How Did Watching Mel Gibson's "The Passion of the Christ" Make You Feel?

by Ianone 92 Replies latest jw experiences

• ithinkisee
    ithinkisee
    I found the movie to be a bit boring. We all know the plot, so without any twists or enhancements, it doesn't really liven anything up. With all those subtitles, I might as well of been reading my Bible. I definitely think that the movie bred hate against the Jewish community. I'm sure that the message was well intended, but it didn't deliver for me.

Leave it to a smart-ass high-schooler to offer the most mature review ... heh ... I love you man!

-ithinkisee

• Frogleg
    Frogleg

I guess it would be nearly impossible to accurately or truthfully tell such a story in 90 minutes. The movie came across like an impressionistic painting, rather than a photograph.

Avishai, I read the link you had in your reply and it was exceptionally interesting. It is unfortunate, but you are correct in your assessment of JC's suffering and death. Can it really be called a sacrifice?

An interesting point is how the WTS views the whole thing. The Bible says that God so loved the world (world? I thought he hated this world and all the things in it? Oh, well, I digress.) that he gave His only blah, blah, blah.... Yet the WTS says that JC died to vindicate God's name, and that we humans receive benefit in only a coincidental way. ("Jesus Christ", I exclaimed, "What's the bloody problem? Can this diety not just DO something in a direct and incisive way? It must take this guy forever just to mow the f*ing lawn!")

But my question is: if JCs whacking settled the "legal" question brought up int the GOE, and the "Sacred Secret" was fulfilled, then what the f**k have we been doing for the past 2000 years?

• RichieRich
    RichieRich
    Leave it to a smart-ass high-schooler to offer the most mature review ... heh ... I love you man!

Just speaking my mind...

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

Rich:
    Just bear in mind that the adulation is coming from a gorilla in a bikini...

• Crumpet
    Crumpet

frankly I found it irritating. It should have been called The Passivity of The Christ. There was very little explanation as to why he felt he needed to be flogged and killed so brutally. yes we're all meant to know the story but for those who aren't Christian I can't see how it would convert them at all.

LT to you and many others he may seem a "personal friend" but doubtless there are one or two who were friends of Hitler and Osama and Lenin - and I would defend my right to criticise them equally. However I do admire loyalty of friends, however misguided I feel that loyalty to be.

• RichieRich
    RichieRich
    It should have been called The Passivity of The Christ. There was very little explanation as to why he felt he needed to be flogged and killed so brutally.

Thats the sequel right there...

Doomsday

Nisan 15th

Jesus just jumping off the stake/cross and whooping ass, killin Romans, healing lepers, that would e so good.

• MegaDude
    MegaDude

I watch a lot of films and I thought "Passion of the Christ" was well directed, shot and acted.

I liked it for a number of reasons. Jesus stood up against the leaders of the religion he was raised in and I can relate to that. The film shows a man resolute in his determination to hold to his God or his beliefs despite terrible physical brutality inflicted on him.

I liked it for the same reasons I liked "The Shawshank Redemption" and "Braveheart" which had similar themes: Are some things worth dying for, risking everything for, suffering for?

• tetrapod.sapien
    tetrapod.sapien

i was still a johokee witney when i saw the film, mentally and all. i asked my wife to come see it with me and she refused. who knows why.

i remember leaving the theatre and thinking to myself: "wow, that strengthened my faith." i, weirdly enough, at the time also liked the portrayal of satan, and that there was a lot of arabic in the movie. i think that speaks volumes.

but when i think of xians, i think of people who hold this jesus to also be God. capital G. so jesus is basically jehover too. you know, the nausiating temper tantrum throwing child of the OT. creator of the universe, with all it's suffering. genocides, all that crap. not stepping in and doing any goddamn thing about it all. just lurking around and showing himself to the occasional person that he seems to like. that person, regardless of whether he died for everyone, is no better than anyone else who has died. the difference is all the people who have died for him. think about that for a second.

he may be a nice pal to you folks, but to me he's he's not that person at all. he's fucked my life over once, and never showed up for me when i needed him the most. why? because there are special rules i need to follow to get his friendship. well screw that, and i'm not even sorry for saying that he deserves to suffer.

LT,

this day and age you say? this day and age? well, what a remarkable time we live in, indeed. jesus has done a nill for us, and people are supposed to respect this guy?

TS

• tetrapod.sapien
    tetrapod.sapien
    Are some things worth dying for, risking everything for, suffering for?

no, not really.

• Balsam
    Balsam

The cruelity of mans inhuman treatment of other humans is sickening. Apart from the religious myth it is a reflection of the days of the Roman empire. I found it moving but not from a religious aspect, but from a human aspect.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit