Why are so many JWs hicks?

by kristyann 80 Replies latest jw friends

• fahrvegnugen
    fahrvegnugen

Given the sensitive nature of the reactions to this topic, perhaps we can infer that most EX-JWs are hicks. (I'm kidding)

Fahrv (a well-traveled, college educated hick--and proud of it)

• rebel8
    rebel8

I cannot speak to the rural question as I've never lived in a rural area. However, I have observed a strong interest among JWs to move to more secluded areas and a strong interest in spending their vacations sequestered away from "the world". It's not something I observed they were interested b4 they joined the Borg but rather the other way around....their fear of "the world" led them to reduce contact with normal human society. In my old cong they are actually competitive about who can "rough it" the most on their vacations. Those who vacationed without electricity or indoor plumbing earned bragging rights.

Along with that, I have observed what I'd describe as a popular trend among local dubs away from what they think is "sophistication". For example, I cannot think of one female dub I know who owns a suit. No polished/professional look for them. Everything from dress to grooming is very "Little House on the Prarie", which is looked upon as shunning "worldly ways". Then again, I live in WT NY State, so maybe that has something to do with it.

• Jourles
    Jourles

I wouldn't go so far to say that my folks are "hicks," but they do prefer to live in a rural setting. And my mom is the one who self-proclaims that she is a "San Diego girl."

Look at this picture and tell me if you would associate it with the word "hick" ------

If you do, then I guess my folks are hicks. 'Cause they happen to live in the rural part of the town this painting was done in.

• kristyann
    kristyann

Wow, that was quite a brawl that occured here after I went to bed. How funny is that!? I guess it kind of validated my point that an awful lot of JWs are hicks... ALMOST (not all, but almost) everyone that responded was from a rural area! I asked the question, and it was answered by almost all rural people themselves! That kind of reinforces the point. I think that they meant to argue my point, but in reality they actually just confirmed it. So I guess what I can infer from this is that 1) yes, an awful lot of ex-JWs are hicks 2) most of them are very touchy and defensive about the fact that anyone notices this fact and 3) they like to argue a lot... I mean, come on now, after I left last night, it was a major brawl - which kind of fits the stereotype that people from the country like to brawl. So I guess by my posting this and from the super-touchy responses, I can infer that yes, I am correct, many JWs (and also ex-JWs) are indeed hicks... which, by the way, is no insult... just a curious phenomenon!

rebel8 said:

"Along with that, I have observed what I'd describe as a popular trend among local dubs away from what they think is "sophistication". For example, I cannot think of one female dub I know who owns a suit. No polished/professional look for them. Everything from dress to grooming is very "Little House on the Prarie", which is looked upon as shunning "worldly ways". Then again, I live in WT NY State, so maybe that has something to do with it."

Good points... the Little House on the Praise style of dress (and also style of hair for the women) does seem to be very popular amongst the JWs that I know. It's really interesting that a lot of people that I have talked to, from all over the country, all seem to confirm that this is popular in their congregations.

• Honesty
    Honesty
    So what is it that seems to make hillbillies and Jehovah's Witnesses go hand in hand?

Moonshine.

Bob Evans - exJW current WTBT$ apostate

Walland, TN. (bordering the Great Smoky MT. National Park)

• calico
    calico

I know lots of sisters who wear tight, revealing clothing and prance around the hall as if on display! Married sisters, too!

• kristyann
    kristyann

I found this on freeminds.org... it's from the "Armageddon Okies" series by Gary Busselman which he calls "Pretty True Stories." That section of the site is pretty funny. I don't know the story of this Gary Busselman guy, but from what I would guess, maybe he grew up in a (surprise, surprise) rural congregation and is now just poking fun at it instead of getting insulted or defensive about it. I could be wrong about his story, so don't go screaming if I am. But anyway, this is going to be my last post for this topic since we didn't seem to get much of anywhere. The funny Armageddon Okies site can be accessed at http://www.freeminds.org/buss/okies.htm

Runnin with the Dogs

Dear Randy,

Thanks for the intro. Lots of good advice on this net thing. My friend Lee told me that he used to have to get up to pass water 2 or 3 times every night until he started to drink cranberry juice, now he says he doesn't get up at all. So I thought, "what the heck!" I'll try it. By golly it does work. I've been drinking cranberry juice for about 2 weeks now and the last 3 nights I didn't get up at all to go to the bathroom. I still go to the bathroom, I just don't get up. I sleep faster and can get an earlier start in service. Hit the first door at 5:00 AM this morning. Been noticing a lot of not-at-homes. Sure will be glad to get these retirement condos worked.

I've got to go for now. I hear the dogs barking. They've been running in a pack about 2 weeks now.....ever since we quit feeding them. Last week they got the mailman. This afternoon the UPS man tossed out Egor's test tube shipment in the yard. I guess he didn't want to get out of the truck after what happened last time. They all busted except the one with the shrunken head in it. I guess kids need a safe hobby. He tried stamp collecting but they kept sticking to the roof of his mouth. Watchtower brought out some new ideas for family fun a while back. We are going to try them all. We've decided on tennis and we all are anxious for enough bats to get here so we can all play.

That letter with your check in it came back for the third time this month marked "return for postage". We're gonna try it from Iowa next week when Maw goes in for her check-up. We're gonna circle your name in red this time. Sis had another near miss with that relationship thing. She keeps picking out the guys who won't wear ties to the Hall. We keep telling her. Maybe she doesn't notice....she's so short.

Well that's it . I've got to go for sure now. I just heard Bubba's truck pull in. He's been over working on the Circuit Servant's Buick at Mel's again. Now they can't get that sticky stuff off the seats. Loaned him my green Studebaker last month when he went back up to the brambles to look for his wife. Lonnie couldn't exactly make out what it was she was yelling as she ran up that hill. We trailed her for about 3 or 4 miles with the dogs until she ran out of invitations. Dogs feet were all cut up from the rocks.

Don't forget to write.

Love, Gary B.

PS; We had little LeRoy out of the home for a visit and now we can't remember where we hid all the knives.

• calico
    calico

This is not meant as an insult, but a curious observation---You are an immature brat!

• BizzyBee
    BizzyBee

Hey Ellie, You are on to something, but get your thoughts in order before you take on an assault weapon! These folks are too sharp (and defensive) to let you get by with such a sweeping statement.

• Odrade
    Odrade

I agree with the immature brat assessment. I wonder if all young ladies from semi-rural areas are immature brats. It's not intended as an insult, but it seems so to me...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit