Tookie is running out of time

by jt stumbler 102 Replies latest social current

That sick individual would be me. -- Irongland

Irongland:

Yes, indeed you are a sick person. Any person who thinks an execution is "funny" is obviously a person devoid of human compassion. Also, your creation of the "Tookiewilliams" identity on this forum is a waste of server space and, I believe, a violation of forum rules regarding multiple identities. I doubt a person of your character would be troubled much about that. You're here to annoy others, and that's it. Get a life!

Your "working in the justice system"...means nothing, except that you have an opinion. And I can read just fine, too. -- Rabbit

It means a lot more than "just having an opinion," Rabbit. It means I sit in a postion that has a better view of the legal system than those who are not in the legal field. While that doesn't make my opinion more accurate than other opinions, it certainly provides a basis that is superior to a layman's. As for your contentions that you can read, I'm glad to hear it, but I never stated any opinion to the contrary.

As for your questions, let me clarify:

1. How do I know that? It doesn't take rocket science to figure out what Arnold is about. From his beginnings as a bodybuilder, to his current role as California's governor, this man has always had a lust for power. He has made this clear in his political life, saying he's "kicking butt on special interests" such as nurses, firefighters, and policemen, while at the same time licking butt to corporate special interests that pay as much as $10,000/plate to attend his fundraising dinners. He could not get our legislature to sign off on his foolhardy political ideas, so he thought he could sway the voters using his considerable charisma to pass initiatives to punish those "special interest" firefighters, policemen, nurses, and teachers. He failed. Polls now show he has worse approval ratings than Governor Davis, who was ousted by recall and replaced by Schwarzenegger. He has alienated the democratic support in this state, and granting clemency to Williams would likely have eroded his Republican support as well. The papers here noted that Tom McClintock would likely oppose him in the Republican primaries in the event he granted clemency. Mr. McClintock appeals to the Republicans in this state, and is no friend of Arnold's. He has yet to declare himself a candidate for governor. No, I don't "know" that politics was 100% the reason for the denial of clemency, but I'd be willing to bet a substantial amount of money that it was.

2. As for your question about juries and judges trying to advance their political interests, I never stated nor implied such an assertion, nor do I believe it. I think for the most part, our system works. However, I do believe there are problems when you have a poor defendant being prosecuted for a high profile crime such as murder. I know for a fact that district attorneys are judged by how many convictions they obtain, not whether or not justice is served. I know of district attorneys who were fired for making decisions in line with their conscience. I also know of unethical practices engaged in by district attorneys who seek a conviction regardless of its merits. The DA certainly is motivated to obtain a conviction regardless of the guilt of the defendant, and a poor defendant faces very high odds of being convicted. These are among the unfortunate realities of our system.

Pretty pathetic, but not surprising, given the views you've expressed.

That is not very respectful of you. I may have a different opinion, but, I think you'd be hard pressed to find anyone here who thinks; I'm "pathetic."

I can't see how your conduct was worthy of respect. The conduct complained of was a misrepresentation of my comments, followed by an attack on your own misrepresentations. That is pathetic, and my view on that is unchanged. Oh, and by the way, I didn't say you were pathetic, only that the tactic you used was. I have no grudge and would welcome an opportunity to discuss these matters over a couple of beer with you.
  • FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow
    read every book I could get my hands on by former inmates in various prisons around the US.

Now there's a trustworthy source!!!!

Not all of the books are by inmates and you do realize that this is not surprising news. You want to cut down on crime in this country, prison is not the place to send most offenders. There are also all kinds of documenteries you can see about prisons. Some prisons are better than others for sure, but most of them are horrible. Rehabilitation is not a goal of most any US prisons.

• LDH
    LDH
    You want to cut down on crime in this country, prison is not the place to send most offenders. There are also all kinds of documenteries you can see about prisons. Some prisons are better than others for sure, but most of them are horrible. Rehabilitation is not a goal of most any US prisons.

While I agree with you TOTALLY, it is not my system. It is the system we have in place. Simple logic would tell you that if you went to prison ONCE you would never want to go back. However the vast majority of the prison population does not have simple logic. They are addicted usually to immediate gratification. Whether their drug of choice is money, sex, murder, power--they want WHAT they want, WHEN they want it.

• FairMind
    FairMind

All the arguments that this individual deserved to die certainly justify the death penalty in the United States. Most of those executed in this country, deserve what they get and that makes it right. To me, the state executioner is an avenger for public justice.

The death penalty has everything to do with justice, despite politics. Most likely "the Terminator" did his job knowing righteousness was on his side. The decision boiled down to doing the “right thing”. Certainly Tookie did not deserve to live. There are times when human decency cries out for revenge and in those instances revenge is the right thing.

The injustice of the death penalty is that there are states and countries where bleeding hearts do their utmost to destroy what is just. Who cares that Tookie Williams was an intelligent man, what is important is that he was a murderer.

I too am ashamed at the desensitization towards violence and killing in this country. This desensitization is typified in those who have more feeling for the killer than the killer’s victims. Those who find this to be contrary to justice ought to take a long hard look at the ugly being that stares them in the face when they look in a mirror.

Most of those executed in this country, deserve what they get and that makes it right -- "Fairmind"

By his own statement, "Fairmind" admits that at least some of those executed in this country do not deserve what they get. For these people, execution is state-sponsored murder. According to "Fairmind," state-sponsored murder is acceptable if it is a by-product of what he/she deems to be justified homicide. Indeed, "Fairmind," your words speak volumes about your values.

There are times when human decency cries out for revenge and in those instances revenge is the right thing. -- "Fairmind"

"Revenge" is never "decent," and it never changes the facts it is a response to. Two wrongs don't make a right, except in the minds of the mentally ill.

I too am ashamed at the desensitization towards violence and killing in this country. "Fairmind"

Wow, what a contradiction. He/she is ashamed at the desensitization towards violence in killing in this country, and he responds to this impulse by advocating more killing.

Those who find this to be contrary to justice ought to take a long hard look at the ugly being that stares them in the face when they look in a mirror. "Fairmind"
    Fairmind, I'm just thankful that when I look in the mirror, I don't see your face.
  • LDH
    LDH

144:

Being happy that the unjust are brought to justice is ****SO**** not the same as gratuitous violence! Are you serious? Get a grip.

How about if we had let Tookie move in with you?

Lisa

I'll Bust a Cap, Class

Lisa: Thanks, but you seem more inclined to be his room mate.

• IronGland
    IronGland
    Yes, indeed you are a sick person. Any person who thinks an execution is "funny" is obviously a person devoid of human compassion.

You're here to annoy others, and that's it.

You're the only one complaining. I don't think my post history indicated i'm trying to annoy others.

1. How do I know that? It doesn't take rocket science to figure out what Arnold is about.
    Obviously since you're opining about it.

A lawyer's opinion is worth nothing unless paid for. "Virtue is in the middle," said the devil, as he sat down between two lawyers. When God wanted to chastise man He invented lawyers. When two dogs fight for a bone and a third runs off with it, there's a lawyer among the dogs. Q. Why don't sharks ever attack lawyers?

A. Professional courtesy.

Irongland,

Remember, you are the poster who initiated your interaction with me on this forum by engaging only in name-calling, which was promptly deleted by the moderators. Your own words paint a more accurate picture of you than anything I can say in response, so I'll just leave it at that.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit