The GREATEST IRONY of Shunning and Disfellowshiping

by Trojan 48 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• MerryMagdalene
  • MerryMagdalene
    MerryMagdalene
    I could never understand who appointed elders to be judges over other sinners. Didn't Jesus tell us to not judge anyone? Or we would be judged! Or are elders perfect and have no sins to worry about being judged for?

I would like to know how they twisted words around enough to give themselves this power and authority over fellow sinners. Can someone explain that to me?

Well, here's how THEY explain it:

the elders do not make up their own standards of judgment. They apply Bible principles and closely follow Scriptural procedures that Jehovah set out. Hence, any forgiving or not forgiving on the part of the elders would be in the sense of Jesus’ words at Matthew 18:18: "Truly I say to you men, Whatever things you may bind on earth will be things bound in heaven, and whatever things you may loose on earth will be things loosed in heaven." Their actions would simply reflect Jehovah’s view of matters as presented in the Bible.

--wt '96 4/15 Questions from Readers

also

As in the first century, a small group of qualified men from among the anointed overseers now serve as the Governing Body, representing the composite faithful and discreet slave. Our Leader uses this Governing Body to appoint qualified men—whether spirit-anointed or not—as elders in the local congregations. In this regard, the holy spirit, which Jehovah has given Jesus authority to employ, plays a pivotal role. (Acts 2:32, 33) First of all, these overseers must meet the requirements set out in God’s Word, which was inspired by holy spirit. (1 Timothy 3:1-7; Titus 1:5-9; 2 Peter 1:20, 21) The recommendations and appointments are made after prayer and under the guidance of the holy spirit. Additionally, the individuals appointed give evidence of producing the fruitage of that spirit. (Galatians 5:22, 23) Paul’s counsel, then, applies with equal force to all elders, whether anointed or not: "Pay attention to yourselves and to all the flock, among which the holy spirit has appointed you overseers." (Acts 20:28) These appointed men receive direction from the Governing Body and willingly shepherd the congregation. In this way, Christ is with us now and is actively leading the congregation.

--Wt '02 3/15 Christ Leads His Congregation

All clear now?

~Merry

• LDH
    LDH

Great post Trojan.

The other point is, because all humans are 'sinners,' you could never get rid of all the sinners in a congregation or else you would have no congregation.

Only SOME are targeted for 'removal,' while others continue to deceive and carry on with their offenses without being reprimanded. They stay in the congregation!

Lisa

• coffee_black
    coffee_black

I think you're right...but the flip side of it is that if they got rid of the shunning policy, so many would leave that it would effect the bottom line. I think money is a huge part of it. If they keep people in, it assures a level of income that the society has become accustomed to.

Coffee

• moshe
    moshe

Good point Gary:

With all Witness discipline, it's ALWAYS the Witness people who get disciplined. They shun me, but it's THEM who can't talk to me. I can talk to them and anybody else on the planet I want to. :-)

Think of all the effort the JW's have to put into this practice- trying to remember who they can't talk,to- well maybe they can now-just to invite them back- no, now you can't ,we changed our rule. He's in the family so necessary contact is allowed- hmm, what is defined as necessary- I'll have to ask the elders. On and on it goes for them. Those of us who are shunned just go on our merry way enjoyng life as we see fit.

peace,

Moshe

• poppers
    poppers

"It's like closing some metal object and seal it as much as you could to protect from RUST, but leaving the humidity inside, without any chance to get rid of it = OXIDIZING process is WORSER! "
    Nice analogy.

• ICBehindtheCurtain
    ICBehindtheCurtain

Trojan, this is a great post! And YES I COMPLETELY AGREE!!! Have you ever seen the movie "The Village"? It is eerily similar to what is done to the people by the leaders in JW life.

IC

• yaddayadda
    yaddayadda

Speaking of movie analogies, has anyone seen 'The Island' recently. Great sci-fi thriller. So many themes reminded me of dub-land. Everyone is feed a special diet and special rules, is not permitted to think for themselves, taught that the 'world' outside is irradiated, and what keeps them in subservience is a weekly lottery where the winner gets to go to 'The Island', an idyllic paradise (which doesn't exist). Turns out the whole thing is a fabrication, a delusion, all to produce clones for body parts.

JW's are force-feed a specific spiritual diet, told that to leave the organisation and go into the world will have death-dealing effects, not permitted to think for themselves and question their leaders, and they do it all because they believe it is their ticket to 'paradise'.

• PoppyR
    PoppyR

In my last meeting I asked one of the elders how the reinstatement process.. the person has to come to meetings and be ignored for 6 months before they are allowed back.. fits in with the prodigal son.. where the father ran down to meet him, welcomed him straight back in and threw a party.. He COULD NOT ANSWER MY my question with any conviction, because it clearly does not marry. It takes massive commitment for for someone who is already low, to come to meetings and be ignored by everyone, how did I ever think this was the truth????

Poppy

• Think
    Think

PoppyR,

Bravo ! I like the story from the prodigal son you mentioned. I see the ds people showing a few times in the KH, and they NEWER EVER come back again. So much for LOVE in JW Neverland, meaning : never give the love just show to them.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit