They saw my Xmas tree! What do I say?

by Rayvin 53 Replies latest jw friends

• cab1000
    cab1000

Hiya,

I've been there. Heck, I'll be back there too. Here was my thread: http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/6/80983/1.ashx

We will be having a tree this year too....cant wait to let more people down....sigh....

~cab

• rebel8
    rebel8

How about, "I'd really appreciate it if you wouldn't visit me without calling first." The way I see it, this is not just a JW issue. The problem is you don't want your relatives stopping in without notifying you first, so you can keep private things private. Boundaries. As far as door knockers go, you can say, "I'd appreciate it if you wouldn't visit uninvited."

• jgnat
    jgnat

Thanks for the background, daystar.

For privacy, how about putting up the tree in one of the bedrooms? If guests show up, close the door. Of course, all the subterfuge may not work. Children talk.

If it all comes out, I'd be sorely tempted to do what RunningMan suggests, ...pause.....big grin....."Merry Christmas!"

• Rayvin
    Rayvin

The kids talking!! Thats another big thing. I talked with hubby last night and he was saying he doesn't want to add things in the house that will make it worse. I said..well..Daystar and his son are coming over..what should we tell our parents..they are coming over for our..anniversary (on the 20th) and then his son has a load of new stuff? And he may say something about the Tree..little or big. Hubby says"he didn't say anything last year"..well no he didn't but this is another year. Plus, our mom is manipulative if she sees alot of new presents in her house on Dec 26 she can easily ask the young boy details of his visit in a way to make him talk without thinking he is saying anything wrong. My girls know my parents and my husbands don't do holidays and that we try to respect thier beliefs by not mentioning what we do for the holidays to them. My oldest Daughter on her own has found interesting ways to dodge the questions or answer in vague ways..and I have also caught her just out-n-out lying. It saddened me.

I like the idea of " Please don't come over uninvited" -However, The lights on the house will be a give away. lol

• daystar
    daystar

Rayvin,

They're not stupid. They know we went over there last Xmas. They saw him come home with a bunch of presents. They're probably in denial.

• forsharry
    forsharry

And this is what's wrong with the Dubs. Why should you HAVE to care what other people think about what you do?

Do you WANT a tree? Yes? Put one up then. Make yourself happy. If the JWs don't like it, that's their panties in a bunch.

I know that was a very simplistic statement not taking so many issues into account. I'm sure that was unfair of me, but ultimately...and dump the guilt and the worry to the wayside for a moment. Do you and your husband want to put up a tree and celebrate christmas this year? No? Yes? If you honestly don't feel comfortable with it yet...then don't push it...but if you really want to do it then there you are.

But very good questions from other posters. Why is your hubby so worried? If he's Df'd what's the big deal? Perhaps the two of you need to talk about where these worries are coming from first. That would be where I would start.

Best of Luck

Forsharry (Of the Christmas Tree Mania Class)

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

One year when we were seriously short of money and I wanted to decorate the tree, I made ginger bread people out of paper bags to hang on the tree, popcorn garlands out of packing material, popcorn stars, and multi-colored paper chains. My husband was pretty impressed when the tree was fully decorated and lit up. It was beautiful. One thing I love watching during the holidays is "A Christmas Carol". I tried to watch every version that I can, even if it's the same one shown on a different channel.

Josie

• Sunspot
    Sunspot
    One year when we were seriously short of money and I wanted to decorate the tree, I made ginger bread people out of paper bags to hang on the tree, popcorn garlands out of packing material, popcorn stars, and multi-colored paper chains. My husband was pretty impressed when the tree was fully decorated and lit up. It was beautiful.

EXACTLY!!!

Some really nice "stuff" can be made from pine cones from the park, a tiny 40 cent jar of craft paint and/or some glitter glue from someplace like Walmart!

Bread dough ornies can be made from stale bread and glue.....with or without using cookie cutters. Little "gingerbread men" and teddy bears can be made using this dough.....there are just SO many ideas and things to make that cost pennies!

I've seen some pretty impressive work done using brown paper bags (on TV craft shows) like Josie said, I have yet to do any myself though. (Nice post Josie!)

There are recipes for making bread dough and flour/salt dough things online. You'd be amazed at the creativity of some people and the things they dream up using these techniques!

ENJOY the joy!

hugs,

Annie

• truckerann
    truckerann

After reading your posts I had to share this funny story about the hiding of a Xmas tree...My sisters had put up a tree...they worked hours on the tree...putting the tinsel just right evenly over the tree...the ornaments were just perfectly arranged...after they were all finished...My grandmother, who was a devote witnesses at the time was pulling in the drive way...she hadn't visited us in a long time...we weren't expecting her...my sisters got up real quick and both of them pulled the tree into the garage...the tinsel and ornaments were flying everywhere...the scene was so funny like something right out of a "I love lucy" episode...Funny thing was that my grandmother didn't even get out of her car...she just honked her horn for someone to come out...since she was running late for a bible study and wanted to drop off some clothes that she bought for us at a yard sale and of course some literature on Why Witnesses don't celebrate X-mas...

• Rayvin
    Rayvin

Oh my! That is a great story. And since I am an 'I love Lucy' fan i can just see it now.

I am glad to see you posting. I am honored that it was my posts that have drawn you out!

WELCOME!!!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit