They saw my Xmas tree! What do I say?

by Rayvin 53 Replies latest jw friends

• fairchild
    fairchild

The truth is always the best way to go, imho. I'd just tell them the truth.. "I love a big tree so I got a big one because I was sick and tired of hiding the little one every time someone knocked on the door".

If for some reason you can't be that straight with them (perhaps they can't handle the truth), here's a good excuse. Someone at work bought this tree but his wife really wanted a smaller one. So he dropped it off at your place and you took it in the house because you didn't want it to die at the front door. Then, lo and behold, you woke up the next morning and the tree was decorated. You have NO idea how that happened, it's just one of those freak things..

• Sunspot
    Sunspot

You could always toss out a scripture or two at them...

"Therefore let no man judge you in eating or drinking or in respect of a festival or of an observance of the new moon or of a sabbath" Col 2:16

"Therefore let us not be judging one another any longer" Romans 14:13a

• Rayvin
    Rayvin

Thank you all for such great suggestions..lol

I guess what i am just fearing are the ...phone calls . The daily regular phone calls I usually make to my dad. I have a feeling ..once they find out the truth that the phone calls will either cease or be forever awkward.

But..just like cold water- its best to just jump in -the sooner you can adjust and get used to the temp.

The one suggestion that mentioned complete denial reminded me of a funny story ( not sure if its true) A husband got caught by his wife with another woman. The wife said.."Who is this woman?" Husband says " What woman?" (the mistress standing right next to him...starts picking up her clothes) The wife dumbfounded walks away to cool off..by the time she comes back to the room to continue the discussion the room is cleaned up , bed made and the other woman is gone. The wife asks " where did she go?" Husband says" where did who go? Hey, whats for dinner? I'm starved." He walks off toward the kitchen. The wife stands there..thinking..'Have I gone mad?'

Anyway....

My big plans for xmas are hopefully a big tree.. with popcorn garland and lots of tinsle. Me and Daystar are trying to come up with our own traditions since this will be our 2nd xmas as a family. We are thinking of picking a movie or two that we will watch every year. I am more into the carols.. the non religious ones ( i always imagined the family around the piano singing. uh...yea right..as if they would )

• Sunspot
    Sunspot

We have done something the past few years, letting everyone there open just one gift (any one with their name on it) on Christmas Eve. It takes some of the tension off the little ones to know they can open the "just one" present, and even the adults seem to like this too.

If you are "crafty"....there are hundreds and hundreds of craft sites this time of year that show how to make different ornaments, tons of which are ones that kids can make on their own. I've been downloading so many to file away if I don't get to them all this year LOL!

The anticipation of this holiday is so much fun....the decorating, the lights, the great feeling it gives you as you make the plans....and for making others happy....it is just so terrific IMHO. For having gone so many years NOT celebrating it....I am making up for lost time and the lost joy. My heart doesn't see what a "horrible" pagan event this is.....but it sees what love it represents to everyone that feels the same and wants to share it.

hugs,

Annie

• Rayvin
    Rayvin

thx annie

• Seven
    Seven

Rayvin,

Print a few of these out to show to the family.

• Honesty
    Honesty

Show them their presents but tell them they can't be opened until December 25th.

• crazyblondeb
    crazyblondeb

Tell them "those darn smurfs must have snuck the tree in."

shelley

• onacruse
    onacruse

Kate and I were married on Xmas day, so my folks wanted to stop by the next year with an anniversary card.

I hemmed and hawwed, and finally said: "Mom, you don't want to visit us right now...we have an Xmas tree in our living room."

Geez, I've played enough of those "avoidance" games over the years...if I couldn't stop then, after 50+ friggin years, then there was no hope for me.

They mailed the card.

• horrible life
    horrible life

To be a truly "worldly" person, you have to have extra gifts under the tree. Generic gifts, like candles, wine etc... When people come over, reach under the tree, and tell them you got this gift for them! Ray, Go ahead with the 4 foot tree, but keep in mind that bigger is better. Each year, I want a bigger tree. After Christmas this year, I swear I'm not sleeping in, I am going to buy a 9 foot tree on the clearance rack. HL

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit