Health Care: A Right or a Privilege?

by prophecor 401 Replies latest members politics

• LDH
    LDH
    Although I do not agree with your stance regarding health care, I admire your moxie at making your life what you wanted. You're a goer. I hope that you will continue to find success.

Robyn

Thank you Robyn. If I thought the bean counters in Washington knew how to balance their checkbooks, I'd be all for National Health Care, because I do believe it is a better idea, and unless you're a stockholder in the health insurance game, public health care is a better financial deal...... Having said that, they'll never get their ducks in a row, because they don't want to, and the American people aren't making enough

• LDH
    LDH
    Although I do not agree with your stance regarding health care, I admire your moxie at making your life what you wanted. You're a goer. I hope that you will continue to find success.

Robyn

Thank you Robyn. If I thought the bean counters in Washington knew how to balance their checkbooks, I'd be all for National Health Care, because I do believe it is a better idea, and unless you're a stockholder in the health insurance game, public health care is a better financial deal...... Having said that, they'll never get their ducks in a row, because they don't want to, and the American people aren't making enough fuss

• LDH
    LDH

Robyn

Thank you Robyn. If I thought the bean counters in Washington knew how to balance their checkbooks, I'd be all for National Health Care, because I do believe it is a better idea, and unless you're a stockholder in the health insurance game, public health care is a better financial deal...... Having said that, they'll never get their ducks in a row, because they don't want to, and the American people aren't making enough fuss over this

• LDH
    LDH

Robyn

Thank you Robyn. If I thought the bean counters in Washington knew how to balance their checkbooks, I'd be all for National Health Care, because I do believe it is a better idea, and unless you're a stockholder in the health insurance game, public health care is a better financial deal...... Having said that, they'll never get their ducks in a row, because they don't want to, and the American people aren't making enough fuss over this yet.

• LDH
    LDH

wierd....

• Robdar
    Robdar

wierd.... 9 times for emphasis?

• LDH
    LDH

LOL, apparently I live in an alternate universe.

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

If only it were as simple as working hard. Life has always been a crap-shoot...

I'm not in the upper tax band (40% + National Insurance), so I pay tax + National Insurance at the regular rate of about 25% If I had enough surplus cash I might think about paying into a Private health plan, as there are a few notable ones like BUPA, over here in Britain. Frankly I can't afford it. I've not even got to the point of financial security where I can afford to pay into a pension plan, above and beyond the National Insurance one.

Heck, I once even had to go on social security for six weeks because there was absolutely no work available (I visited the Labour Exchange every day), and this was after having learnt a trade as a Joiner/Carpenter. Other than that I've been very fortunate and have since changed careers twice. Each time the jobs that have followed have been good timing rather than hard work (though I've worked hard all my life).

What about the poor souls who don't get such breaks, or even worse, get their lives totally destroyed by natural disasters or unplannable debilitating illness?

• LDH
    LDH
    I'm not in the upper tax band (40% + National Insurance), so I pay tax + National Insurance at the regular rate of about 25% If I had enough surplus cash I might think about paying into a Private health plan, as there are a few notable ones like BUPA, over here in Britain. Frankly I can't afford it. I've not even got to the point of financial security where I can afford to pay into a pension plan, above and beyond the National Insurance one.

Can I ask a question?

What does a Private health plan pay for that a socialized health plan doesn't? I don't understand the system of duplication? Why would you go on one of these plans, what is the incentive?

Heck, I once even had to go on social security for six weeks because there was absolutely no work available (I visited the Labour Exchange every day), and this was after having learnt a trade as a Joiner/Carpenter. ; Other than that I've been very fortunate and have since changed careers twice. ; Each time the jobs that have followed have been good timing rather than hard work (though I've worked hard all my life).

What about the poor souls who don't get such breaks, or even worse, get their lives totally destroyed by natural disasters or unplannable debilitating illness?

I think you raise a very good point.

Natural disasters suck, but we're going to have them. I wonder after seeing the devastation in the South, how many other families down there are making serious disaster relief program? Heck, I don't have an 'earthquak preparedness kit'--but I live in the part of CA that is not affected with quakes, a rather large stable plate.

Human beings in general want to put their head in the sand and play the crap shoot. Everyone does to some extent. At some point, when another human says, 'Take your head out of sand and look around you!" That human is ostracized as believing they are somehow 'above it all' or 'lucky.'

Hard work doesn't guarantee you anything but a sore back much of the time. For instance, in many tribal cultures, the work is VERY hard. And yet there are very few if any advances over time. People still using vines to tie together fences and what not.

Surely, I am lucky. But what is that quote--"Luck favors the prepared."

• sammielee24
    sammielee24
    What does a Private health plan pay for that a socialized health plan doesn't? I don't understand the system of duplication

I think this has been covered a number of times. Many countries, and the UK may be the same but I'm not sure so I'll speak for Canada - have national health care. This simply means that there is equal access to health care for everyone and it covers your doctors appointments, your hospitalization and surgeries, every 2 years your eye exams are paid etc. This health care is consistent no matter where you go in the country. What is not included, are things like eye wear, dental work, cosmetic surgery and things like that, therefore, many employers will still offer you a benefit, or you can buy private insurance to cover those things if you wish but it's not necessary. Many people will simply pay out of pocket for their glasses or dental work if they think it's better for them to do so. For those people on social assistance, they will receive additonal care for eyes and dental etc if they need it - especially if they are children. It is a combination of public/private health care but the major thrust of the system overall, is that if you need to visit a doctor or a hospital wether it's to have a cyst removed, get a physical, have a baby, cancer treatment, blood work etc, you do not require insurance to do so.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit