Paul said: "Even as Jehovah freely forgave you, so do you also."-Colossians 3:13.

Concluding the model prayer, Jesus said: "And do not bring us into temptation, but deliver us from the wicked one." Jehovah never tempts people "with evil things." (James 1:13) Temptation comes from the wicked one, Satan the Devil, but the Bible sometimes says that God's permitting certain things amounts to his doing them. (Ruth 1:20, 21; Ecclesiastes 7:13) In answer to the request, "Do not bring us into temptation," Jehovah does not abandon his faithful servants, though he permits them to be tempted. Indeed, "God is faithful, and he will not let you be tempted beyond what you can bear, but along with the temptation he will also make the way out in order for you to be able to endure it."-1 Corinthians 10:13.

When we request deliverance from the wicked one, we are asking that the Devil not be allowed to overcome us as Jehovah's faithful worshipers. If we are loyal servants of God, we can be confident that he will answer such a petition, since the apostle Peter wrote: "Jehovah knows how to deliver people of godly devotion out of trial." (2 Peter 2:9) And how important this part of the model prayer is, for Satan the Devil "walks about like a roaring lion, seeking to devour someone"!-1 Peter 5:8.

Why Their Prayers Are Answered

God answers the prayers of his faithful worshipers. Why? In part, Jehovah does so because they pray to him alone, making their approach through Jesus Christ. They shun wickedness and avoid hypocritical and repetitive prayers. Instead of repeating the model prayer by rote, Witnesses of Jehovah use its splendid guidelines in expressing their own heartfelt sentiments to God. But there are yet other reasons why their prayers are answered.

Those whose prayers are answered have met basic requirements. Citing these, Paul wrote: "He that approaches God must believe that he is and that he becomes the rewarder of those earnestly seeking him." (Hebrews 11:6) Note these two basic points: Jehovah answers the prayers of (1) those who believe that God is, or exists, and (2) those who are "earnestly seeking him."

One such first-century individual was the devout Gentile Cornelius. He believed that God is, and he was earnestly seeking him. What did Cornelius do upon gaining accurate knowledge? Why, he wholeheartedly dedicated himself to Jehovah God and was baptized to symbolize that dedication. Thereafter, Cornelius apparently had a close relationship with God, and this would have had a positive effect on his prayers.-Acts 10:1-44.

Before Cornelius was baptized, his prayers only "ascended as a remembrance before God." (Acts 10:4) However, by making a dedication to God on the basis of his belief in Jesus' ransom sacrifice, and being baptized, Cornelius unreservedly gave himself to Jehovah. This established a wonderful closeness between God and this devout man-a relationship giving Cornelius the unrestricted privilege of prayer. (James 4:8) He could approach his heavenly Father through Christ Jesus with the expectation of being heard. That is what happens to all who dedicate themselves to God through Christ and get baptized. They too have the unrestricted privilege of prayer.

Surely, you desire to have your prayers answered. Therefore, if you are not now serving Jehovah as one of his dedicated worshipers, how wise to seek him earnestly! Pursue a course like that of Cornelius, and God will answer your prayers.

w78 11/1 29 quote Check outline

w90 1/1 28 Rejoicing at the Harvest in India

As told by F. E. Skinner

TO ME it was almost beyond belief-21 conventions in ten languages, over 15,000 in attendance to learn the meaning of divine justice, and 545 baptized to symbolize their love for the great God of justice, Jehovah! For the 9,000 Jehovah's Witnesses in India, this was a highlight of 1989. But for me it was especially a cause for rejoicing. Why? Because I could hardly have imagined such grand events when I first stepped onto Indian soil in July 1926. Then there were fewer than 70 publishers of the Kingdom message in the entire country. What an assignment my partner and I received over 63 years ago!

re 313 The Resplendent City

29 John continues: "Also, night will be no more, and they have no need of lamplight nor do they have sunlight, because Jehovah God will shed light upon them." (Revelation 22:5a) Ancient Jerusalem, like any other city on earth, relied on the sun for light by day and on moonlight and artificial light by night. But in heavenly New Jerusalem, such lighting will be unnecessary. The city will be illuminated by Jehovah himself. "Night" may also be used in a figurative sense, referring to adversity or separation from Jehovah. (Micah 3:6; John 9:4; Romans 13:11, 12) There could never be that kind of night in the glorious, radiant presence of the almighty God.

30 John closes out this magnificent vision by saying of these slaves of God: "And they will rule as kings forever and ever." (Revelation 22:5b) True, at the end of the thousand years, the benefits of the ransom will have been applied to completion, and Jesus will present a perfected human race to his Father. (1 Corinthians 15:25-28) What Jehovah has in mind for Jesus and the 144,000 after that, we do not know. But Revelation assures us that their privileged sacred service to Jehovah will continue into all eternity.

Revelation's Happy Climax

31 The realization of this vision of New Jerusalem, the Lamb's bride, is the happy climax to which Revelation points, and fittingly so. All of John's first-century fellow Christians to whom the book was initially addressed looked forward to entering into that city as immortal spirit corulers with Jesus Christ. The remnant of anointed Christians still alive today on earth have the same hope. Thus Revelation moves on to its grand climax, as the completed bride is united with the Lamb. Next, by means of New Jerusalem, the benefits of Jesus' ransom sacrifice will be applied to mankind, so that eventually all faithful ones will enter into everlasting life. In this way the bride, New Jerusalem, as a loyal helpmeet to her Bridegroom King, will share in building up for eternity a righteous new earth-all to the glory of our Sovereign Lord Jehovah.-Matthew 20:28; John 10:10, 16; Romans 16:27.

32 What joy we feel, then, as we draw to the close of our consideration of the book of Revelation! We have seen the final efforts of Satan and his seed utterly frustrated and Jehovah's righteous judgments carried out to completion. Babylon the Great must go out of existence forever, to be followed by all other hopelessly corrupt elements of Satan's world. Satan himself and his demons will be abyssed and later destroyed. New Jerusalem will rule with Christ from the heavens as the resurrection and judgment proceed, and perfected mankind will finally come to enjoy everlasting life in the Paradise earth. How vividly Revelation portrays all these things! How it strengthens our determination to 'declare this everlasting good news as glad tidings to every nation and tribe and tongue and people' on earth today! (Revelation 14:6, 7) Are you expending yourself to the full in this great work?

33 With our hearts so full of gratitude, let us give attention to the concluding words of Revelation.

re 290 Crushing the Serpent's Head

The Rest of the Dead

14 Whom, though, will these kings judge if, as the apostle John here inserts, "(the rest of the dead did not come to life until the thousand years were ended)"? (Revelation 20:5a) Again, the expression "come to life" has to be understood according to context. This expression can have varying meanings in varying circumstances. For example, Paul said of his anointed fellow Christians: "It is you God made alive though you were dead in your trespasses and sins." (Ephesians 2:1) Yes, spirit-anointed Christians were "made alive," even in the first century, being declared righteous on the basis of their faith in Jesus' sacrifice.-Romans 3:23, 24.

15 Similarly, pre-Christian witnesses of Jehovah were declared righteous as to friendship with God; and Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob were spoken of as "living" even though they were physically dead. (Matthew 22:31, 32; James 2:21, 23) However, they and all others who are resurrected, as well as the great crowd of faithful other sheep who survive Armageddon and any children that may be born to these in the new world, must yet be raised to human perfection. This will be accomplished by Christ and his associate kings and priests during the thousand-year Judgment Day, on the basis of Jesus' ransom sacrifice. By the end of that Day, "the rest of the dead" will have "come to life" in the sense that they will be perfect humans. As we shall see, they must then pass a final test, but they will face that test as perfected humans. When they pass the test, God will declare them worthy of living forever, righteous in the fullest sense. They will experience the complete fulfillment of the promise: "The righteous themselves will possess the earth, and they will reside forever upon it." (Psalm 37:29) What a delightful future is in store for obedient mankind!

it-2 251 Life

What is signified by one's name being written in God's "book" or "scroll of life"?

The writing of a person's name in "the book of life" does not predestine that one to eternal life. His name's remaining there depends on his obedience. Thus Moses pleaded with Jehovah for Israel: "Now if you will pardon their sin,-and if not, wipe me out, please, from your book that you have written." Jehovah answered: "Whoever has sinned against me, I shall wipe him out of my book." (Ex 32:32, 33) This indicates that the list of names in "the book" would undergo changes because of disobedience on the part of some, their names being 'wiped' or 'blotted' out from "the book."-Re 3:5.

In the judgment scene at Revelation 20:11-15, during Christ's Millennial Reign "the scroll of life" is shown as opened to receive additional names; scrolls of instruction are also opened. Those who come back in the 'resurrection of the unrighteous' will thus have the opportunity of having their names written on "the scroll of life," provided they obediently perform deeds that are in harmony with the scrolls of instruction. (Ac 24:15) Of course, faithful servants of God who come back in the 'resurrection of the righteous' will already have their names in "the scroll of life." By their loyal obedience to the divine instructions, they will keep their names in it.

How does a person get his name permanently retained in "the book of life"? For those who are in line to receive heavenly life, it is by 'conquering' this world through faith, proving themselves "faithful even to death." (Re 2:10; 3:5) For those who are in line to receive life on earth, it is by proving loyal to Jehovah through a final, decisive test at the end of Christ's Millennial Reign. (Re 20:7, 8) Those who maintain integrity through that final test will have their names retained permanently by God in "the book of life," Jehovah thus acknowledging that they are righteous in the complete sense and worthy of the right to everlasting life on earth.-Ro 8:33.

"The Lamb's scroll." "The scroll of life of the Lamb" is a separate scroll, apparently containing only the names of those with whom the Lamb, Jesus Christ, shares his Kingdom rule, including those still on earth who are in line to receive heavenly life. (Re 13:8; compare Re 14:1, 4.) Those enrolled in "the Lamb's scroll" are spoken of as entering the holy city, New Jerusalem, thus becoming part of the heavenly Messianic Kingdom. (Re 21:2, 22-27) Their names are written both in "the Lamb's scroll" and in the other scroll, God's "book of life."-Php 4:3; Re 3:5.

River of Water of Life. In John's vision in the book of Revelation, he saw "a river of water of life, clear as crystal, flowing out from the throne of God and of the Lamb" down the middle of the broad way of the holy city, New Jerusalem. (Re 22:1, 2; 21:2) Water is essential for life. The time setting given in the vision is after the establishment of "a new heaven and a new earth; for the former heaven and the former earth had passed away." (Re 21:1) The context places the flowing of this river after the destruction of the present system of things. The vision speaks of trees alongside the river producing fruit, and of leaves for the curing of the nations. The life-giving waters, then, would be the provisions for life that Jehovah has made through the Lamb, Jesus Christ, for all on earth who will receive life.

After reporting other details of the inspired revelation, John wrote: "The spirit and the bride keep on saying: 'Come!'" and he commanded anyone hearing to say: "Come!" then extending the invitation to anyone thirsting to "take life's water free." Even before the end of the present wicked system of things the spirit and the bride invite persons to begin drinking of God's provisions for gaining eternal life through the Lamb of God. Such invited ones also can anticipate drinking from the river of water of life in such a way that they will experience complete healing under the ministrations of the Lamb and his bride after the old system has been destroyed.-Re 22:17.

it-2 247-8 Life

Aging and Death. All forms of vegetable life, as well as animal life, are transitory. A long-standing question among scientists has been, Why does man grow old and die?

Some scientists propose that there is a genetically determined life span for each cell. For support they point to experiments in which cells cultured in an artificial environment were found to stop dividing after about 50 divisions. Other scientists, however, contend that such experiments do not provide insight into why whole organisms age. Various other explanations are offered, including the theory that the brain releases hormones that play a large part in aging and subsequent death. That a person must be cautious about accepting one theory over another is suggested by the comments of Roy L. Walford, M.D., who said: "It's not a cause for alarm or even surprise that Hayflick's paradigm [the theory that aging is built into the cell's genetics] may prove ultimately false, or be replaced by a better but ultimately equally false paradigm. Everything is true for its own time."-Maximum Life Span, 1983, p. 75.

In considering the findings and conclusions of scientists, it should be noted that most do not credit life to a Creator. Through their own efforts, they hope to discover the secret of aging and death so as to extend human life indefinitely. They overlook the fact that the Creator himself decreed the death sentence for the first human pair, implementing that sentence in a way that man does not fully understand; similarly, he holds forth the prize of everlasting life to those who exercise faith in his Son.-Ge 2:16, 17; 3:16-19; Joh 3:16.

Adam lost life for himself and offspring. When Adam was created, God placed in the garden of Eden "the tree of life." (Ge 2:9) This tree evidently had no intrinsic life-giving qualities in its fruit, but it represented God's guarantee of life "to time indefinite" to the one whom God would allow to eat of its fruit. Since the tree was put there by God for some purpose, undoubtedly Adam would have been permitted to eat this fruit after proving faithful to a point that God considered satisfactory and sufficient. When Adam transgressed, he was prevented from having opportunity to eat from the tree, Jehovah saying: "Now in order that he may not put his hand out and actually take fruit also from the tree of life and eat and live to time indefinite,-." Then Jehovah followed his words with action. He would not allow one unworthy of life to live in the garden made for righteous persons and to eat of the tree of life.-Ge 3:22, 23.

Adam, who had enjoyed perfect life contingent on obedience to Jehovah (Ge 2:17; De 32:4), now experienced in himself the workings of sin and its fruitage, death. His life's vigor was strong, nevertheless. Even in his sad situation, cut off from God and true spirituality, he lived 930 years before death overtook him. In the meantime he was able to pass on, not fullness of life, but a measure of life to his posterity, many of whom lived from 700 to 900 years. (Ge 5:3-32) But the process that took place with Adam is described by Jesus' half brother James: "Each one is tried by being drawn out and enticed by his own desire. Then the desire, when it has become fertile, gives birth to sin; in turn, sin, when it has been accomplished, brings forth death."-Jas 1:14, 15.

What Man Needs for Life. Most scientific investigators not only overlook the cause of death in all mankind, but more important, they ignore the prime factor requisite for everlasting life. While it is necessary for the human body to be constantly nourished and refreshed by breathing, drinking, and eating, there is something far more essential for continuance of life. The principle was expressed by Jehovah: "Not by bread alone does man live but by every expression of Jehovah's mouth does man live." (De 8:3) Jesus Christ repeated this statement and also said: "My food is for me to do the will of him that sent me and to finish his work." (Joh 4:34; Mt 4:4) On another occasion he declared: "Just as the living Father sent me forth and I live because of the Father, he also that feeds on me, even that one will live because of me."-Joh 6:57.

When man was created, he was made in God's image, according to his likeness. (Ge 1:26, 27) This, of course, did not mean physical image or appearance, for God is a Spirit, and man is flesh. (Ge 6:3; Joh 4:24) It meant that man, different from the "unreasoning animals" (2Pe 2:12), had reasoning power; he had attributes like those of God, such as love, a sense of justice, wisdom, and power. (Compare Col 3:10.) He had the ability to understand why he existed and his Creator's purpose toward him. Hence he, unlike the animals, was given the capacity for spirituality. He could appreciate and worship his Creator. This capacity created a need in Adam. He needed more than literal food; he had to have spiritual sustenance; his spirituality had to be exercised for his mental and physical welfare.

Consequently, apart from Jehovah God and his spiritual provisions there can be no indefinite continuance of life. As to living forever, Jesus said: "This means everlasting life, their taking in knowledge of you, the only true God, and of the one whom you sent forth, Jesus Christ."-Joh 17:3.

Regeneration. With a view to restoring to mankind perfection of organism and the prospect of eternal life, Jehovah has provided the truth, "the word of life." (Joh 17:17; Php 2:16) Following the truth will lead one to a knowledge of God's provision of Jesus Christ, who gave himself "a ransom in exchange for many." (Mt 20:28) Only through this means can man be restored to full spirituality as well as to physical wholeness.-Ac 4:12; 1Co 1:30; 15:23-26; 2Co 5:21; see RANSOM.

Through Jesus Christ, then, regeneration to life comes. He is called "the last Adam . . . a life-giving spirit." (1Co 15:45) Prophecy designates him as "Eternal Father" (Isa 9:6) and as the one who "poured out his soul to the very death," whose soul is 'set as a guilt offering.' He, as such "Father," is able to regenerate mankind, thus giving life to those who exercise faith in the offering of his soul and are obedient.-Isa 53:10-12.

Hope of men of ancient times. Faithful men of ancient times had the hope of life. The apostle Paul points out this fact. He refers back in time to the offspring of Abraham before the Law was given, and he speaks of himself, a Hebrew, as though he were alive then, in the sense that he was in the loins of his forefathers. He argues: "I was once alive apart from law; but when the commandment arrived, sin came to life again, but I died. And the commandment which was to life, this I found to be to death." (Ro 7:9, 10; compare Heb 7:9, 10.) Men like Abel, Enoch, Noah, and Abraham had hope in God. They believed in the "seed" that would bruise the serpent's head, which would mean deliverance. (Ge 3:15; 22:16-18) They looked forward to God's Kingdom, the "city having real foundations." They believed in a resurrection of the dead to life.-Heb 11:10, 16, 35.

With the giving of the Law, Jehovah stated: "You must keep my statutes and my judicial decisions, which if a man will do, he must also live by means of them." (Le 18:5) Doubtless those Israelites receiving the Law hailed it as offering the hope of life to them. The Law was "holy and righteous" and would mark as completely righteous the one who could live up to its standards fully. (Ro 7:12) But, instead of giving life, the Law showed all Israel, and mankind in general, to be imperfect and sinners. Furthermore, it condemned the Jews to death. (Ga 3:19; 1Ti 1:8-10) Truly, as Paul says, "when the commandment arrived, sin came to life again, but I died." Therefore, life could not come by the Law.

The apostle argues: "If a law had been given that was able to give life, righteousness would actually have been by means of law." (Ga 3:21) Now, the Jews, being condemned by the Law, were not only shown to be sinners as offspring of Adam but were also under an additional disability. For this reason, Christ died on a torture stake, as Paul says: "Christ by purchase released us from the curse of the Law by becoming a curse instead of us, because it is written: 'Accursed is every man hanged upon a stake.'" (Ga 3:13) By removing this obstacle, namely, the curse brought on the Jews by their breaking of the Law, Jesus Christ removed this barrier to life for the Jews, giving them opportunity for life. His ransom could thus benefit them as well as others.

Everlasting life a reward from God. It is evident throughout the Bible that the hope of servants of Jehovah has been to receive everlasting life at God's hands. This hope has encouraged them in maintaining faithfulness. And it is not a selfish hope. The apostle writes: "Moreover, without faith it is impossible to please him well, for he that approaches God must believe that he is and that he becomes the rewarder of those earnestly seeking him." (Heb 11:6) He is that kind of God; it is one of the qualities for which he deserves full devotion from his creatures.

Immortality, incorruption, divine life. The Bible speaks of Jehovah as having immortality and incorruption. (1Ti 1:17) He has granted this first to his Son. At the time the apostle Paul wrote to Timothy, Christ was the only one who had been given immortality. (1Ti 6:16) But it is promised to others, those who become Christ's spiritual brothers. (Ro 2:7; 1Co 15:53, 54) Also, these become partakers of "divine nature"; they share with Christ in his glory. (2Pe 1:4) Angels are spirit creatures, but they are not immortal, for those who become wicked demons will be destroyed.-Mt 25:41; Lu 4:33, 34; Re 20:10, 14; see IMMORTALITY; INCORRUPTION.

• onesong
    onesong

Thanks so much for the memories!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit