Is Change Possible for Homosexuals?

by nicolaou 46 Replies latest social relationships

• nicolaou
    nicolaou

I don't know, you'd think we'd be used to reading crap like this but it still gets my goat.

Nic'

*** w74 8/15 p. 487 Is Change Possible for Homosexuals? ***

THINKING

TRANSFORMED

Since a person chooses to be homosexual, it is his thinking that has been affected, urging him to make that sexual preference. Reasonably, the Bible agrees that this is at the base of the problem. Paul writes about homosexuals, that "God gave them up to a disapproved mental state, to do the things not fitting." (Rom. 1:26-28) Such individuals have come to reason from the heart in a wrong way, developing perverted desires.—Matt. 15:18-20.

What the Bible says in this respect accords with the facts revealed by homosexuals. Thus an American explains the process by which his reasoning was won over to the homosexual viewpoint: "Homosexuality is the product of very complicated conditioning over an extended period of time . . . [Homosexuals] deliberately go through a brainwashing experience—‘I’m gay and I’m proud. I’m beautiful.’ This is reverse therapy."

This thinking is at the core of the homosexual problem. One could stop being homosexual only if one no longer thought like a homosexual and no longer had their desires. The Bible, in 1 Corinthians 6:11, shows that such a change in thinking is possible

emphasis added
  • Enigma One
    Enigma One

Yup, and masturbation urges needed to be fought off by avoiding "spicy" foods. The WTBS with their minions of uneducated, unexperienced, untraveled, idiots love to make themselves into experts on science, medicine, and psychology. The only thing they are experts in is evoking guilt and controling 6 million morons.

• GentlyFeral
    GentlyFeral

Oh, I'm sure change is possible for homosexuals. My daughter told me a classic experience.

She used to go to YRUU conventions. Over a few years, she made friends with a shy, retiring young man named Alex who always dressed in black.

After a year or two, the conventions gave him courage to deal with his sexuality. Yep, he came out, and started introducing himself as "Alex, the Big Gay Fruit." He now dress in bright colors like orange, and is a much happier, more outgoing person. Yes, Alex has put on the new personality!

Resplendent!

gentlyferal

• gumby
    gumby

Since a person chooses to be homosexual, it is his thinking that has been affected, urging him to make that sexual preference

Really....just like a child that 2 years old that's attracted to pink colors and remains a pink freak all her life? Did it just happen or did she choose pink by her continuously thinking about pink?

How about those who love chocolate? Are they chocoholics because they think about eating chocolate day in and out?

Some people are BORN with tendancies in certain directions... and others have tendancies in another. It's that simple.

Gumby

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free
    Yup, and masturbation urges needed to be fought off by avoiding "spicy" foods.

I guess I'm gonna have to cut back on the chicken vindaloo.

W

• nicolaou
    nicolaou

Surely if it's a choice then some must have chosen heterosexuality - otherwise there is no choice involved. So may I ask, did any 'straight' guy here reach the point in his teens where he looked at the girls, looked at the boys and then wondered to himself;

"Hmmmmm, bums or boobs. I think I'll choose . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . girls. No wait, yes - yes, no. Yes definately girls."

"One could stop being homosexual only if one no longer thought like a homosexual and no longer had their desires."
    Right. Just like a chicken could stop being a chicken if only it no longer thought like a chicken and had the desires of a chicken. Aaaaaaaaaaarrrghh!
  • dorayakii
    dorayakii

Of course we can change, look at this reliable Watchtower article from 1900...

CAN REPARATIVE THERAPY CHANGE THE ETHIOPIAN'S SEXUAL ORIENTATION?

"From Gay to Straight He Slowly Turned"

It has fallen to the lot of the Rev. William H. Draper, [...] to give a living affirmative answer to the famous Biblical question, posed by the ancient Prophet Jeremiah, "Can the Ethiopian change his sexual orientation or the leopard his sexual preference?" Though once as camp and effeminate as Graham Norton on speed, the Rev. Mr. Draper is now as straight as a yardstick. His people say that his sexuality was changed in answer to prayer. Many years ago Draper was employed by a heterosexual man, and he was often heard to remark that if he could only be straight like his employer, he would be happy.

Watch Tower 1900 October 1 (Well, not really. The real one's below...)

CAN RESTITUTION CHANGE THE ETHIOPIAN'S SKIN?

"From Black to White He Slowly Turned"

Parkersburg, W. Va., Sept. 8. It has fallen to the lot of the Rev. William H. Draper, pastor of the Logan Memorial church, of Washington Conference, A.M.E. church, of this town, to give a living affirmative answer to the famous Biblical question, "Can the Ethiopian change his skin or the leopard his spots?" Though once as black as charcoal, the Rev. Mr. Draper is now white. His people say that his color was changed in answer to prayer. Many years ago Draper was employed by a fair-skinned man, and he was often heard to remark that if he could only be white like his employer, he would be happy.

Watch Tower 1900 October 1 (http://quotes.watchtower.ca/race.htm)

• sass_my_frass
    sass_my_frass

I'm going to try something...

"Being a cult member is the product of very complicated conditioning over an extended period of time . . . [Cult members] deliberately go through a brainwashing experience—‘I’m ignorant and I’m proud. I’m beautiful.’ This is reverse therapy."

This thinking is at the core of the cult problem. One could stop being a cult member only if one no longer thought like a drone and developed some desires. The Bible, in 1 Corinthians 6:11, shows that such a change in thinking is possible

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

It is so naive to lump all homosexuals into one box. There are a multitude of reasons why people become or more accurately are homosexual. And there are various types, ranging from mostly staight, to bi, to so gay they would never touch someone of the opposite sex.

I am amazed at how many JWs still hold to this same narrow view that all gays are really straight but misguided.

• Abaddon
    Abaddon

Whilst having full respect for the right to an opinion of those opposed to homosexuals (I don't have to LIKE their opinions, but they have a total right to believe nonsense if they so choose), I do confess to wanting to grab them by their figurative lapels and yell something like;

"WELCOME TO THE 21ST CENTURY!!! KEEP YOUR ARMS AND LEGS INSIDE THE CAR AND TRY TO ENJOY THE RIDE!!!! PLEASE UPDATE YOUR VERSION OF REALITY AS SOON AS POSSIBLE OR DISORIONTATION MAY RESULT!!!!"

*sigh* It is all so same-old-same-old...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit