Health Care: A Right or a Privilege?

by prophecor 401 Replies latest members politics

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

By the way, the book I have embedded above, points out that lawsuits account for only 3 % of America's healthcare costs. Don't believe for a micro-second that health care is sky high due to lawsuits. Our current president would like you all to believe this, he has investments in health care companies and a lot of pressure on him from peoples and companies who have a big share in the health care industry's profits. They have you all imagining that there are ludicrous amounts of frivilous lawsuits that get to court and are settled. That's not true. Educate yourselves.

Big business is the driving force behind our present health care system. Haven't you noticed that your community hospitals have been bought out by corporations? Many times doctors invest in clinics, labs and expensive equipment such as cat scanners. It's really a conflict of interest when it comes down to it.

And yes, insurance companies really are in it for profit. They don't care much about how they make the money, they just care about the bottom dollar. People don't matter in the slightest to them, only the money that people are willing to shell out for premiums.

There is one word that will explain how things have gotten so far out of hand and that word is GREED. People guilty of that kind of greed are building up a huge cosmic debt. Meanwhile, millions suffer while they enjoy their luxuries.

Healthcare should not be a big business and everyone, from the richest to the poorest citzens should have access to it. And no one should have to go broke or lose their life's savings for one hospital visit.

Washington needs to assign a taskforce to figure out a working solution to America's healthcare crisis. They haven't yet because of pressure from the health care industry and insurance companies. They don't want their honey pot drying up.

I recall that earlier this year, it was announced that Canada was considering passing a law requiring that Canadian doctors not write Rx's for American citizens. This would effectively put a stop to people crossing the border to buy their medications. Then a high up Canadian goverment official had a press conference and made sure US citzens knew that President Bush himself had pressured the Canadian goverment to pass such a law. Well, have you heard anymore about it? I applaud the man for having the guts to expose President Bush. He said he wanted us all to know that Canada would not come up with such an idea on their own. Bush pretended he was looking out for the safety of senior citizens who are the major offenders here. The Canadian official pointed out that seniors buy the same medications in Canada that they get here, from the same drug companies.

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

LDH, I believe you are concerned and want to help. Maybe it's your delivery? You do come across with a lot of irritation and hostility and that stands out more than your genuine concern. It's a matter of toning down the irritation and explaining things in a more palatible way. I see where you are coming from.

• LDH
    LDH

FHN,

You do come across with a lot of irritation and hostility and that stands out more than your genuine concern. It's a matter of toning down the irritation and explaining things in a more palatible way.

Perhaps it's the perception of people who are having difficulty getting insurance and blaming me? I can tell you, the only hostility I felt this morning was when I thought of the scam Walmart is getting by on the American people.

I don't tend to have very flowery speech, but what I say isn't incorrect.

Thank you for your honesty!

• LDH
    LDH
    There is one word that will explain how things have gotten so far out of hand and that word is GREED. People guilty of that kind of greed are building up a huge cosmic debt. Meanwhile, millions suffer while they enjoy their luxuries.

Healthcare should not be a big business and everyone, from the richest to the poorest citzens should have access to it. And no one should have to go broke or lose their life's savings for one hospital visit.

I agree. This is not the only industry making sure the rich get richer. The petroleum industry, which blames wars and hurricanes for the 'record crude oil prices' just posted a record $9 BILLION profit for the 2nd QUARTER of the year. 17 straight profit quarters, while you and I get squeezed at the pump.

However, health care and health insurance are two different things. Some here do not feel that it's right for everyone to be entitled to a Yugo, but some can afford a Cadillac. I happen to disagree. I would love to have $50,000 to spend on plastic surgery for a nip and tuck here and there like the bimbos I see on TV. But you know what? I don't have disposable income for that. So, as far as those people are concerned, I'm DRIVING A YUGO just like all of you.

It's all relative, yes?

Lisa

• hamsterbait
    hamsterbait

Since Fire Services and Army and navy and Sea rescue all come out of taxes, why not health care too?

But think about it - It is very expensive to let a skyscraper burn down.

It is very expensive to let another country take over your resources and land.

It is very expensive to replace an ocean liner.

It is very cheap to let one child die.

HB

• LDH
    LDH

Hamster,

Since Fire Services and Army and navy and Sea rescue all come out of taxes, why not health care too?

I think the idea has merit. However the services you mention are not private for profit industries, and to my knowledge never have been. How do you see this happening?

For those that envision putting all of the insurance companies out of work, what do you suggest those people do for insurance? Are you ok with subsidizing their healthcare too? Because of situations like Adrift, where someone is forced to stay in a job that is not to their liking but for the BENEFITS!!! what do you think the insurance 'pool' looks like for the employees who work there? They are notorious over utilizers with little impunity because their employer pays the majority of the cost of the insurance. Are you ready to absorb those costs?

• GoingGoingGone
    GoingGoingGone
    Some here do not feel that it's right for everyone to be entitled to a Yugo, but some can afford a Cadillac.

So, as far as those people are concerned, I'm DRIVING A YUGO just like all of you.

HUH? Maybe I'm misunderstanding what you're trying to say here. I have nothing against anyone being able to afford thousands of dollars of plastic surgery if that's what they want to spend their money on. What I take issue with, is people who, through no fault of their own, are ill and unable to afford or even obtain medical insurance to help them cover their bills.

Medical malpractice lawsuit awards were capped in Florida last year, allegedly to help control medical insurance costs. Yet this year, health insurance costs rose, and the cost of medical care rose. Very telling.

Unfortunately, I have no feasable solution to offer for the healthcare crisis, or I'd be doing something about it. One thing I do know, though, is that the health insurance industry should not be a private, for-profit endeavor. Give greedy capitalists the power to decide life and death issues for others? Not too smart, imo.

GGG

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow
    It is very cheap to let one child die.

Wow. Very sobering, but very true. Profound statement. Like I said earlier, this is Social Darwinism at work. Read about it sometime.

LDH, I believe we all should contribute monies for a national healthcare plan. I don't think anyone here is saying that health care should be 100 % free.It has to be paid for somehow. The government should pass laws that gradually remove healthcare from big business and return it to the public.

I'm glad you explained the difference between caddy and hugo health care. That makes sense.

• bebu
    bebu

I think healthcare is both a right and a privilege.

But if we insist that it is a right, then we must accept the responsibilities that go with it. People who are smokers/obese are at much higher risk of nearly all disease. If we, individually, could start eating and exercising (okay, that's a word I hate but the truth hurts even me), quit smoking and taking drugs, then medical costs would dramatically be reduced.

Think of how knee replacement surgeries have become so common... and why is it that the main reason for them is obesity? --You wouldn't want to get my husband started on this, he says it's incredibly frustrating that no one wants to take responsibility when it is present.

It is a decision we can deliberately make on an individual level. And the financial effects will reach to those who are unable to choose good health simply because of misfortune (genetics, accidents, etc.).

I'm not necessarily for socializing medicine in the US, but if the gov't put together a system like it has for the military as an option for people to choose at modest cost (and with small copays), then I would be for it. It could mean patients give up the right to sue for unlimited pain and suffering damages, but that would be one of the trade-offs.

bebu

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

If we must compare healthcare to automobiles, then perhaps a good start towards positive reform would be to trade in a system of Yugos and Cadillacs for a system of Toyotas and Lexus'?

IOW, start out with quality care and basic dignity for every person in a civilised nation, and let the rich add their own bells and whistles as they see fit.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit