Daniel's Prophecy, 605 BCE or 624 BCE?

by Little Bo Peep 763 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Jeffro
    Jeffro
    the context of Jeremiah 25: 9-11 is about the deolation of the land becoming a devastated place, an object of astonishment for seventy years. In order for this to occur the people of tha land would also suffer punishment as exiles in servitude to Babylon. Tjis pasage proves that the seventy years has as its primary focus desolation of the land with the people exiled in servitude for that same paeriod of seventy years.

You state this as if it is true. However your statement simply cannot be reconciled side by side with the verses in question using any interpretation of the words employed in the passage. Your implication that the verse refers specifically to Jewish exile is flawed. Jeremiah 25:9-11:

9 here I am sending and I will take all the families of the north,” is the utterance of Jehovah, “even [sending] to Neb·u·chad·rez´zar the king of Babylon, my servant, and I will bring them against this land and against its inhabitants and against all these nations round about; and I will devote them to destruction and make them an object of astonishment and something to whistle at and places devastated to time indefinite. 10 And I will destroy out of them the sound of exultation and the sound of rejoicing, the voice of the bridegroom and the voice of the bride, the sound of the hand mill and the light of the lamp. 11 And all this land must become a devastated place, an object of astonishment, and these nations will have to serve the king of Babylon seventy years.”’
  • scholar
    scholar

Jeffro

Absolutely not! Jeremiah made frequent references to what would happen to the land of Judah, that it would become a devastated place without an inhabitant, an object of astonishment etc. In chapter 25 these same themes pertaining to the land are again emphasized The opening verses 8 and 9 simply state that the instrument for this destruction and for the surrounding nations would be Nebuchadnezzer and as consequence of the people being exiled and in servitude for seventy years then the land too would be desolate for seventy years.

The focus of all of the seventy year texts without exception is on the desolation of the land and then its the exile and servitude of the people. The other interpretation of the seventy years being that of servitude to Babylon alone is impossible and simply ignores what the texts and the prophetic books clearly and emphatically state.

scholar JW

• AlanF
    AlanF

Jeffro, isn't obvious that you're arguing with something like a lobotomized monkey?

I mean, this moron can read a simple text that says, "these nations will serve Babylon 70 years", and claim that the text has nothing to do with Babylon!

But of course, this isn't mere intellectual stupidity at work. It's a far more insidious thing -- moral stupidity. Moral stupidity results in things like looking at a black Bible and claiming that it's green, when the Watchtower Society declares that it's green. Arguments have no effect on people braindead enough to buy into such nonsense.

AlanF

• scholar
    scholar

Alan F

Chief basketweaver

Your talk of intellectual and moral stupidity is a bit rich when it comes from a person who used to believe these things and is now a self professed agnostic/atheist. Best you take a long hard look at yourself.

scholar JW

• AlanF
    AlanF

Like I said, scholar pretendus, you're in no more position to judge your moral and intellectual superiors than the lobotomized monkeys you imitate.

Anyone who can read a simple sentence that says "X is Y" and deny that it says "X is Y" is by definition the equivalent of a lobotomized monkey. You don't have to be a Christian believer to see that. In fact, all of the Christian believers on this thread understand that you're the equivalent of a lobotomized monkey.

AlanF

• scholar
    scholar

Alan F

Chief Basketweaver

Whenever a person loses a argument or cannot prove one's beliefs then the practice of insults, name calling etc is carried out with spite and vindictiveness. You are simply cannot help yourself because this subject has been running for some time and despite all that has been said, wiley poztates cannot refute the simple basic fact that the seventy years is clearly identified by Scripture as a period of desolation, exile and servitude and it cannot by any means be interpreted as wholly a period of servitude. Game, set and match.

scholar JW

• AlanF
    AlanF

scholar pretendus, you make my point perfectly:

: Yada yada yada . . . Game, set and match.

As many have pointed out, you're exactly like the legless, armless Black Knight in Monty Python and the Holy Grail, too stupid and proud to recognize his helplessness in the face of superior force.

When someone believes that 70 = 90, there's no help for him.

AlanF

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

and a real scholar would not try and argue against absolutely overwhelming evidence against 607 BCE -THERE ARE NONE AS BLIND AS THOSE THAT DO NOT WANT TO SEE

Isnt the Society wonderful -- la la la la la ?

• hillary_step
    hillary_step

Scholar,

Whenever a person loses a argument or cannot prove one's beliefs then the practice of insults, name calling etc is carried out with spite and vindictiveness.

Now, this is a statement typical of many made by Jehovah's Witnesses who live in a world of cultural dissonance and cannot understand that describing someone as a lobotomized monkey pales into insignificance as an insult when compared to the doctrines of the WTS.

For example, you may pretend to be innocent of uttering such comments yourself Neil but I noted that you actually took pride in calling Marjorie, who has never uttered a disrespectful word to you, a 'false Christian' and one whom God will shortly execute together with her family, because she does not follow the same doctrines as your good self.

Of course, in your blinkered, cultish world, it would never enter your mind that this is one of the most disgusting insults one could possible throw at a person who is trying hard to live a Christian life. I also noted that Marjorie countered your doctrinal lunacy with no insults, just compelling facts and a grasp of her subject which you might do well to learn from.

You may not be a lobotomized monkey Neil, but you are certainly a hypocrite.

HS

• Narkissos
    Narkissos

The 30+ pages of this thread are here to show that every single point scholar has tried to raise has been completely refuted.

One thing nobody challenged afaik is his ability to proclaim victory over a heap of ruins. This is morally pathetic but esthetically amusing. I was thinking of Saddam's minister of information (what was this great guy's name again?) -- but AlanF's Black Knight is even better.

Good night scholar.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit