Defeating the Atheist/Agnostics (an evolving post)

by JasonSea 122 Replies latest jw friends

• nicolaou
    nicolaou

Oh crap! Is he gone? He is isn't he? He's gone. Damn, I always miss the best parties.

So guys, am I the only one who wishes he was Crumpet's apple?

Nic'

• daystar
    daystar
    So guys, am I the only one who wishes he was Crumpet's apple?

I don't know. But I wish I was Crumpet's apple.

• kid-A
    kid-A

Welcome to the board JasonSea!

Found a great NEW avatar for you and it includes your IQ score!!! Cheers !!!

• jaffacake
    jaffacake
    You atheists do not believe in God, but believe that all life evolved from single-celled organisms. You cannot prove this as fact with your scientific methodology thus you are accepting the premise on FAITH.

Jason

You seem keen to put everyone into a tidy box. Are you truly unaware that most theists including most Christians do indeed believe that all life evolved from single-celled organisms.

Seems you've led a sheltered life and only been exposed to the modern Americal style of fundamentalist religion!? Just my two-penneth.

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

You really should not lump together agnostics and atheists when you go on and on about "FAITH". I do not believe there is any empirical evidence of the existence of God (whatever God may be). This is NOT the same thing as saying that I believe there is evidence/proof that God does not exist. The notion of God is simply a hypothesis that can neither be proved nor falsified through empirical observation (which is what science is about). I have no such faith in God's "non-existence" as you have faith in his existence.

Faith, btw, is a matter of belief without empirical evidence or proof. Faith is not supported by evidence or proof; it is itself its own proof of things unseen (cf. Hebrews 11:1). If we take this philosophical perspective, faith has nothing to do with "empirical proof". So why ask people whom you believe have a particular "faith" to prove it?

I believe you also misunderstand the purpose of science, which is to test and falsify hypotheses (in probabalistic terms, as to which hypothesis or theory better accounts for the data and best predicts observed phenomena). It is not the business of science to test things that cannot be tested. Let me ask you this: Can you prove empirically that Thor, the god of thunder, is not actually behind the physical processes involved in the production of thunder and lightening? Scientists can explain quite intelligently how thunder and lightning occur, but this does not disprove Thor's existence, does it? Rather, the burden of proof is on Thor-believers to show why there is a reason to attribute meterological activity to a supernatural deity. A scientist's disbelief in Thor is not based on faith, it is based on the lack of any compelling evidence to assume the existence of Thor as a necessary condition to explain the phenomena of lightning.

• luna2
    luna2

Leolaia, I always love reading your posts. I don't always completely understand them, but I try my best.

• John Doe
    John Doe
    I'm just about ready to leave. This forum format is really pissing me off. I don't like it and it is very difficult to make gramatical corrections though the edit process. So, I imagine I will be leaving you very soon. I expected more from a Jehovahs Witness forum. This is disgraceful for YOU are disgraceful and an affront to Lord Jehovah!

Please don't go, Mr. Sir. Your arguments make perfect sense, and I cannot spot non sequitur, false dillemma, argument ad hominem, post hoc, red herring, or curcular argumentation in any of them. You may be the most intelligent, gifted, truth-filled debator dictator I've ever had the privelege of casting my faith filled eyes and ears on.

Your ability to navigate our poor forum software is a testament to your intelligence, and you've made me realize what I believe. I certainly didn't know what I beleived before you told me, and I'm glad you filled me in. Heaven knows I didn't know I ever even considered single-cell and big-bang theory. From where have you acquired your dazzling intellect and gregarious personality?

• tetrapod.sapien
    tetrapod.sapien

holy crap man,

what is it with fundies waking up so early in the morning and posting? i was out late last night and slept in until noon today. jeepers.

oh well, just another idiotic jackass passing through i guess.

hey jason, if all you ever read is van til, or apologetic books and web sites, i could see how you actually think you have some good arguments. i mean, they don't actually tell you in those books that your arguments have already been raked over the coals thousands of times by people 30 freaking times smarter than you.

no, they just send you out to the slaughter with the faith that you're pleasing jesus. wow, it really is that simple.

TS

• tetrapod.sapien
    tetrapod.sapien
    Ever noticed that people who believe in Creationism look really unevolved?

- Bill Hicks

• stevenyc
    stevenyc

Damn, I missed him!

Jason, your post is truly a wonderful gift.

steve

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit