Daniel's Prophecy, 605 BCE or 624 BCE?

by Little Bo Peep 763 Replies latest watchtower bible

• scholar
    scholar

toreador

1. The preponderance of evidence does not point to any date for it needs to be interpreted according to conventional methodology. If other methods are used then a different chronology could be constructed with different results. The position is at the moment that with such cumulative evidence, the precise date for the fall of Jerusalem cannot be precisely dated- 586?,587? 586/587? 588?

2. does not Jehovah say in his word that he will make the wisdom of the world foolish and that he grants wisdom to his loyal ones. The scholars of the world are blinded by the arch deceiver, Satan the Devil.

3. Salvation does not depend upon a chronology or any date. Frederick Franz was the greatest Bible scholar that has ever lived.

4. Seek the true God Jehovah, do His will and associate with his people and study his word of truth and you will be saved.

scholar JW

• toreador
    toreador
    toreador

1. The preponderance of evidence does not point to any date for it needs to be interpreted according to conventional methodology. If other methods are used then a different chronology could be constructed with different results. The position is at the moment that with such cumulative evidence, the precise date for the fall of Jerusalem cannot be precisely dated- 586?,587? 586/587? 588?

2. does not Jehovah say in his word that he will make the wisdom of the world foolish and that he grants wisdom to his loyal ones. The scholars of the world are blinded by the arch deceiver, Satan the Devil.

So what do we do with the OTHER nonscholars of the world who have come up with wrong dates and interpretations as have the WTS. How do we know who to follow?

3. Salvation does not depend upon a chronology or any date. Frederick Franz was the greatest Bible scholar that has ever lived.

If your statement is true, that our salvation does not depend on chronology, then why must we accept it to associate with the witnesses?

4. Seek the true God Jehovah, do His will and associate with his people and study his word of truth and you will be saved.

scholar JW

What do I do if I cant agree with some of what the GB says and for that reason they dont want me to associate with his people? What are you saying his word of truth is? What the WTS prints or what the bible says? thanks, Tor

• EvilForce
    EvilForce

UGH Franz?!? Come on! I can post lists and lists of what he "got wrong". Can anyone say 1975? Yes that was Franz Scholar don't try and duck it.

• hillary_step
    hillary_step

Scholar,

Such technical errors were made possible by the inability for such poztates to present all the facts whence they were making such dogmatic statements concerning Jeremiah 29:10.

I guess this is about the closest thing that we will ever get from you that stinks of a retraction from your untenable position. You are a very proud man Neil, and as you must believe, 'pride comes before the fall'.

The fact is that you have been unable to prove the position of the WTS throughout this thread. You have been unable to defend its chronology either from a secular or biblical perspective. You have been unable to match your knowledge of the subject with others on this thread.

As I predicted close to the beginning of this thread, you have backed off and now throw on the table the 'faith' card. This you have done before when cornered. Your final defense goes like this : 'apostates' could never understand the 'brilliant' theology of the WTS, or appreciate the bible because they are 'apostates'. The mother of all ad hominem's.

What you fail to understand, a fatal mistake made by the WTS in its own line of reasoning, is that the many of its critics are far more knowledgable than they. Wrap yourself up in your cult for as long as you wish. Lick your wounds and pray, but remember, the light still shines if you hide your eyes.

Sorry Neil, you get the headline award yet again : "Knocked Out Boxer Claims Victory'.

HS

• scholar
    scholar

hilary_step

Obviously, as one of those wiley poztates you will not use your clear thinking faculties but would rather believe the lie then the plain staements of God's Word concerning chronology. Frankly, I care not one wit as to whether I have proved or disproved biblical or the other secular chronology. The only reason I post on this board is simply to defend WT chronology from that of the poztates and higher critics, my purpose is not to convince or convert anyone to our viewpoint because the simple fact of the matter is that people love the lie and hate the truth. I feel very sorry for you because you have become ensalved to the cult of Jonsson and his evil slave class.

scholar JW

• Narkissos
    Narkissos
    The only reason I post on this board is simply to defend WT chronology from that of the poztates and higher critics

You've sure been good at that.

No dumb servant to a great cause...

• scholar
    scholar

toreador

1. What do we do with other scholars who have a differenrt viewpoint? The preaching work world wide serves to educate all peoples with Bible education. The Bible is the only guide for truth and that is the sole basis of our chronology.

2. We accept our chronology because it is part of the pattern of healthful words and form a integral part in understanding Bible prophecy.

3. It is not a matter of what the GB says or does not say. What is important is what God's Word says and obey it even if we may not fully understand a matter. If some subject is puzzling tthen we should study, research and pray about the matter and wait upon Jehovah to adjust matters. Thus one can belong to united, loving congragation under the direction of Christ Jesus carriying out God's Will during these perilous times. The truth is in God's Word and WT publications are merely aids in understanding the Divine Plan so the sincere person benefits greatly by all this spiritual food.

scholar JW

• ozziepost
    ozziepost
    2. We accept our chronology because it is part of the pattern of healthful words and form a integral part in understanding Bible prophecy.

But how do you get the "pattern"?

• AlanF
    AlanF

As usual, scholar pretendus not only plays the fool, but is the fool.

In his usual moronic fashion, he replies to Leolaia's studied response:

: Such technical errors were made possible by the inability for such poztates to present all the facts

Wrong. Enough facts were presented by quoting Jenni and others that it was totally unnecessary to post full scans or full texts of the material. When that was done, nothing changed. As usual, you lie by misrepresenting facts.

: whence they were making such dogmatic statements concerning Jeremiah 29:10

This is gibberish English. Why, scholar pretendus, do you continue lying about getting a Master's Degree? No reputable institution would grant a degree to someone with such outlandishly poor language skills.

: It is you that continue to make bold assertions without facts to support such assertions.

LOL! Your posts are study in that.

: Now, you grudgingly admit that technically speaking, the translation le is possible only if one disregards the grammatical context and look only at what lexicons permit.

This is among the most stupid assertions you've made in this thread. No one has denied that "the translation le is possible only if one disregards the grammatical context and look only at what lexicons permit." Posters have been saying this throughout this thread. Your implication that Leolaia's statement is the very first time anyone has said this is an outright lie -- so typical of your pathological love of lying to support your Mommy.

What you stubbornly refuse to admit is that a possible translation made only by dumbly referring to lexicons is not necessarily the correct translation. This is because words often have many flavors of meaning, and therefore context must determine which flavor or flavors are appropriate.

: This is dishonest and rather meaningless.

LOL!

: The facts is that le can have a locative meaning in this context

No, it cannot. Many posters have already proved this in various ways. I will repeat my own argument -- which you have not even attempted to refute -- which proves that the translation "at Babylon" results in a contradiction in various Watchtower claims. Obviously, contradictory claims cannot all be correct.

The context of Jer. 29:10 clearly states that when the 70 years were completed (what the 70 years mean is irrelevant to this argument) Jehovah would fulfill his promise to the Jews and bring them back to Jerusalem. Obviously, once the Jews left Babylon, the 70 years had to be over -- otherwise, Jehovah's word would not be fulfilled to the letter. When the Jews left Babylon in 538 or 537 B.C., it took them at least four months to return to Babylon. But the Watchtower Society and you claim that the 70 years did not end until the Jews were back in Jerusalem -- some four months after they left Babylon. This contradicts the prophecy that the 70 years would already be completed when the Jews left Babylon, and means the Watchtower teaches that the 70 years were still running for four months after the Jews were no longer "at Babylon". By your own claimed standards, since Watchtower teaching contradicts the Bible, it cannot be correct. Therefore, by the Watchtower's own teaching that the 70 years ended when the Jews returned to Jerusalem, the translation "at Babylon" in the NWT at Jer. 29:10 is wrong.

: and you have not cited any rule of grammar that prevents le being translated 'at' in this case.

It has been explained to you a number of times now that no Grammar Dictator determines rules of grammar in any language. So-called rules of grammar are merely generalizations made by scholars of the way people actually speak. What was a rule of grammar in 15th-century English might not be now, and today there are rules of English grammar that violate the rules of 500 years ago.

Jenni's scholarship shows that the use of "le" in Jeremiah 29:10 is extremely unlikely, given its usage in all other Hebrew sources he has explored. It is the opinion of scholars as to what rules of grammar are in living and dead languages. Period.

You can cite no scholars who support the NWT rendering here. All modern scholars who have been asked to render an opinion support a translation like "for Babylon". The NWT simply has no modern scholarly support.

: the preoposition le has a wide semantic range and does possess a locative meaning.

So what? The word "metal" has a wide semantic range, too. Suppose I say, "I like metal." What range of meanings could this possibly have? Taken alone, it could mean a number of things. Only in a larger context can the precise meaning be determined. And that, as I've shown, is precisely why, by the Watchtower's own claims, a locative meaning is impossible here -- Watchtower teaching contradicts a locative meaning.

: The immediate context favors the locative sense over the instrumental because the expression for Babylon would indicate that the seventy years belong to Babylon.

Immediate context favors no such thing, as various posters have proved. And since the Watchtower's own teaching requires rejecting "at Babylon", no objection to "for Babylon" can be raised.

: Conversely, the the scriptures indicate quite plainly that the seventy years belong to Judah, the land, people alone and not to Babylon.

Absolute rubbish. You continue to ignore the words of Jeremiah 25:11, 12. The words are clear: many nations would serve Babylon during a period of 70 years; when the 70 years were complete, those nations would no longer serve. Judah and its people were just one of those many nations.

And of course, you continue to ignore the simple fact that 2 Chronicles 36:20 clearly states that the Jews no longer served Babylon once the Persian royalty -- i.e., Cyrus and company -- came to power. Thus, the Jews no longer served Babylon after 539 B.C.

Furthemore, you've entirely ignored the fact that there is no solid way to pick 537 over 538 B.C. as the year when the Jews returned to Judea. Most modern scholars favor 538, and the only reason the Watchtower picks 537 is that it can't have 607 and therefore 1914 without it. This is special pleading of the worst kind.

: The simple fact is that there is no justification in saying that the NWT is wrong in this instant and that it is impossible to say that the phrase cannot be rendered locatively.

The simple fact is that you're demonstrably wrong, and you know it. Since you know it, you're a liar.

Your penchant for lying is proved further by the following false claims:

: Greek lexicography currently asserts that stauros means stake

Lexicons also show that "stauros" came to mean cross by the time of Christ. The fact that you refuse to admit it simply proves your scholastic dishonesty.

: and parousia means presence

All lexicons show that "parousia" has a variety of meanings, including "presence, coming, arrival, advent" and so forth. A careful perusal of the works of Josephus shows that Josephus used the word in the latter three senses about 85% of the time. To deny this is to deny reality.

: and so the position of the WT scholars on these matters remains vindicated

What their refusal to admit reality shows is that they're grossly intellectually dishonest -- just like you, scholar pretendus.

: despite the best efforts of poztates to rewrite the lexica.

Yet another gross and deliberate lie. The only one in this thread to misrepresent lexicons is you. This is easy to demonstrate, as Leolaia has done. On the other hand, you can't cite even one example where a "poztate" has misrepresented any lexicon.

As usual, scholar pretendus, your post consists largely of demonstrable and deliberate falsehoods. I continue to be astounded that someone with such massive pride in a claim to be Christian can so cavalierly engage in such massive lying.

AlanF

• hillary_step
    hillary_step

Scholar,

Obviously, as one of those wiley poztates you will not use your clear thinking faculties but would rather believe the lie then the plain staements of God's Word concerning chronology. Frankly, I care not one wit as to whether I have proved or disproved biblical or the other secular chronology. The only reason I post on this board is simply to defend WT chronology from that of the poztates and higher critics, my purpose is not to convince or convert anyone to our viewpoint because the simple fact of the matter is that people love the lie and hate the truth. I feel very sorry for you because you have become ensalved to the cult of Jonsson and his evil slave class.

What you write above is a clear indication of your moral bankrupcty and frankly of your staggering stupidity. You have finally admitted that the facts of this issue are of no interest to you and that your only real agenda is to protect the interests of the slut of Brooklyn whom you share your theological bed with, and this, regardless of the rights and wrongs of the situation. I think that it is clear that you have failed to convince any 'wiley poztates' of either your grasp of this subject, or the credibiity of the WTS position on this matter. Ironically, you have probably convinced numerous 'lurking' Jehovah's Witness who were once defenders of the the WTS to now think very deeply about the veracity of the WTS chronology and its claim to be the only group of true Christians on the planet. HS

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit