Health Care: A Right or a Privilege?

by prophecor 401 Replies latest members politics

• fairchild
    fairchild

Stillconcerned,

I thought a reaction to the "cut the sue crap" might appear. Yes, there are horror stories and people who should be reimbursed for serious damages done due to medical mistakes. I do agree with that. Wat I don't agree with is the whole suing thing in general. People sue for anything and everything, and it does make the cost of medical care go up considerably. A line shoud be drawn somewhere, and right now we don't have that kind of line. I am not just talking about medical incidents, suing in general seems to be something that is done way too often. Justice is not always found. It is not about who is right and who is wrong, most of the time it is about who has the best lawyer. Remember McDonald's hot coffee? To be honest, I was ashamed to hear that. Or the guy who broke into someone's house, the dog bit him and he sued the owners of the house. It just gets ridiculous.

• sammielee24
    sammielee24
    One of the ways Comp carriers are able to be competitive on premiums is when working with an employer who has great health benefits. Otherwise, the Comp carrier knows they are going to be seeing an awful lot of 'work related injuries.' This is most likely the reason your BIL was returned to get his comp papers authorized. Otherwise, the hospital knows they've just got another charity case on their hands.

Whatever the reason for the delay - paperwork over health service should be unacceptable to anyone. In his case this was on the job, using a saw and he was immediately taken to the hospital. He's over 55 and no, his employer does not offer employee health insurance - these are not uncommon instances in this country. Wether or not it was a comp issue, the point still remains that people are forgoing needed service because they do not have the money. If a man dies from pneumonia, leaving a wife and kids to fend by themselves or on state or federal aid, simply because he did not seek health care because of lack of funds, then how much further are we ahead? It still also stands to make anyone wonder at the inefficiencies of a system that causes citizens to spend more per person than any other country with socialized health care and why no one would seek to investigate change based on those dollars. No one will ever agree but I honestly haven't heard anyone from any other country voting to remove socialized health care - in fact there are elections fought and won on the issues of keeping it. The strength will lie with the people if they want change and at some point I have to believe that for the good of all it's citizens, the US will follow suit.

• joelbear
    joelbear

Lisa, I don't disagree with you often but on this one i do.

I have a 4 year degree and have worked for 27 years for companies that had good insurance. I have a house and savings. But if I lost my job tomorrow and couldn't find another at my age, I could lose my entire life savings from one extended hospital stay.

I'm for legislating that all companies must provide health insurance for all employees or be taxed to underwrite government provided health care.

• Eyebrow2
    Eyebrow2

I'm for legislating that all companies must provide health insurance for all employees or be taxed to underwrite government provided health care.

I agree that there is a crisis in this country, but what you are proposing would harm many small businesses in this country.

• GoingGoingGone
    GoingGoingGone
    If you are saying his employer does not offer benefits, shame on him or her. For one, this strikes me as odd.

My husband and I own a small business. We have 2 employees - young guys - and do not offer health insurance. We have workers comp, but not health insurance.

I have chronic health problems which have rendered me uninsurable. The only chance I have to get health insurance is group coverage, which is obligated to cover all employees. Problem is, 75% of your company has to accept the health insurance coverage, which for us would be 3 employees (my husband, myself, and 1 employee). We (the company) must pay 50% of the employee's premium. When we added it all up, we would be paying $2500.00 a month to cover myself, my husband and one employee. Second problem - at that bargain price, the coverage was terrible. Our young, healthy employees had much cheaper policies with much lower deductables already, even with the company paying 50% of the group rate for them! So, neither of them was interested in health insurance coverage from our company, unless we got a better policy. To get the coverage they already had, we would have had to pay in excess of $5000.00 a month for 3 people. That is not even remotely a possibility.

So now, my husband has health insurance which covers almost nothing, even though he has been healthy his entire life, and I cannot get insurance at all. My kids qualify for a subsidized insurance program, thank goodness, but I qualify for nothing. I have even looked into getting a job outside the home, just for the insurance, but with the health problems I'm dealing with right now, I can't do my husband's business and another job, too. So I have no insurance.

I am going to check out that link LDH provided... can't stop trying! But I'm not exactly hopeful.

GGG

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

IMO, Public health and Healthcare should be an assumed right from the cradle to the grave. It is a fundamental building block of civilization. We don't have to provide top-notch health care of course, but then again, we don't have to provide running water, electricity, or fire protection. Life is just much better for all of us if we do.

If Cuba can do it, we can do it.

All it takes is will.

"Cuba's achievements in social development are impressive given the size of its gross domestic product per capita. As the human development index of the United Nations makes clear year after year, Cuba should be the envy of many other nations, ostensibly far richer. [Cuba] demonstrates how much nations can do with the resources they have if they focus on the right priorities - health, education, and literacy."

• stillconcerned
    stillconcerned

Fairchild-

Do you know "the rest of the story" re the McDonald's verdict?

kdn

• Sparkplug
    Sparkplug

Having worked legally and above board for 21 years now, I can only say that I have been lucky. I have almost always had coverage on me, and when it was for a year there not inlusive of children, I was able to get medical via the State.

I really feel for all that don't have coverage. It really was scary when in 2004 I had to picket and go on strike to keep our benefits for our job. They actually tried to take it away from people who had retired already and had served an put in the time on this job. 2 days was worth it. Now my deductibles are higher. There is always a compromise. Now it is more likely if I an my kids need care, I go take care of them first and bootleg my medicine. It is a damn shame, mainly bad budgeting. But we do have great coverage and I know I will have to picket again when contract time comes up. (Union member and all)

It was really great when both my ex-husband and I worked for the same company. He had one plan and I the other. Between the two of us, we put four sets of braces on the children and him. That is almost impossible for any family to do nowdays, and it cost us 1/4 of one set of braces.

• hamsterbait
    hamsterbait

Just about every aspect of the citizen's life is allocated by the Government as a 'privilege' or a 'right'.

At least in America a penniless parent has the freedom and the right to watch his child die of TB or cancer because he cannot pay for treatment.

On the other hand a penniless JW parent has the right to refuse a transfusion for a child, and the state has the right to save that child's life. Maybe the poor (let's face it that's who you are really talking about) maybe the poor should all become Christian Scientists and refuse all treatment for their kids, then the state will pick up the tab.

CONTRADICTION?

Was the rescue effort in New Orleans a privilege visited on the mainly black and poor? How happy I am that the rich and better off could afford to evacuate themselves beforehand.

If your boat goes under off the coast, if you are wealthy enough to own a boat, you should have to pay the cost of your rescue.

If your child is trapped in a fire and you have enough income then you should be charged for the rescue of your child.

If you cannot pay then drown or fry.

Getting a disease like cancer is no more your fault than being shot dead by someone with the money or the freedom to buy a lethal weapon.

Under the constitution the pursuit of happiness is an inalienable right. That pursuit is protected under the law. Since health is essential to happiness, the best possible health care should be available to all so they can continue thier pursuit.

The main problem is that the health services are under the influence of the insurance and pharmaceuticals companies. They ensure their own huge salaries (and health schemes for their employees) while the poor are just told do make do or die.

This whole "let them die if they cannot afford it" thing is so heartless. And I bet many who think along these lines also think "let them die if we can afford to bomb them."

After all, buying one less missile would pay for the chemo of a woman with breast cancer.

HB

• hamsterbait
    hamsterbait

Another point =

Did you know that India is self sufficient in essential foodstuffs? The poor still starve because they cannot pay for food, or are too lazy/stupid to walk from Calcutta to Uttah-Pradesh for a free handout of curry and samosas. Or just rice.

Same people cause the problems: politicians and big business.

HB

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit