Daniel's Prophecy, 605 BCE or 624 BCE?

by Little Bo Peep 763 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Midget-Sasquatch
    Midget-Sasquatch

As I'm completely ignorant on biblical hebrew or greek, I can't add anything new and substantial to this thread. But I do want to say to scholar:

One side has shown many detailed examples ( I could somewhat follow it so very nicely done!), of similar constructions to the one in question, right from the bible, and they are always non-static or non-locative.

The notion that a language is as highly "fluid" in their constructions as you'd like us to accept, seems very impractical to me as one who's bilingual. Insisting on a particular translation, even if grammatically allowable, usually would get me nowhere. Whereas going with the most commonly used meanings will almost always make me get the point.

To me at least, you've only made repeated assertions (and the bit of support you've offered, like the LXX, turns out to not really do so). I'm still open minded though, if you have more biblical examples to support your stance please do so - (please also show the contructs in detail like the other side).

Thanks all

• toreador
    toreador

C'mon Scholar. I have asked repeatedly. Can you clarify your statement below and answer my question please. You never did answer my question Scholar so I restate it.

You wrote:

3. Salvation does not depend upon a chronology or any date.

If this statement of yours is true then the GB has got themselves in deep trouble with God as they force JW's to accept this date or such ones are treated as dead. How do you think God feels about this if your statement is true? Tor

• Leolaia
    Leolaia
    The translation of le in Jeremiah 29:10 is no major issur of translation as poztates demand

It is hardly an issue of translation, as there is general agreement among scholars and translators on its rendering. The only reason why it is a subject for dispute in this thread is because the WTS has adopted a rendering that is extremely unlikely, and you have tried repeatedly (and failed repeatedly) to take Jonsson to task for pointing out this simple fact. It is an improbable translation, one that the WTS prefers in the face of extensive evidence favoring the non-locative rendering. You have refused to explain this evidence, much less provide evidence supporting the static locative rendering in the grammatical context of Jeremiah 29:10. The best you can do is say that the grammatical context does not matter. Of course, this is completely untrue.

because their whole hypothesis rides on a correct or precise meaning for this preposition which is impossible.

Actually, the whole Watchtower hypothesis rides on how the preposition is rendered in Jeremiah 29:10. That's the issue isn't it? That is why you are here defending a most improbable rendering, because without it the whole Watchtower understanding of the seventy years (and the chronology supported by it) collapses. The Bible would thus be referring to Babylon's 70 years, not Judah's. But this is unthinkable for you, and thus you must hold on to the weakest, most improbable rendering because anything else would be theologically unacceptable for you.

All that we have is a simple peposition which has a wide semantic range and there are no grammatical rules which directly determine which English equivalent should be used.

A blatant distortion of the facts. No mention at all of the actual evidence that the phrasing in Jeremiah 29:10 represents a discernable construction in which the preposition ALWAYS links the time duration to the possessor or experiencer of the duration. One can characterize that as a rule if one likes, but such a descriptive rule merely formalizes the corpus evidence discussed herein and is thus secondary to it (like any other constructed rule, like Cowell's Rule for that matter). You, of course, refuse to deal with any of this evidence.

Jenni's opinions, Narkissos's and yours count for nothing because Hebrew has too much fluidity causing any such claimed precision to simply evaporate.

False, every language has rules and operates according to rules (generative rules, not descriptive rules constructed from texts)....what causes fluidity and variability is interaction between rules, as well as the violable and probablistic nature of rules. You refuse to recognize the probablistic nature of rules....it is all or nothing to you. But what may seem like a linguistic chaos or fluidity over all the uses of the preposition le in all its linguistic contexts, is actually quite predictable and rule-governed when you examine each grammatical context individually. If you just look at your lexicon and see the wide range of meanings attributed to le, you are faced with a dazzling array of different nuances and senses (e.g. "according to", "toward", "for" "belonging to"), that you might wonder how anyone could make sense of this and understand which sense is meant at any given time. It is easy....it all depends on the linguistic context. Sure, there are often ambiguities in certain grammatical contexts.....but Jeremiah 29:10 is not one of these!! For the umpteenth time, ALL the examples of the construction in this verse have the same non-locative meaning. The NWT even translates them as non-locatives. But strangely, it suddenly renders Jeremiah 29:10 differently. Why? What makes Jeremiah 29:10 so special? Answer: The WTS has a preconceived theological reason to not translate le in most appropriate way.

the traditional locative 'at' favoured by the King James Bible attests well to 'at Babylon' in Jeremiah 29:10

The KJV was influenced by the Latin Vulgate, and reproduces the error of fourth-century translator Jerome. It does not carry much weight compared to the sense of the Hebrew original.

In this case it is the subjective opinion of the translator that transcends the of those who have an agenda, a hostility towards the NWT.

The WTS has a painfully obvious agenda...to shore up 607 BCE. Most other translations which do not express a locative here, do you seriously think they have an agenda along the lines of, "Ah, Jeremiah 29:10, we've gotta use 'for' instead of 'at' here, because we're hostile against the WTS, and we must do what we need to do in our translation to discredit it".

Rolf Furuli has already shown that the LXX with the Dative has a locative sense and in early times in the LXX the Dative case was a locative case anyway. Role Furuli is a formidable international scholar in Semitic studies and is well qualified in presenting the view that NWT is correct in the transaltion of this verse. You are not a scholar of these languages as Furuli is and I would rather take advice form my learned friend than yourself and Jenni.

Oh, what a classic "Appeal to Authority"....never mind what the linguistic facts are here.

See http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/10/90425/1520064/post.ashx#1520064 for my prior discussion of this. The "most natural" sense of the Greek dative is most definitely not "at" as Furuli claimed, and I would love to see you try to show otherwise. It would revolutionize Greek studies, as well as rewrite lexica as you put it. At most, the only locative sense of the plain dative is a remote Dative of Sphere....otherwise you need the preposition en, as the LXX renders Jeremiah 29:22.

Your nonsense about stauros is simply mischief making, a case made upon those facts that you selectively choose in order to support your thesis.

You have no shame....what a ridiculously malicious lie that is. It was the very fact that the WTS themselves selectively refused to tell the facts that I even researched this in the first place, and I left the WTS primarily because of their dishonesty.

The facts are that Jesus died according not to Roman custom but to Jewish custom which required a stake and that is what the eyewitnesses saw. If it was a cross then the appropriate word would if in fact it existed. Luke in Acts uses the word xulon which also means a stake or piece of wood co this confirms that Jesus was impaled on a simple stake.

The Romans crucified and tortured Jesus, not the Jews. There is nothing in Jewish law that forbade the cross having two beams rather than one. The Jews did not practice crucifixion except during the Hasomonean era. As for xulon, I already discussed this in my essay. Naturally, you deal with none of my arguments.

All that you have done is buried yourself in Roman and pagan Christian literature regarding later traditions concerning the manner of Jesus' death.

Another lie. My argument about stauros is based on Greek and Latin sources on crucifixion itself, not Jesus' death per se.

The cross was a pagan symbol long before the First Century so it wouls have been impossible for such a sacred act to have been impaled on such a pagan symbol.

This is not a historical argument, and much less any argument that stauros did not mean "cross".

• scholar
    scholar

Alan F

You truly are a boofhead.

The seventy years was a period of desolation beginning and ending in or at Jerusalem according to all of the relevant texts. During this seventy years period of desolation of the land, the exiles were in Babylon and continued to serve Babylon not only for 70 years but for a period of seven times according to Daniel. The text at Jeremiah 29:10 was simply an oracle pertaining to the anticipated fufillment of the seventy years addressed to the exiles in or at Babylon. QED

scholar JW

• hillary_step
    hillary_step

Scholar,

Rolf Furuli has already shown that the LXX with the Dative has a locative sense and in early times in the LXX the Dative case was a locative case anyway. Role Furuli is a formidable international scholar in Semitic studies and is well qualified in presenting the view that NWT is correct in the transaltion of this verse. You are not a scholar of these languages as Furuli is and I would rather take advice form my learned friend than yourself and Jenni.

He is also a member of your cult, but at least is one honest enough to admit a bias in the translation of the NWT. Now all he has to do is to follow the path of logic that he presents in his "The Role of Theology and Bias in Bible Translation" and recognize that the WTS translation of Jeremiah 29:10 actually determines this unique doctrine, and is therefore a matter of bias. These doctrines have been reverse engineered from a conclusion, that is why no other scholar, either secular or Biblical agrees with this doctrine - it is the doctrine of cult, not theology.

However you try to intimidate Leolaia by your rudeness about her thesis, she outclasses you Neil in scholarly aptitude, critical thinking, intellectual honesty and above all adherence to ethical principles.

You might do well to take stock of yourself as a professed Christian and emulate her good teaching methods. On the other hand, picking the theological nose of your puppet-master might well be all you can manage at the moment. Time will tell.

HS

PS - A handful of posters have taken part in this thread, but this thread has been accessed over fifteen thousand times. JW's from around the world read this board, and have seen then best that the WTS can offer as an apologist. Can you put a minus on your field service report?

• scholar
    scholar

Leolaia

Certainly true that the rendering of this preposition is of little importance to scholars but to apostates it is becuse their whole hypothesis hangs on the translation of this preposition. How stupid!!! Whether it our use of the locative is improbable or unlikely is a matter of opinion and I for one do not agree with your dogmatism. I have provided cogent reasons why the locative is permissible and completely agrees with the semantic concept, if it violates a rule then quote the rule from a reputable grammar.

No, our whole hypothesis has never rested on the translation of this preposition for right from the days of Russell up to the present the NWT rendering of this verse has not been discussed in our literature as a specific point of issue. Right up to the fifties, WT scholars used all other translations in support of our chronology including those Bibles that would have had varied readings for Jeremiah 29:10.

What is unthinkable and blatantly dishonest of you is to say that the seventy year texts are of Babylons, they are not but of Judah alone. Babylon was simply a place of exile, the cause of the exile and the ruling world power of the day. That is theologically defensible not the alternative which simply beds you down with the higher critic, sceptic and poztate.

Your so called discernible construction is simply meaningless and has no relevance in syntax. If there is such a werstwhile construction then refer to a Hebrew syntax manual for proof. The grammatical construction fits quite comfortably with a locative in this instance, if not then prove otherwise. You quote Colwell's rule and this has been largely discredited and is simply a description of patterns which is of limited vakue to the translator because as Colwell admitted, the context is the determinant.

You can huff and puff about the linguistic context of Jeremiah 29:10 but until you provide a definite rule of grammar or syntax, you are simply shooting the breeze. All that you are doing is impressing poor deluded souls who have read your nonsense. You have to give hard and fast liguistical facts or write a decent thesis and have it published in a jpournal if you are so know it all. I repeat, Hebrew prepositions admit to much fluidity but the traditional renderings favour a locative sense.

Wt scholars do not depend on Jeremiah 29: 10 to support 607 as there are other principal texts that support our chronology but it is a very good instrument and as we have it then we use it forcefully in shaming the apostates.

Yes it is not what other scholars are saying about the NWT and Jeremiah 29:10 for they have nothing to say about it, it is unimportant to them . It is only Jonsson who first raised the issue in his original treatise and based his hypothesis on this matter. This whole controversy was not caused by us but by dopey apostaes namely Carl Jonsson, he is the fly in the ointment, not I .

No you do not like Rolf Furuli but the fact is that he is professional semitic scholar as well as a professional linguist of which you are neither and nor is Carl Jonsson. If you have a dispute about the dative and the LXX then why do not write to him and plead your case. All that Furuli has said is that the LXX has the dative form, the most natural meaning is 'at Babylon'.

Jesus was put to death in accordance with Jewish custom by Roman authority and under Jewish Law a criminal was simply hung on a stake and this is confirmed by Luke by the use of an equivalent word, xulon. There is no evidence that Jesus was hung on anything else but a simple stake as many authorities in Christendom, the Gospel eyewitnesses, lexicography confirms.

scholar JW

• EvilForce
    EvilForce

Ah...so now we are back tracking on Jer. 29:10 eh? Unbelievable.

• scholar
    scholar

hilary-step

Furuli is a Witness apologist but is also a academically qualified scholar who is qualified to publish an opinion. All scholars have their own theological viewpoint and some may even belong to a cult or sect. The majority are from one of Christendoms religions or Judaism so all scholars indeed admit to some bias. So what. It is up to the intelligent reader to make his own decisions on these matters and such a person should read widely in order to reduce the influence of such inherent bias.

Obviously you have a bias against me because I seek to defend Wt theology and chronology, nothing I can say will diminish that bias and hatred towards me. Leolaia has the same agenda and seeks to advance her own ideas, not willing to be open minded on those matters in which we cannot be dogmatic. Her thesis on the cross is sheer nonsense because she has an agenda in trying to deconstruct certain evidence and promote other evidence which she claims support her purpose. Anyone can write a thesis to prove a point but if it ignores primary materials and souces then it is of little value. This is not honest or ethical. For starters, if Leolaia wants to be considered as an academic then she should act as one. She should identify herself and state her academic qualifications if she is fair dinkum.

Leolaia! Come out of the closet and stop hiding!!!!!

scholar JW

• AlanF
    AlanF

You are truly a fucking moron, scholar pretendus.

: The seventy years was a period of desolation beginning and ending in or at Jerusalem

This contradicts your claim that the 70 years ended while the Jews were AT BABYLON.

You can't have it both ways, you fucking idiot.

: according to all of the relevant texts.

Proved false about 1000 times.

: During this seventy years period of desolation of the land,

No text supports this claim. You have not cited any that do.

: the exiles were in Babylon and continued to serve Babylon not only for 70 years but for a period of seven times according to Daniel.

Nothing but an outmoded and often falsified interpretation borrowed from the Adventists.

: The text at Jeremiah 29:10 was simply an oracle pertaining to the anticipated fufillment of the seventy years addressed to the exiles in or at Babylon. QED

Pure gibberish.

You persist in claiming contradictory things. No wonder you're so confused.

AlanF

• EvilForce
    EvilForce

Jesus Christ! For a scholar your English sucks.

(H)hilary-step (COMMA)

Furuli is a Witness apologist but is also a (AN) academically qualified scholar who is qualified to publish an opinion. All scholars have their own theological viewpoint and some may even belong to a cult or sect. The majority are from one of Christendoms (TRY 'S) religions or Judaism so all scholars indeed admit to some bias. So what.( ? NOT . ) It is up to the intelligent reader to make his (THEIR) own decisions on these matters and (AS SUCH ) should read widely in order to reduce the influence of such inherent bias.

Obviously you have a bias against me because I seek to defend Wt theology and chronology, ( TRY ; ) nothing I can ................... For starters, if Leolaia wants to be considered as an academic then she should act as one. She should identify herself and state her academic qualifications if she is fair dinkum.

I don't think you have presented YOUR qualifications my dear boy.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit