This past sunday's wt had a hilarious paragraph...

by Check_Your_Premises 90 Replies latest jw friends

• defd
    defd

Oh Defd, I so want to give you a hug !!!!!!!! I used to say "Im staying in dispite everyone else, satans not going get me "

Vitty

Ok here ya go..........................................

D.

• ozziepost
    ozziepost

Could I join in please? This is kinda addressed to you defd but is more of an observation than anything else.

You see, I never could, and I mean NEVER, understand the Dubs interpretation of that scripture about not neglecting the house of our God etc. You see the Witnesses apply that to THEIR meetings at the KH which leaves me with a problem. They gather three times a week, right? So ito be "regular" you have to attend all three times, OK so far?

Well, where on earth in that scripture does it speak of how many times the gatherings for fellowship ("meetings)) were? It doesn't.

Now take this a bit further. Suppose the WTS in their wisdom decided that congregations should meet five times a week, then the present 'enough' of three times would be insufficient - you would be viewed as weak, wouldn't you?

So doesn't it show the sheer folly of believing that to 'obey' that text you have to attend every meeting that is arranged at the KH?

In case you're worried, the text (Heb 10:25) was referring to the gatherings of the early church which were nothing like the formal meetings conducted in Kingdom Halls.

• defd
    defd

Ozzie I agree with you. The bible does not give how many times a week we should meet. The FDS has set that up. I believe they did it for the reason of keeping people spiritual. We are out in the world EVERYDAY ALL day. You have to admit that there are ALOT of negative and bad influences in this world. I believe they use those meetings to counter that. I used to call the meetings a "SHOT IN THE ARM" (not meaning that it is painful ) Now I do believe that it is a hectic schedule at times but I think it is needed. Now if we miss some here and there, I will say it again, the brothers may condemn you but Jehovah God and Jesus would not.

• ozziepost
    ozziepost

defd:

I think they're more afraid of "the world" than the world is afraid of them.

• Golf
    Golf

"OUR" predictions failed? Hmmmmmm, like how many?

Golf

• ozziepost
    ozziepost
    Only the anointed are included in the context.

AuldSoul;

Isn't that all christians? Are there any other christians?

• Jeffro
    Jeffro

defd:

We are out in the world EVERYDAY ALL day. You have to admit that there are ALOT of negative and bad influences in this world. I believe they use those meetings to counter that.

This is of course a very simplistic, and with some Witnesses even delusional, viewpoint of anything non-JW being 'wordly' and therefore have some negative connotation that needs to counteracted by JW dogma, and that the 'meetings' are a haven where there are never bad influences.

Even those 'worldly' people who live clean lives by JW standards are still viewed in this same negative way simply because they do not share Witness beliefs.

Enforcing such a negative, xenophobic view of outsiders, independent of any other issues, is a negative and bad influence on its own.

• ozziepost
    ozziepost

CYP:

"if we start feeling this way, it really shows that our heart condition is not right"

They're on a guilt trip again!

• defd
    defd

Jeffro

If you look at my post again I NEVER mention PEOPLE. I said the WORLDS influence, there is a difference. I know there are MANY good people out there who are not JWS.

• TheListener
    TheListener

The 5 meetings a week aren't designed to bolster your faith in God or Jesus or Jesus' ransom sacrifice. They are designed to keep you faithful to the organization.

You could spend 10 years away from any meeting and still have a fundamental belief and love in and for God. Just by looking at the world around you it is possible to remember the goodness that God has created and how wonderful it is. Meeting after meeting isn't needed to do this. (atheists and evolutionists need no respond).

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit