Intro's quote-o-rama

by Introspection 151 Replies latest watchtower medical

• lefthand
    lefthand

Intro,
    Selfishness and self centeredness go hand in hand. And I didn't say "beliefs", I said "personal experience" thereby speaking only for myself and not anyone else. As far your Seinfeld quote, no I don't...but you obviously do. My monicur, it is simply because I am left handed just like Jerry. If you choose to read more into it than necessary, well, have fun.

You asked: Why do you think that people are so protective of their egos? Why is it so hard to let go of one's ego? I think the real question should be; Why do some people feel the need to attack others just to bolster their own egos? I'm sorry you felt that you were being personally attacked by my heart-felt comment. Perhaps you should ask yourself why you feel so threatened by others. Try to be a bit more compassionate towards those of us with lesser IQ's. You are, after all, posting in the Mental Health and Depression forum...some of us may not be able to handle your somewhat bulling and caustic attitude toward others.

As Jerry says, and I paraphrase: Keep in mind the black and white cookie, existing in harmony. We should all strive to be like that cookie.

"Get out!" - Elaine from Seinfeld

"For the wisdom of this world is foolishness with God; for it is written; "He catches the wise in their own cunning."
    - 1 Corinthians 3:19

• Andee
    Andee

I love this thread! Some great stuff.

Here's one of my own. It was a response to someone that says she "does EVERYTHING in moderation", including her smoking cigarettes.

My response: "Everything in moderation??? Does that include cyanide??"

Andee

• Introspection
    Introspection
    some of us may not be able to handle your somewhat bulling and caustic attitude toward others.

This, my friends, is a classic case of projection. I fail to see how I have a "bulling and caustic attitude" towards others, when I am posting QUOTES - unless, of course, the reader is projecting their own feelings into statements which does not even belong to me. When I go into the chat room most people seem to be just fine with me, they're comfortable enough to joke along and even give me a hard time - because they actually know me. Of course, they don't feel the need to hide behind a troll identity either. Even my original reply was said in jest, and the Seinfeld quote was used elsewhere - it was set up as my profile signature. (that means it would be automatically included in all messages with the first Option box checked)

The wisdom of the world is indeed foolishness with God. Of course, wisdom cannot be contained in inanimate writing, it is found in the minds of men.

• lefthand
    lefthand

I hate it when I project! I must apologize if I misunderstood your initial response to my comment as "caustic".

"Well, ehh, lefthand.. It isn't so much a matter of selfishness per se, but self centeredness is more like it, regarding one's own beliefs etc.. In a way, your nickname on this board explains the concept quite nicely.
    Just registered and happen to find this thread did ya?"

hmmmm....nope, sorry, still sounds a bit caustic to me. I guess I just don't understand your sense of humor. If I'm not mistaken, the bulk of your above response was not quotes, but, in fact, a rather transparent attempt to make me feel inferior. Opps! I seem to be projecting again.

"...the reader is projecting their own feelings into statements which does not even belong to me."

So tell me, exactly which part of the above statement doesn't belong to you?

"...they don't feel the need to hide behind a troll identity either."

huh? how, exactly, am I hiding behind a troll identity? Oh, I get it! It's your droll sense of humor again...

"wisdom cannot be contained in inanimate writing, it is found in the minds of men."

I disagree.

"For the word of God is alive and exerts power and is sharper than any two-edged sword and pierces even to the dividing of soul and spirit and of joints and their marrow, and is able to discern thoughts and intentions of the heart." - Hebrews 4:12

Doesn't sound inanimate to me. Well, I guess we will just have to agree to disagree...just like that black and white cookie in Jerry's stomach.

• Introspection
    Introspection

To be honest with you Lefthand, I thought you were joking in the first message, but I guess I was wrong. The quote I'm referring to is the one by Chogyam Trungpa, the one you brought up concerning being protective of egos, and finding it hard to let go of.

The first statement regarding selfcenteredness isn't directed at "you", I don't even know who you are. The comment regarding your nickname is directed towards you I suppose, but specifically to your nick name on the board. It isn't even your real name, but I guess I can't help it if people want to take that seriously.

What it comes down to is the only thing we can say about each other is regarding what we write. Offense is taken when you extend that to the rest of you rather than the words, or if you choose to identify with the few words you have written. But in any case, I'm sorry if there was a misunderstanding, but you do know the scripture in Proverbs about the taking of offense don't you? If you look at my other messages, especially ones in the last few weeks, you'll see a lot of them aren't serious.

If you wish to pursue this, I'd appreciate it if you can move it to another thread, since this one is supposed to be quotes. You're certainly welcome to post any quotes you like, but I don't think other people would be too interested in pursuing this stuff between you and me. (frankly, I'm not that interested either)

• Introspection
    Introspection

Some of you might have read this from the funnies link I posted a while back, but here are some selections:

"Hell was OK, until some wise guy went to heaven and came back"

-- Buddhadasa Bhikkhu

As Buddhadasa Bhikkhu became more famous, busloads of visitors started visiting his monastery. Decrying many who went as if visiting an amusement park, he said,

"Sometimes, I think many of these people just stop here because they have to use the bathroom".

As is stated in the colorectal sutra verse 118: The enlightenment experienced through meditation can be compared to the sphincter muscle. It is the only muscle in the body that works when relaxed, and the more relaxed the more ecstatic the experience. Jungle humor with a touch of truth, everybody.

- Kenneth J. Smith

• Introspection
    Introspection
    When we reflect on what we are doing in our everyday life, we are always ashamed of ourselves. One of my students wrote to me saying, "You sent me a calendar, and I am trying to follow the good mottoes which appear on each page. But the year has hardly begun, and already I have failed!" Dogen-zenji said, "Shoshaku jushaku." Shaku generally means "mistake" or "wrong." Shoshaku jushaku means "to succeed wrong with wrong," or one continuous mistake. According to Dogen, one continuous mistake can also be Zen. A Zen master's life could be said to be so many years of shoshaku jushaku. This means so many years of one single-minded effort.

We say, "A good father is not a good father." Do you understand? One who thinks he is a good father is not a good father; one who thinks he is a good husband is not a good husband. One who thinks he is one of the worst husbands may be a good one if he is always trying to be a good husband with a single-hearted effort.

-Zen Mind, Beginners Mind by Shunryu Suzuki

"Living your life is a task so difficult, it has never been attempted before."

• Introspection
    Introspection

George Bernard Shaw

Better keep yourself clean and bright; you are the window through which you must see the world.

• Introspection
    Introspection

Ok I was waiting to use this profile sig in new messages, but didn't find anything to reply to so here it is.. One of my favorites from a bumper sticker, edited for a [PG] rating:

"Opinions are like [anuses], everybody has one."

• Seven
    Seven

K'ang 2

K'ang had built his simple home from rock he had wrested from the mountain to make his simple terraces. Many
    animals visited him, and he welcomed them, and fed them, at peace with nature's way.

Sometimes birds dropped seed there, and he welcomed weeds as well as usable plants. K'ang nurtured the
    weeds as well as the usable plants, because that was his way, and often, the weeds decomposing provided food
    for the thin soil. K'ang new he was wealthy in ways that had nothing to do with the supposed riches of the villagers
    below… He had all he needed, and no desire for more than that.

One day, the boy, making tea, asked K'ang why there was a spring so convenient for use, so high up on the
    mountain. K'ang answered, "The spring was always there, it waited for me to find it. Do you see?"

~J. Pickard

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit