Quotes website receives "Cease & Desist"

by Quotes 286 Replies latest members private

• Valis
    Valis
    Of course, that's not how they treated you, but since when are we not "bigger men" than the Watchtower?

so much for standing one's ground.."Compromise" gives them even more impetus to shut down other sites. Just my 2 cents.

Sincerely,

District Overbeer

• AlmostAtheist
    AlmostAtheist
    Of course, that's not how they treated you, but since when are we not "bigger men" than the Watchtower?

so much for standing one's ground.."Compromise" gives them even more impetus to shut down other sites. Just my 2 cents

Point taken. But their aim was to shut the site down. Rather than give them what they want, give them what they are perhaps legally entitled to. Or fight it out. But the expense of fighting will be great for Quotes and next to nothing for them. If in the end, they have to pay Quotes legal expenses, it's still just a drop in the bucket for them. If they don't, then it's a heck of a bill. And all for nothing if he could've simply made the changes to start with.

Compromise isn't a bad thing. JW's always use that word like it meant to buckle under, but compromise is what makes the world go 'round.

Dave

• Scully
    Scully

Do mah ever-lovin eyes deceive me???

Is that the same Shane Brady LL.B who received an award of $1500 from the Canadian Bar Association last summer for his so-called pro bono Charitable Work? in helping secure the rights of mature minors to make decisions in their own medical care in refusing blood transfusions according to their beliefs as Jehovah's Witnesses?

http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/11/79351/1.ashx

Is that same Shane Brady LL.B now retained by the Watchtower Bible & Tract Society of Canada to protect their copyrights?

Is Shane Brady LL.B walking on a very delicate line of conflict of interest?

decisions.... decisions....

• TonyT
    TonyT

Is this the same publishing company that was forced change the artwork in one of copies of the watchtower before bound volume publication, after a liquor company objected to the use of its "borrowed" tropical sunset artwork?

• z
    z

*** g84 8/22 p. 28 From Our Readers ***

?. The Catholic Church occupies a very significant position in the world and claims to be the way of salvation for hundreds of millions of people. Any organization that assumes that position should be willing to submit to scrutiny and criticism. All who criticize have the obligation to be truthful in presenting the facts and fair and objective in assessing such. In both respects we try to live up to that obligation.?ED.

sure the do? nop

• Sunnygal41
    Sunnygal41
    One more thing regarding the name Watchtower:
    'The name "Watchtower" is internationally associated with the religious literature published by Jehovah's Witnesses.'

Sneaky. More specifically, they should be concerned with the WORD "watchtower." Many domain names have been fought over concerning the use of words and names. Generally, and in the majority of cases, a word that can be found in the dictionary cannot be trademarked or disputed in internet domain name usage. The word "watchtower" is also associated with castles and Jimi Hendrix. Bottom line is, the word exists in the dictionary and is not associated with religious publishing in ANY dictionary.

Absolutely my thoughts, also............the use of watchtower is more common than we think.........that has to count for something.......

Terri of the "don't know much about legal mumbo jumbo, but I gots common sense" class

• Valis
  • Sunnygal41
    Sunnygal41

LMAO@Valis' cartoon!!!

• seattleniceguy
    seattleniceguy

I think Dave has a good point. In any case, the logo needs to be changed, and perhaps some of the images and longer articles need to come down. We're not trying to run an illegal operation here, though, so it shouldn't be a problem to comply with actual Fair Use laws. It's only an issue because the WT is being unreasonable in trying to silence the entire site. Why not offer to remove the legitimately offending material? I think it shows goodwill on our part, in case this actually does need to go to court.

SNG

• Valis
    Valis
    We're not trying to run an illegal operation here, though, so it shouldn't be a problem to comply with actual Fair Use laws.

What about selling whole books for outrageous profits? There is tons of stuff about JWs on Ebay and you don't see the WT going after them. What if it was and APOSTATE selling them and highlighting all the stuff in their books then selling them online? Maybe that is what needs to happen.

Sincerely,

District Overbeer

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit