This past sunday's wt had a hilarious paragraph...

by Check_Your_Premises 90 Replies latest jw friends

• Check_Your_Premises
    Check_Your_Premises
    I REALLY do understand what you mean and how you feel

I know you do defd.

You hang out where there are alot of folks who have had it with the "friends". Naturally you are going to be an easy target for those who would like to say in anonymity what they are not allowed to say in person.

• daystar
    daystar
    You share the trappings of your faith (books, magazines)
    This is exactly why I dont respond to you. I knew I would regret it. I was being sincere and non confrontational and answered your question respectfully and nice. In return, you dog me by stating my faith is trapping, I am self respecting.

LOL defd! I think jgnat already responded to your misunderstanding. One of the "trappings" of my line of work would be a network analyzer. There is not exactly the connotation that I'm any way trapped by this.

ROFL!

• heathen
    heathen
    I think they teach that Noah was warned the flood was coming . . . and the flood came. There's one obvious, significant difference when comparing the Jehovah's Witnesses to Noah. :-)

I think the point of the aricle was that it took Noah a long time to build the ark and that the flood did not happen immediately after God said it would . The WTBTS is responsible for the hype to begin with but then wants to blame it's followers for getting their hopes up and then being let down . I think even the bible says when you start seeing the fullfillment of the signs of the end that you shoud lift your head up and rejoice because deliverance is close at hand .So what religion goes on about identifying the signs more than any other .........? J_DUBS .I've even heard elders go on at the local cong . how they expected to walk right out of this world into the new system , that's how close the system was and that was 10+ years ago . Rutherfords millions now living will never die , is a clear cut example of how the religion causes these false expectations .

• AuldSoul
    AuldSoul

I know the frustration you are expressing, defd. I have come to acknowledge that the people at the meetings are not so Godly. They go through the motions of Godliness. Or rather, they go through the motions of what the Governing Body tells them is Godly.

You don't hear foul language at the meetings, but that isn't because they don't use foul language. It's because they don't use foul language around other JWs.

Everyone is smiling, but it isn't because they are happy. It is because they believe JWs are "the happiest people on earth" and they are trying to prove it.

Everyone seems considerate of everyone else, but that isn't because they are considerate. It's because they believe they are supposed to be.

Once I figured out what is really going on it turned my stomach to sit amongst them. Hebrews 10:24, 25 is out of context and is not said to be "encouragement." JWs take it as a command from God. Taken in context by their own explanations of the Bible it only applies to the anointed.

Hebrews 10:19-25 19 Therefore, brothers, since we have boldness for the way of entry into the holy place by the blood of Jesus, 20 which he inaugurated for us as a new and living way through the curtain, that is, his flesh, 21 and since we have a great priest over the house of God, 22 let us approach with true hearts in the full assurance of faith, having had our hearts sprinkled from a wicked conscience and our bodies bathed with clean water. 23 Let us hold fast the public declaration of our hope without wavering, for he is faithful that promised. 24 And let us consider one another to incite to love and fine works, 25 not forsaking the gathering of ourselves together, as some have the custom, but encouraging one another, and all the more so as YOU behold the day drawing near.

Only the anointed are included in the context.

AuldSoul

• AlmostAtheist
    AlmostAtheist
    Everyone is smiling, but it isn't because they are happy. It is because they believe JWs are "the happiest people on earth" and they are trying to prove it.

When I first left the Watchtower, I read a book called "Losing Faith in Faith" by Dan Barker. He described sitting on the platform at his church's equivalent of a JW assembly, waiting to give a part. The speaker said to the audience, "We are the happiest people on earth!" My eyeballs nearly fell from their sockets as I read it, knowing I'd heard those EXACT words from a hundred JW platforms over the years.

The book was very dry and hard to read. Barker strikes me a "fundamentalist atheist", which is little better than a fundamentalist anything else. But it made some memorable points.

Dave

• M.J.
    M.J.
    I can speed read most j-dub publications very easily. THe material is so dumbed down, that it is quite simple to skim the material and get the gist. Also so much of it is a rehash. I can skip whole paragraphs when I hear one of their stupid, standard arguments coming on.

I think this is why my wife wasn't all that into the study. She's heard the same song and dance like 100 times before. Nothing new.

dfed, too bad to hear how bad you're feeling about staying away from meetings. Does this study in particular guilt-trip the heck out of you? Didn't it scare you? It seems to have been designed for that. Guilt, fear, & ambitions of reward, IMO, shouldn't define your relationship with your Father.

• Honesty
    Honesty
    Like Enoch and Noah, we live in turbulent times, but like them, we have the privilege of walking with God.

That's so hilarious!!

The WT Governing Body has stolen Christ's authority and position and then the theives claim that they walk with God.

• Jeffro
    Jeffro

Some here have been a little harsh on 'defd'. Really, sometimes if someone gives someone a book, it doesn't mean they're being prideful or superior, even for a second... sometimes they really are just being courteous. It is arrogant, presumptuous, and unfair to automatically impute bad motives to people.

However, defd:

And yes my desire is that ANY visitor would show interest in Jehovah God and Jesus, like me.

You do know the Witnesses' beliefs are wrong, don't you??

• vitty
    vitty

Oh Defd, I so want to give you a hug !!!!!!!! I used to say "Im staying in dispite everyone else, satans not going get me "

• Rayvin
    Rayvin

Sorry.. i came to this thread and read up to page 2 and wanted to say that when I was going to the Hall and I saw someone w/out a book and I happen to have an extra I am sad to say that when I lent one them.. I felt religious superiority over them and in a way hoped the eyes of others saw what a nice person I was. I always felt above others that weren't in "the truth". I now know how wrong and how --Not Humble-- I really was.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit