What "CAUSES" a molested child to hurt? (Warning: Possible Triggers)

by gumby 195 Replies latest watchtower child-abuse

• Abaddon
    Abaddon

I think Lady Lee's reply to people being offended by gumby asking the questions he did was great;

Many researchers have asked this question. And I think it is valid. Is our reaction to the event causing more of a trauma than the event itself?

For a start, sexual abuse lumps together as 'paedophilia' only in newspaper headlines and easy terms of reference. In most cases there's a clear difference between paedophiles (attracted to preadolescents) and hebephiles (attracted to teenagers).

There are very few cultures (historically) where a preadolsecent would be raised with the expectation of sexual activity with adults. The body isn't ready for adult sexual activity (although children will have their own cultural equivalent of doctoirs and nurses and probaly always have). Thus an adult breaking this rightful taboo is harming the child mentally (as they are not culturally prepared for it and will be aware of something wrong at some level) and quite possibly physically too. I've been out with a girl who was infertle because of abuse.

However, once puberty starts, things are less clear. Different cultures have different expectations.

It would be 'normal' in certain periods for a fourteen year-old to be married, and as that was the way they were raised their feeling of abuse would not be there; they'd expect as a growing gurl to have the marriage of their culture when their contemporaries did, just as little girls dream of a wedding when they are all growed-up. It's just NOW growed-up means 18+ really, not 14.

If we think of our own culture, than we all likely have what would today be called paedophiles in our family tree. People got married earlier, even quite recently. Don't forget that age of consent in many US states has only moved to 16 or 18 (from as low as 12) in the last few decades. When Jerry Lee Lewis came to England with his 14 year-old wife ift caused an uproar... no one thought anything of it in the USA at the time.

Society has moved from a point where the age-of-consent was about the age of sexual maturity (I emphasize BIOLOGICAL maturity as in menstration and the production of sperm, not emotional maturity or reaching full growth) to a point where age-of-consent is about the giving of INFORMED consent.

This is very important for many reasons, sexual equality being one of them (if women were still expected to be married and having babies at 14 then the inequality in society would be worse than it is).

Thus, in answer to the question raised, a preadolescent is harmed because they are not enculturated for adult sexual activity (outside of the most perverted homes), they are not biologically ready for sexual activity, and the instincts that go with that biological readiness are not online yet.

An adolescent is harmed if they are put in situation where there is not free informed consent (and free implies absence of peer pressure or any other pressure) , and the age they're ready to do that will vary between individuals and countries.

Thus there are situations where our reaction CAN in cases make the situation worse. I have seen someone (an adult female) go from being completely happy about a sexual encounter to the opposite end of the spectrum because of other people's reactions to it, and I don't see why an adolescent would not be similarly influenced. Sometimes that influence is right (as in the victim didn't realise their trust if nothing else was being abused), other times that influence is harmful.

• cruzanheart
    cruzanheart

(((((Morph))))) Welcome to the board! I am so very sorry for what happened to you and I'm very glad you found this board because there is a lot of good information here and people who really REALLY understand what you have been through.

May you find peace, my friend, and realize you are not alone.

Hugs,

Nina

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

One note here from me.

Although many people here have described forms of abouse that is physically traumatic many abusers don't start with that. Especially for some very young victims the "game" starts with touch and later there is a steady progression of behaviors that may or may not lead to penetration. That doesn't mean that because there is no violent penetration that the harm is any less. The betrayal of trust, the need for secrecy, the abuse of power is still there and still has a huge impact on the victim.

and Min - for some kids the "game" starts so young that they really don't "know" until much later

• Big Tex
    Big Tex

Abaddon, you make excellent points as usual. What I appreciate the most, is your ability to differentiate between children (pre-adolosecent) and adolescent (teenagers).

LL, it is often about the betrayal of trust. Whether pain is involved or not, it is not only a boundary crossing, it is a betrayal of the innocent trust children place in the parent/adult. I think this is true of all abuse cases, but especially in which the child is manipulated, i.e. "playing a game".

Morph, bless your heart. I know how you feel. I still wash and wipe my hands several times a day. I started therapy when I was about your age. It was the toughest thing I ever did, but it helped me begin to solve some huge problems. It didn't change what happened to me, but it changed how I felt about it. I hope you would consider seeking out someone trained in working with adult survivors. In the meantime, just know that there are a lot of people on this board who know and understand.

Chris

• gumby
    gumby

Morph,

{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{hugs}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}]

I am so sorry to hear you have suffered and are STILL suffering. This is quite something for you to open up like this on your first post...but you couldn't have picked a better spot to share it. You are among many friends here. A great big welcome to you.

Gumby

• talesin
    talesin

W E L C O M E !

MorpheuzX

have to brush my teeth over and over again. I know it sounds crazy.

You most emphatically sound sane. A normal reaction to the trauma.

I have found it affects my eating a lot. If I can't get rid of a particular taste or smell. Believe it or not, potato chips seem to be the one thing I can always eat.

Folk here have been discussing the topic for the purpose of enlightenment. Although the subject matter is challenging, the intent of all, imo, is to share information.

Thanks for contributing. Sounds like things are kinda rough for you right now.

take care of yourself

talesin

repeat: {{{{thread}}}}

• RubyTuesday
    RubyTuesday

Be careful of who you share with here.I believe there are sexual preditors that visit this site.Someone kept pming me wanting to know the details of my nieces molest.When I refused to give graphic details he no longer wanted to talk to me.I also have picked up on things other posters have said.

• xenawarrior
    xenawarrior
    Someone kept pming me wanting to know the details of my nieces molest.When I refused to give graphic details he no longer wanted to talk to me.

Ruby- did you report this to a moderator or to Simon so it could be dealt with appropriately?

• gumby
    gumby
    Be careful of who you share with here.

On an open forum? How would you weed out the predator from reading your post?

Gumby

• Frannie Banannie
    Frannie Banannie
    yet the trauma from a child molested........is 20 times greater than the trauma from a kid who had been caught stealing. Why is there such a great difference?

The child can atone and apologize for the theft, but NO ONE can make up for the invasion of the very heart of a child. It is one of the greatest betrayals of trust there can be.

During the year that the movie "Lolita" first came out, I heard grownups making terrible comments about the girl in the movie. Also, during that year, I was being pursued in the local movie theater by a teenager who kept attempting to molest me. I was trained at home adamantly to never make a scene in any way about anything, so I sat there and quietly struggled with the teenager to keep him from accomplishing his agenda. One day, my stepfather came down the aisle and saw what was happening, as he sought me and my sisters out to take us home. He never commented on it and instead of his realizing what was really happening, and that I was struggling very hard to keep the guy hands off me, my stepfather decided I was allowing what was happening. So he began molesting me. The molestation was accompanied by threats that if I told my Mother or anyone else, my stepfather would tell her that I had initiated the sexual activity. My only experiences in this area were such that my Mother always took my stepfather's side in matters of discipline. I guess he blabbed to his brothers, because I was soon fighting off my uncles, a cousin's husband and a brother-in-law. This went on for 9 yrs. until I got married and left home.

For all my growing up years, I would stand in front of a mirror for long periods of time and examine myself to try to discover how I was flawed....what was in my face or eyes that all these men saw that made them do these things to me. It took most of my adulthood for me to realize that I wasn't the one that was flawed, but the damage to my self-esteem was great.

Does this help you to understand it, Gumby?

Frannie B

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit