Intro's quote-o-rama

by Introspection 151 Replies latest watchtower medical

• Seven
    Seven

Introspection, You are correct. The first part is priceless!!

• stephenw20
    stephenw20

Oh NO .. I have to ~almost~ disagree with my *sister *and Mark.......

I find the second part PRICELESS....

"One must be willing to stand alone, which is difficult."

yes the first part, especially in our context is so valuable. Think though of this.......we have , the majority of us after handing them our independent thougth at the door and signing up for this salvation... left ourselves in a place that says......there is ~NO~ place else to go , as we have admitted all else is bad, evil and will be done away with.

So then to ~stand alone~, even if we have no new found paradise to point to takes some real (excuse my french) BALLS. To tell the organization , our family ,our Tribe as my favorite lady Caroline puts it , that we think they are incorrect and have to stand alone naked in the cold is very difficult. Many will attempt to take you out at the knees, and at that point your relationship with yourself and this higher power is really questioned and in your face. BUT TO GROW and FIND YOU & PEACE , it must be done

Great point My INTRO!
    S

• stephenw20
    stephenw20

If you can judge a wise man
    By the color of his skin
    then mister, you're a better man than I

Steven Tyler, Joe Perry

• Introspection
    Introspection

Hi Stephen, I should point out that the context of the book is that he is talking about working with a guru, though from those quotes you can see he is not calling for people to mindlessly go about following a leader. In fact he calls the guru your spiritual friend.

• crossroads
    crossroads

No Guru, No Method, No Teacher,
    Van the Man

"When you come to a fork in the road take it,"

"The most important thing in life is showing up"
    Intro----Here
    Princess----Here
    Stephen-----Here
    Mark........Mark.........Mark---------I'm gonna see the movie
    first-----HARDBALL, Keanu Reeves it's going to be good.
    I'll show up for that------Princess want to go.

• Seven
    Seven

So what is there to realize?
    Peonies bloom on peony trees.
    A cat doesn't become a chicken.
    Tulips are tulips, not roses.
    Why can't we realize this true fact?
    That to be me is great.
    I don't have to be anyone but me.
    I am blooming as I am in my life, just as
    a peony blooms on a peony tree.
    Further, a beautiful peony flower does not
    worry about when it will wilt and fall to the ground.
    It does not compete with the flower next to it;
    rather it blooms with its whole self.

-- Sensie Ogui
    from "Zen Shin Talks"

• Introspection
    Introspection

More from the above:

The main theme of the open way is that we must begin to abandon the basic struggle of ego. To be completely open, to have that kind of absolute trust in yourself is the real meaning of compassion and love. There have been so many speeches about love and peace and tranquility in the world. But how do we really bring love into being? Christ said, "Love thy neighbor," but how do we love? How do we do it? How are we going to radiate our love to the whole of humanity, to the whole world? "Because we must, and that's the truth!" "If you don't love, you are condemned, evil; you are doing a disservice to humanity." "If you love, you are on the path, you are on the right track." But how? Many people get very romantic about love, in fact get high on it at the very word. But then there will be a gap, a period when we are not high on love. Something else takes place which is embarrassing, a private matter. We tend to seal it off; it is "private parts," shameful, not part of our divinity. Let's not think about that. Let's simply ignite another love explosion and on and on we go, trying to ignore those parts of our being we reject, trying to be virtuous, loving, kind.

Perhaps this will put off a lot of people, but I am afraid love is not really the experience of beauty and romantic joy alone. Love is associated with ugliness and pain and aggression, as well as with the beauty of the world; it is not the recreation of heaven. Love or compassion, the open path, is associated with "what is." In order to develop love--universal love, cosmic love, whatever you would like to call it--one must accept the whole situation of life as it is, both the light and the dark, the good and the bad. One must open oneself to life, communicate with it. Perhaps you are fighting to develop love and peace, struggling to achieve them; "We are going to make it, we are going to spend thousands of dollars in order to broadcast the doctrine of love everywhere, we are going to proclaim love." Okay, proclaim it, do it, spend your money, but what about the speed and aggression behind what you are doing? Why do you have to push us into the acceptance of your love? Why is there such speed and force involved? If your love is moving with the same speed and drive as other people's hatred, then something appears to be wrong. It would seem to be the same as calling darkness light. There is so much ambition involved, taking the form of proselytizing. It is not an open situation of communication with things as they are. The ultimate implication of the words "peace on earth" is to remove altogether the ideas of peace and war and to open yourself equally and completely to the positive and negative aspects of the world. It is like seeing the world from an aerial point of view: there is light, there is dark; both are accepted. You are not trying to defend the light against the dark.

• Introspection
    Introspection

That's funny Seven, I just went to check out a Zen center this morning. They are in the lineage of Shunryu Suzuki-roshi. They actually have a program where you can stay there for a year, I'm kind of toying with the idea of trying for that..

• more2C
    more2C

"Talent is God-given, be humble; fame is man-given, be thankful; conceit is self-given, be careful." Anonymous

more2C

• more2C
    more2C

How about this one:

Bad association, spoils useful habits.

(Just kidding!) :>)

more2C

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit