Why are so many JWs hicks?

by kristyann 80 Replies latest jw friends

• kristyann
    kristyann

Okay, I know this might sound like an obvious question... but in all reality, why are so many Jehovah's Witnesses hicks? Why does it seem that there are so many in rural areas? I hope this doesn't offend anyone... I don't really mean it to be an insult to any of you, cause obviously I consider most of you a lot smarter than some regular JW (or some stereotypical hick). Also, I KNOW that there are also JWs in suburbs, urban areas, etc... but it really seems to me, at least in my part of the state that I live in, the main place where the JWs are located are the rural areas. Does this have something to do with ignorance in general? Again, no offense, but a lot of rural people seem to be... disinterested in education, knowing what's going on in the world around them, etc. Does this make them easy targets? Does the hick lifestyle have something in common with the JW lifestyle in general? I know that neither the stereotypical JW nor the stereotypical hick has much money (again, yes there are exceptions, but I'm talking about what seems to be the majority).

A lot of people in poor urban slums are not very well educated, either, yet I don't notice as many JWs in poor urban areas as I notice in poor rural areas. So what is it that seems to make hillbillies and Jehovah's Witnesses go hand in hand? I have pretty much chalked it up to ignorance, apathy, lack of education... does anyone else have a better way to explain it to me?

• AuldSoul
    AuldSoul
    disinterested in education

This would be a factor, for sure, but it is other things, too. The world is changing RAPIDLY. Those who don't cope well with change or who resist it would obviously feel safer inside a social structure that stayed more constant and unchanging. Those who have generally sucky people skills are also going to gravitate toward the bOrg, because the people there have to pretend to like them as a religious requirement.

I think there's more than one thing at play, but I can tell you for sure that the bOrg spread across this country originally in rural areas. There were training classes in Studies in the Scriptures in Fitzgerald, GA conducted by Brother Pollock at a time when there weren't any in Atlanta, GA. Good observation, but I'm not sure if I like your inference that my kin is puurly ejicated jest 'cawse we ain't been schooled as much as y'all citified folk.

Respectfully,
    AuldSoul

• John Doe
    John Doe

"Again, no offense, but a lot of rural people seem to be... disinterested in education, knowing what's going on in the world around them, etc. Does this make them easy targets? "

No offense, but this seems to be an ignorant, stereotypical view held by people who aren't very bright. Again, no offense. ;-) FWIW, I grew up in a highly rural area and the folks are just as interested in education as in the city where I'm attending university now.

• Odrade
    Odrade

Rural areas tend to be more "churchy," per capita, likely because of churches being social centers for family activities. It has relatively little to do with ignorance. People are people, even the ones that get sucked into the JW organization, and they need to have their social needs filled somewhere.

• kristyann
    kristyann

Um... I'm not sure if you read the whole thing or not but I think I said more than one time that there are exceptions. I have met some people who live in rural areas that are interested in education, but the majority of them don't seem to be and they proudly admit it. It just seems to be a different way of life for them. That's why a lot of them take jobs that involve some type of physical labor... it seems to be their preference. I'm pretty sure that most people will admit that the general perception of hicks involves ignorance, at least to some degree. It may not apply to everyone and it may not always be a fair assessment, but it's the general consensus. It's interesting that you'd get so defensive about it, especially when I clearly stated that there are certainly exceptions to the rule.

• skyman
    skyman

What ya yal talkn about I aint was not a hick slober, slober...

• kristyann
    kristyann

That last comment of mine applied was in response to JohnDoe... sorry for not labeling it as such!

• John Doe
    John Doe

I'm not defensive. I merely call bs when I see it. Again, the "rule" is a stereotype with no basis in reality. It would be similar to saying "I'm sure there are smart black people. I never said there were no exceptions to the rule." I'm not talking about exceptions. I'm not sure if you read the whole post.

• kristyann
    kristyann

That was kind of a weird example to relate it to...

• John Doe
    John Doe

"That was kind of a weird example to relate it to..."

How so? I apologize for being perhaps too direct, but sometimes directness is needed before we see our own prejudices. The example I used was not the same--you're correct. You used an emotionally loaded slang term. I did not use the one typically associated with racial prejudice against African Americans. For what it's worth, I don't think you are intentionally being prejudiced. I think that perhaps you just haven't realized what you are saying.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit