This past sunday's wt had a hilarious paragraph...

by Check_Your_Premises 90 Replies latest jw friends

• freedomlover
    freedomlover

That was truly an interesting paragraph from the WT! However what I found even more interesting was the article on the Mennonites that followed that study article. There were some AMAZING similarities between Mennonites and JW's. Under the subheading "Mennonites Today" - last para. - there is a quote from a Mennonite that says " So as to keep us under their control, the preacher's don't let us learn Spanish." (the language of the country they live in!) Further states - "many feel oppressed and live in dread of being expelled from the community - a terrible prospect for one who has never experienced life outside." Then under the subheading "Facing Trials for the Truth"( some Mennonites had ONE bible study with witnesses and their elders came around and said you can't do that!) The Mennonites tell them "we cannot do as you ask" How did the elders react? "They expelled them for studying the bible! This was a cruel blow indeed!"

Anybody else see the similarities here????!!!!!!

• ozziepost
    ozziepost
    "Facing Trials for the Truth"( some Mennonites had ONE bible study with witnesses and their elders came around and said you can't do that!) The Mennonites tell them "we cannot do as you ask" How did the elders react? "They expelled them for studying the bible! This was a cruel blow indeed!"

Similarities? Oh yes, but the WTS won't see it!

"There's none so blind as those who will not see."

• AuldSoul
    AuldSoul
    Indeed, though you might like to note that "clean-cut" does not mean the same as "clean-shaven".

Jeffro, that's so true. In fact, to the Galatians Paul wrote that he wished some of them would get themselves "cut" (KJV) and he wasn't talking about shaving at all.

AuldSoul

• Rayvin
    Rayvin

It actually says " those who become disgruntled because of fleshly thinking or unfulfilled expectations .."

They wont say thier predictions failed.. but thier followers got the idea that certian things were supposed to happen at a certain time and if it didn't happen when they expected them too then its thier own fault.

• heathen
    heathen

Rayvin --- Good to see you are still around . I couldn't agree more . They simply will not take accountability for their mind F@#$ game of holding the kingdom carrot on a stick . They are the ones who kept saying the kingdom will be here soon very soon so you need to get that time slip in on time or you need to study more , spend more time in field service ....yadda yadda . Instead they blame the followers . Here was the perfect chance for them to show humility by asking forgiveness and apologizing but nooooooooooooooooo , Why we are the FDS put here by God to kick you in the A$$ because you are lazy and stupid , we can't be blamed for anything ............

• daystar
    daystar

Additionally, heathen, perhaps you have had a chance to note the violent reaction a current JW will have to you if you bring those points up.

I my experience, such a violent reaction is certainly a telling sign that a nerve has been hit.

• jgnat
    jgnat

Daystar, I think you are on to something. In these past months I noticed the elders (and my JW hubby) were scoffing at those poor sods who were disappointed when 1975 didn't happen. They, at least, had stayed the course. You bring to mind that maybe they protest too loud.

• undercover
    undercover

Ask 5 different JWs about 1975 and you'll get 5 different answers.

My mother says that the WTS never said anything about 1975. She's in complete denial and believes all the post event propaganda.

One elder said that the WTS only said that 1975 was the end of 6000 years of man's existance and nothing else.

Another elder said that they WTS only "hinted" at 1975 being very close to the end. It was a possiblity but it wasn't positively the exact date. But it was an indication that we are only getting closer.

Another elder admitted to me, to the horror of another elder who was trying to deny the 1975 hysteria, that he was a pioneer in 1974 and that he and some other JW youths had a "end of the world party" in the summer of 1975. He fully expected it to come in 1975. His memory about it was better than the others but he is still deluding himself none the less.

• heathen
    heathen

I've read plenty on the 1975 era and could see that even at the conventions there was quite a stir as to whether or not the world would end and it seemed like most were convinced it was going to . For the society to dodge the issue the way they do is just plain sick . They created the hype with the 6000 yrs. of mans existence, after all it was good for buisness . People were selling their worldly possessions and living in squalor . What I want to know is did the WTBTS ever counsel people not to, based on the fact it was only speculation ?

• plmkrzy
    plmkrzy
    I have realized something recently. I can speed read most j-dub publications very easily.

lol! Lately my version of speed reading a publication is looking at the title then putting it down.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit