Daniel's Prophecy, 605 BCE or 624 BCE?

by Little Bo Peep 763 Replies latest watchtower bible

• AlanF
    AlanF

Let me add other summarizing nails to scholar pretendus' scholarly coffin:

We've discussed the meaning of Zechariah 7:1-5 at length, where the prophet writes about the Jews' wondering if they should continue to hold a fast that we all agree (everyone but scholar pretendus because the text says so; scholar pretendus because the Society says so in the still-current Paradise Restored book) was still being held in 518 B.C. Now, if the fast that the Jews asked should be continued -- one that God specifically said had lasted for 70 years up to that point -- was still being held at the end of a period of 70 years, it's obvious that the period in question started 70 years earlier, i.e., in 587 B.C. if you count inclusively. But scholar pretendus rejects both the clear statement of the Bible text, and more importantly for him, the Watchtower Society's clear statement in the Paradise Restored book that the fast was continuing to be held for 70 years in 518 B.C., preferring instead to claim that this 70-year period was actually one that lasted 90 years, and that -- apparently by the usual JW-style Orwellian doublethink -- the period the Society flat out accepts ended in 518 B.C. really ended in 537 B.C. So we find that this moron rejects not only the Bible itself, but the Society's clear teaching. Why? Because if he accepts these clear facts, he must reject the entire (and obviously self-contradictory) body of Watchtower chronology.

Another point: It's evident that, despite vigorous protests over the years that no one can possibly know the identity of the New World Translation translation committee members, scholar pretendus now admits that Fred Franz was THE translator. So we wiley old apostates seem to have gotten through that thick skull on at least one count.

AlanF

• toreador
    toreador
    Another point: It's evident that, despite vigorous protests over the years that no one can possibly know the identity of the New World Translation translation committee members, scholar pretendus now admits that Fred Franz was THE translator. So we wiley old apostates seem to have gotten through that thick skull on at least one count.

AlanF

Dont be so sure, I suspect Scholar will backtrack again on that one.

Tor

• AlanF
    AlanF

toreador said:

: Dont be so sure, I suspect Scholar will backtrack again on that one.

I don't see how the idiot could. If Franz wasn't the NWT translator, then scholar pretendus has no reason at all to adore him so. After all, officially no one outside Bethel knows what writing Franz did, or even what he did, outside of being the VP and then the President of WTB&TS of PA for many years. So how could scholar pretendus then claim that Franz was the greatest Bible scholar? I suspect that his JW friend and mentor there in OZ told him that Franz was indeed the NWT translator.

AlanF

• hillary_step
    hillary_step

Alanf,

I don't see how the idiot could. If Franz wasn't the NWT translator, then scholar pretendus has no reason at all to adore him so. After all, officially no one outside Bethel knows what writing Franz did, or even what he did, outside of being the VP and then the President of WTB&TS of PA for many years. So how could scholar pretendus then claim that Franz was the greatest Bible scholar? I suspect that his JW friend and mentor there in OZ told him that Franz was indeed the NWT translator.

Yes, he clearly shot himself in the hoof with that faux-pas. Not sure how the pantomime will survive with a three-legged horse hobbling its way to Paradise, but then again, I have no faith so what do I know.

HS

• scholar
    scholar

Alan F

Zechariah 7:1-5 simply indicates that there was already a period of fasting that continued right up to the 4th year of Darius. This period of fasting began after the Fall of Jerusalem in 607 and continued as a tradition right up to the present as the 4th year of Darius. Obviously, this tradition of annual fastingt continued past the seventy year which was the solemnization of that annual tradition so the question was only logical to ask as to how long they should continue this annual practice of fasting.

The evidence is quite clear that the seventy years period must have already expired otherwise it could not have been seventy years so then this period ran from 607 until 537 which was a period of annual mournings and fastings.

My comment on the scholarly status of Frederick William Franz is simply my personal opinion and is not meant to imply that he was a member of the NWT C ommittee because it is impossible to know the said identity of that commitee. Franz was an accomplished writer, researcher and scholar, responsible for much of our literature published in his lifetime so on that basis alone his stature is assured alone, independent of any speculative involvement with the foresaid NWT Committee.

scholar JW

• hillary_step
    hillary_step

Scholar,

Franz was an accomplished writer, researcher and scholar, responsible for much of our literature published in his lifetime so on that basis alone his stature is assured alone.

How would you know this?

HS

• toreador
    toreador

I reckon you and Sir Hillary will make short work of that attempt tho as Sir Hillary has so aptly done already as Scholar continues to dig himself deeper and deeper.

I do appreciate your attemps to answer my questions Scholar. You wrote:

3. Salvation does not depend upon a chronology or any date.

If this statement of yours is true then the GB has got themselves in deep trouble with God as they force JW's to accept this date or such ones are treated as dead. How do you think God feels about this if your statement is true?

Tor

• EvilForce
    EvilForce

I've read all 32 pages of this painful thread. I have learned more about Babalonian history, regnal, chronological...blah..blah...blah than I care to. I'm not a bible scholar nor a history major...but I am one smart cookie. From where I sit Scholar you have gotten your arse handed to you. Your arguments have been weak, cloudy, and deceptive IMHO. Scholar you say the WTBS is correct and everyone else is wrong on this. You tell me I can trust the WTBS on secular matters like this. I'm supposed to trust this same outfit that once told us that aluminium cookware was hazzardous to our health and would kill us. That vaccinations were a "pus and hadn't saved a single life". That space travel was mere fantasy and impossible. That the human body "fed" on blood and all sorts of medical nonsense. This list can go on and on. The WTBS track record on secular matters is awful. So I'm now supposed to trust them over 100's of other experts that disagree with them? I think not!
    The WTBS is the only major group that needs 607 to be "fact". This is the WTBS core tenant that must hold together. Other religions do not live or die by subscribing to 587 or 607. Only the Dub's HAVE to use 607, otherwise their reason for being is nullified. It's in their vested interest to keep up this charade.
    Since the Dub's are the ONLY true religion you would like to think that their core tenant would be historically accurate and easy to verify. Why trust an organization that can't clearly substaniate history? Jesus us told us to examine all things. I've examined this and know 607 is NOT right.
    Step back for a moment Scholar and look how silly your arguments look.
    Respectfully,
    EvilForce

• scholar
    scholar

Alan F

Chief Basketweaver

As usual. the basketweaver not only plays the fool but IS the fool. In his usual moronic fashion, he replies to scholar's studied response and is compelled continually to address scholar's superior scholarship.

As usual, the wiley poxtates are compelled to address the facts but continually refuse to present all the facts. I have for some time urged Jenni's supporters to present Jenni's original article on le in regard to Jeremiah 3:17. There is little point in sourcing Jenni for support unless his seminal article is discussed. Interestingly, in this verse namely Jeremiah 3:17, the NWT uses le in a locative sense.. So, poztates do not always present all of the facts but use some facts rather selectively.

It is Jonsson that first made dogmatic statements concerning the impossibility of le meaning at in Jeremiah 29:10 and in some desperation he finds comfort in Jenni's book on Prepositions.But Jenni and no other Hebrew scholar can demonstate on lexical and grammatical grounds that it is impossible for le to have a locative meaning in Jeremiah 19:10. The grammatical context of this verse clearly permits a locative sense for le because there is no grammatical rule or convention that excludes such a usage and the lexica material certainly give le a locative meaning. The context clearly proves that the seventy yeras are not of Babylon but are of Judah because the fulfillment of the word namely the fulfillment of the seventy years is linked not to Babylon but to the return to that place, Jerusalem in Judah.

In short, verse 10 is describing the promise that after seventy years of exile, the people would return back home and is not about servitude to Babylon which is not mentioned in this verse which merely says that Babylon was a place of exile. Nothing more and nothing less than this.Your argument of so-called contradiction is rendered meaningless by the simple fact that verse 10 is about the return linked to the fulfillment of the seventy years. It is only when they were at their place that the seventy years was thus fulfilled according to Jehovah's word through Jeremiah.

Rule of grammar are essential for any translator if such a person widhes to produce a literal translation which of course was the objective of the NWT. Jenni may be of the opinion that le in Jeremiah 29:10 is unlikely to be locative but he does not say that it is impossible, so it is simply his opinion. The traditional rendering of this verse according to the versions and the King James Bible presents the locative meaning and this exceded by far what the moderns present as many modern Bible lean to more simpler readings and are not concerned with literalness of meaning as does the NWT.

Both the immediate context, the book of Jeremiah and the other principal seventy year texts clearly affirm not the instrumental meaning 'for' but the locative meaning 'at' because the clear and simple fact is that the seventy years belong to Judah and not to Babylon. Jeremiah 25:11 says that these nations including Judah would serve Babylon for seventy years and the land of Judah would also be a desolated land for seventy years. This text clearly proves my formulaic expression 70 years=EXILE+SERVITUDE+DESOLATION.

Secular history indicates that those nations did not serve Babylon exactly seventy years but Judah clearly did in accordance to that prophecies of Jeremiah.

Wiley poztaes in their desperation to repudiate the pattern of healthful words wish to rewrite Greek Lexicons by ignoring the primary meanings of words such as parousia and stauros, and rather focus on much later secondary meanings. Such an assumed hermeneutic violates the progress of Greek Lexicography and demonstrates their failure to hold to the original meanings of words. Afterall, is not the purpose of textual criticism to get back to the original form or text and relies very much on lexicography.

scholar JW

• scholar
    scholar

hilary_step

How do I know this? I am sorry, that is my secret. Have you ever heard of Revelation?

scholar JW

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit