What do you think they'd do if I did this at the Memorial?

by jwfacts 41 Replies latest social humour

• wednesday
    wednesday

lol jwfacts

• BlackSwan of Memphis
    BlackSwan of Memphis

Before You Do:

At our last Detroit Meet up, we were talking about the memorial.

One guy mentioned that at his congregation, he was almost certain, that they saved the wine from year to year.

Don't know if it's true, but....I'd hate to say throw back a glass of vinegar.

On the flip side, at my congregation, it was always a new bottle. At the end of the memorial, some one took the bottle home and just drank it.

Something tells me, as soon as you walk in the door, the attendants are going to be watching you like a hawk.

Truth be told...I was kinda tempted to do the same thing.

Well, keep us posted.

meagan

• jeeprube
    jeeprube

I've had the same thought a time or two. I say go for it, so the rest of us can live out the experience through you.

• Narkissos
    Narkissos

I have a sort of fondness for the Eucharist ritual, which I find one of the most meaningful features of Christianity, no matter where or how poorly it is practiced. Even in the terrible JW version the Memorial service is usually deeper than the average Watchtower study. So I would not really think of making fun of it.

I partook in the Memorial on my last JW year, a few weeks before I was df'd. The following year I felt like going to another KH and partaking again, quietly, as a sort of testimony. There was no significant reaction in both of those occasions apart from the expected blank stares. I never went back again as the whole JW thing became increasingly meaningless to me.

As to being forcibly moved out from a KH, they tried that in my last congregation when I came back a few weeks after being df'd, just to see some friendly faces. Practical advice: sit quietly in the middle of a full row of seats and don't move if they ask you to. When they realise that they will actually disturb the meeting more than you do they'll probably give up.

• BlackSwan of Memphis
    BlackSwan of Memphis

Narkissos,

A friend and I were recently discussing this...

If you have a few friends in the area that share the same beliefs, why not celebrate this in your own gathering?

After all, in it's earliest beginnings, that's what it was. A few friends and fellow believers.

Your faith in what the Eucharist means, is not dependant on others. Perhaps, quietly by yourself if there are no others, you could always have your own 'memorial'.

Or go to a Catholic church on a Sunday to at least be with others who share a faith and respect for the Eucharist.

(you can tell I've no idea what religion you now practice, apologies if I've said something wrong)

meagan

• IronClaw
    IronClaw

Hi JW, This is one of the many things I have a serious problem with. The Tower says that the bible was written only for the remnant of the 144,000 and that Jesus is only mediator for them, thereby actually robbing everyone of the free gift that Jesus gave to ALL. Not only would it be funny if you did it, it is your RIGHT to partake as Jesus commanded all to observe. The question I always had was Jesus said to keep doing this until I come. According to WT he came in 1874 sorry new light 1914, so if he came already then WHY are they still having a memorial??????

• IronClaw
    IronClaw

QUESTION?????? I just had a light bulb go off. If we all went an partook would they be obligated to count us in their calculations. Now that would really be funny, just imagine it 7,000,000 in attendance and 1,000,000 partook. Im sure they would have a footnote on that one. LMAO

• Narkissos
    Narkissos

Meagan,

I attended church (several churches) for years after I was df'd (already did so before I went back to the JW memorial the second time), so in principle I agree with what you say. One good thing about ritual is that it transcends doctrine and interpretations -- it is an act, refreshingly different from the endless flow of talk in Western religion. Even in the 1st century, judging by the Pauline and the Didachè versions of the Eucharist for instance, the ritual was susceptible of very different interpretations.

Now I'm not going to church anymore, but I still wouldn't mind sharing in the act if I happened to go.

• inbyathread
    inbyathread

How about taking a mouthful but instead of swallowing, spit it back.

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

It would certainly be going out in style and I would love to do that myself

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit