The GREATEST IRONY of Shunning and Disfellowshiping

by Trojan 48 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• James Free
    James Free
    So, the leadership is knowingly hanging on to a corrupt practice to maintain control. Knowing this, why would the elder community continue to support it?

Oh how many years I held on to this innocent view. In time I realized that the ELDERS themselves like the power and control it gives them too, not just the GB in Brooklyn. The only elders I knew who were genuinely interested in their 'flock' all eventually resigned, or were overlooked and ignored, after becoming disillusioned with the rest.

• Terry
    Terry

I can't think of any social group or organization that does not have limits on acceptable behavior beyond which that person is ousted.

If you don't pay your lodge dues you are no longer a member. If you use bad language at the PTA you are asked to leave. Etc etc.

Where the Jehovah's Witnesses differ is important to consider.

Being a Jehovah's Witness is about behavior which is compliant to instruction. Further, it is about non-questioning compliance.

If you are told not to grow facial hair and you ask "why?" you are considered rebellious. This is because you are not following orders without passing them through

your rational brain first.

People who ask "Why?" are dangerous to be around because curiousity leads to rational thought.

Rational thought does not bow to mere Authority; it appeals to reason, fact, analysis, measurement, logic and consistency.

All the above are deadly to mere ad hoc pronouncements from Authority alone.

The JW's cannot afford rational membership.

It follows they cannot afford the contagion of curiousity which would inevitably lead to Q & A beyond that provided for mere doctrinal matters.

The core danger for people who follow orders without rational motivation is analytical thought.

The military teaches new recruits to follow commands without question. The Watchtower Society is strictly authoritarian.

The rationale given in scripture is FOR THE BENEFIT OF THE PERSON HIM/HER SELF and is designed to make them reconsider bad behavior. It is not designed to quarantine them from asking necessary questions that will lead to satisfaction of rational behavior.

JW's, once again, have twisted a principle into a conditioned reflex.

• Chimene
    Chimene
    JW's, once again, have twisted a principle into a conditioned reflex.

Amen

The orginization itself is corrupt

• carla
    carla

I have talked about this with my jw. He likes to say how many come back and are happy, blah, blah. I ask him how many came back just to regain their family? How many stay just so they won't lose it? Doesn't that actually keep many 'bad association' in the fold?! He claims that they are not 'real' jw's. He claims that about many, or any newspaper articles or murders, pedophiles, etc.. However, I think it did have one effect on him. I think he is a bit paranoid about who really is a jw or is not a 'real' jw. He knows I come on the boards and there are even elders on them! Shock! But, they aren't real ones! They will be found out! Then I ask him about some who have been elders for years and years and have been on so called 'apostate' boards for years as well and no longer believe any of it? They stay to keep their family. Isn't that blackmail? No answer. Or if he does it's the 'wait upon jah'. But, aren't the elders appointed by the holy spirit?

• BONEZZ
    BONEZZ

Trojan,

Good insight. I'm sure it's already been mentioned but I believe it's the CONTROL they want. With DFing they can and do control, not just the DF'd one, but the whole family...EVERYONE. The WTBS is evil at the core. The same goes for admitting your secret sins to these imperfect men. What better way to control a person than to know all about their deepest, darkest sins?!

-BONEZZ

• anewme
    anewme

I think some here are aware that I have been trying to return to the meetings for the past 6 months.
    Yes, I missed my family so much that I thought I would return and become a nominal JW.

For six months I have attended the meetings in a new hall, alone, in silence and shunned.

It has been very hard on me psychologically. I wrote to my ex of my anticipated reinstatement soon, but expressed dismay that the elders have put me on the back burner of their attention.

He told me that at the last elders meeting they were cautioned not to reinstate people in six months anymore because so many were returning for just the reason I was----persons missed their families so much---not because they missed being a JW-----so the new advice is to make them wait up to a year.

That news blow ended my desire to return.

Just forget it!!

My God is not there anymore!

My God is with me in the mountains where I now live. And gives me peace and hope and love without punishment or judging.

In the three weeks I have missed the meetings I am happier again and cheerful again.

I hope the dfing arrangement changes.

I hope the Brooklyn Watchtower Society crumbles and dissolves into the Atlantic Sea.

• Sunspot
    Sunspot

*The rationale given in scripture is FOR THE BENEFIT OF THE PERSON HIM/HER SELF and is designed to make them reconsider bad behavior. It is not designed to quarantine them from asking necessary questions that will lead to satisfaction of rational behavior.

Exactly. But the WTS enforces this to suit themselves and only to use control over their followers.

*With DFing they can and do control, not just the DF'd one, but the whole family...EVERYONE. The WTBS is evil at the core.

It's the same with a DAed one....except it is worse in the fact that no scriptural rules were broken by simply choosing to leave---but the treatment of shunning remains the same. Yes---the WTS IS evil to the core.

*The same goes for admitting your secret sins to these imperfect men. What better way to control a person than to know all about their deepest, darkest sins?!

This certainly makes one vulnerable, and even more at the "mercy" (poor word choice) of the WTS representitives called elders.

"My God is not there anymore"

The longer you are "out" of the WTS cage---the more you will come to realize that God was never "there" in the first place.

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

Very true. I started to leave in 1995 and spent 6 months not associating with anyone, not affecting any JW's, but then returned and confessed to prevent myself being d/f, motivated by fear. I then spent 10 years living a double life. Along the way I discussed many things with many people and the result is that others have listened to me and have left or now are well primed to leave.

If I had been free to go in 1995 without being d/f I would not have done the research into the organisation and not be putting so much effort into helping other JW's get out.

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

The proof of your concept can be seen with unbaptised youths raised as JW's. Most leave over time. Most that do not follow Watchtower guidelines or that do not believe it is the Truth stop going to meetings. I can think of very few that are not baptised and in their 20's that have not of their own accord stopped associating with members of the congregation.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit