What "CAUSES" a molested child to hurt? (Warning: Possible Triggers)

by gumby 195 Replies latest watchtower child-abuse

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

yes tal That betrayal of trust becomes huge. If a child cannot trust those he or she is dependant on for food and clothes and a home and life even then the ability to trust anyone is seriously damaged.

If a child is robbed they most often still have family to support them and help them through it.

Many children who disclose abuse are often betrayed not only by the abuser but also by the family who may not believe them, blame them, or just want to pretend it will not happen again. These kids are doubly betrayed.

• lisaBObeesa
    lisaBObeesa

Lady Lee said:

Kids around the age of 6 - 7 begine to be extremely private about their bodies. So someone touching them crosses those boundaries and they are keenly aware of it.

This is true. I know because someone attempted to molest me just at that age. I was in first grade. I had never been warned about molesters, never taught about sex by that age, and certainly never told any part of my body was 'dirty.' Yet, I somehow knew it was wrong what he was trying to do...and I had to get away (he was trying to trick me with a 'game' and was acting like it was perfectly ok and normal...). I also knew I 'had' to hide this incident, or the molester, someone I loved very much, would get into big trouble. He did not tell me this. So how could I 'know' this?? I don't know. I just 'knew'...even though I didn't even know really what he was trying to do or anything. And this one short experience has affected me my whole life in many little ways (and one or two big ways.) Quite traumatic. I can't imagine if it had been worse...

Wow. I never told anyone this.

But I just felt I had to share this because my expierence does not agree with what you are saying, Gumby. ( if I understand you right.)

-LisaBOBeesa

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

Thanks for sharing that Lisa

You might be surprised by how innocently we teach young children that certain parts of their bodies are not to be touched. Even as infants when we are changing their diapers we push their hands away as they begin to explore their bodies. That sends a pretty clear message that no one touches that part of their body. We are sending a negative message about their bodies without ever realizing it. Little boys touch and pull and we tell them "Don't." Again a pretty clear message and it is repeated over and over again perhaps hundreds of times. and that is way before the age of 6 or 7

But by that time (6-7) a child becomes more aware of their bodies and they begin to have some awareness of sex (even though at this age it is something yucky). I would think the impact of moving out into the world (school and activities) has an impact on how they see themselves as individuals separate and apart from the family and from the primary caretaker. (Although this doesn't address daycare kids). But mentally children around this age are moving into a new phase of their development and with it come some of those awarenesses

• talesin
    talesin

Another point ...

The actual acts have little bearing on the intensity of the trauma.

Each child is different and copes in his/her own unique way.

It is important to NEVER say, "oh, you were just ....."

The severity of the abuse is in how it affects the child, not in the act(s) performed. ie, how the child internalizes the abuse.

(not to discredit those who have had continued, severe abuse - this is horrendous and imo, TORTURE)

This is why it is sooooooooooooo important to 'listen to the children'.

talesin

Lee, did you SEE that Linden McIntyre on fifth estate - I swear his life's mission is to discredit CA survivors - he also did an hour's special abt 10 yrs ago - proclaiming that FMS is a reality and wide-spread - GRRRRRRRRR!!!!! I smell a 'personal' agenda, he creeps me out! He doesn't wanna meet me in a dark alley!

Okay, rant finished - he just makes MY BLOOD BOIL! oops, put it away, sheesh

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

OMG tal no I didn't see that - my blood would be boiling too

• Country Girl
    Country Girl

This is a very hard subject to post about. When I read your post, I started reading around. I've had to revise it lots of times, both to account for how I feel, how others feel, and how difficult this subject is to discuss without getting heated. This is what I found:

It seems, according to this author, that alot of it has to do with what is culturally acceptable: the norm. In some countries, young girls are married off at 9 years old or so. They are taught starting when they can walk household duties, marital duties, and the raising of children. For them, this is quite natural and normal. It is based in traditional roles for females and males, with the expectation of raising a family and surviving in the near future. Because it is widely accepted as the cultural tradition, no one thinks twice about it. Also, life expectancies are not as long, so everything is moved up a bit.

For an interesting read on childhood sexuality, and the health, or the distortion of, read:

http://www.books-reborn.org/yates/sex/SexWithoutShame.pdf

While some societies are very unhibited sexually, including the children, our society (meaning industrialized nations), on the whole, seem to be very inhibited, and this cultural "norm" is reflected in our attitudes about childhood sexuality, and parenting. These attitudes are picked up by our children, and any sexuality is bad sexuality, and brings feelings of shame and disgust. Since we view sexuality between an adult and a child as wrong, so does the child feel violated and shamed. As can be seen in the above article, children born into the Inis Beag culture (an island off the coast of Ireland) are taught that:

• Infant nudity was abhorred by the islanders. The bodies of infants were always covered when in view of siblings and outsiders. Infants had their bodies sponged once a week, and from early childhood onwards their parents washed only their faces, necks, lower arms, hands, lower legs and feet. Breast feeding was uncommon because of the sexual connotations. By late infancy verbal affection replaced the affection of physical touching. Children were never allowed to see anyone naked. People slept in their underwear and clothes were changed only in secrecy, often under the bedcovers. Even nudity of pets in heat caused anxiety and dogs were whipped for licking their genitals.

Conversely, the Maori culture, on the island of Mangaia:

• "infants are special people, rocked and indulged by all family members. Bare genitals are playfully or casually stimulated and lingual manipulation of the tiny penis is common." (Someone would be put away for life for this in OUR culture!) "Privacy is unknown, as each hut contains five to sixteen family members of all ages. Adolescent daughters often receive lovers at night and parents 'bump together' so that young children may be awakened by the slapping sound of moist genitals. Although adults rarely talk to children about sex, erotic wit and innuendoes are common.
    • "At the age of three or four, children band together and explore the mysteries of the dense tropical bush....Sex play flourishes in the undergrowth and coital activity may begin at any time. Children also learn about sex from one another and "young girls also learn from elderly women who teach by telling stories and by direct practical instruction. The young boy is taught at puberty by older males. He is coached in techniques such as the kissing and sucking of breasts. He is told about lubrication and trained in methods of bringing his partner to climax several times prior to his own ejaculation."

So.. there are different cultural attitudes regarding sexual matters all around the world, which will result in the child either feeling shame, or accepting it as a natural way of life. Our particular culture just happens to view sex between adults (meaning 18 and over) and children (meaning 18 and under) as wrong, because of cultural or religious attitudes. The bad comes from the shame AND fear that it visits upon the child.

Since our culture feels this way, it is quite normal that the child would experience shame, at any sexual touch. Because our bodies are biologically driven, a positive response to the touch would be very much in the bounds of normal, with the child's feeling shame at having responded positively to the touch. However, I would guess since our culture has such abhorrence of such practices, that to enthusiastically prosecute pedophiles would be one of the ways a child's sense of security and trust could be re-established, along with extra emotional support and counseling.

CG

P.S. As I have read further into the article, it's scary some of this author's notions of incest and abuse. But the part about different cultures was pretty interesting!

• talesin
  • Country Girl
    Country Girl

woops

CG

• bisous
    bisous

Gumby, *sigh*

I have enjoyed reading your posts and your humour since I've been here. Thus the sigh as I tell you that this thread and your line of questioning has really bothered me. In fact, bothered doesn't begin to describe the emotion you have nicked in me. Well, not you, but your post. And some of the responses. Let me describe my reaction as a cross between tearful and nauseous.

As a victim of abuse from the age of 6 or 7, I have a personal response to your question. But first I have to say that to me, it is offensive to even postulate on the topic. It diminishes the pain of my experience, as if somehow it is society's fault for stifled upbringing or prudish mores. That the abuse wouldn't have been abuse if the victim hadn't been taught such? Sounds like some of NAMBLA's reasoning.

Bullshit.

Now, my personal response. No one taught me my private parts were dirty. At that age (and time, early to mid 60s) no one had yet had the birds and bees speech with me either. But until then, no one had come into my room in the middle of the night and grappled around under the covers either. And scurried out the moment I woke up. Or leaned down peering 1st to see if I was awake. Because the activity was conducted in such secrecy, it evoked a secret response. I assumed since it happened like this, it was to be covered up, that the perpetrator didn't want to be discovered. At 1st I would pretend to be asleep, I was afraid of what the reaction and consequences would be if I woke up and the perpetrator was confronted. Over time, when I couldn't feign sleep, I was then told to shhh, just checking to see if you're okay. And from then on lived in fear of every night.

How this experience plays into your questions, Gumby, and the pondering here, I don't know.

I can't figure out WHY the trauma is SO GREAT from a child who has been molested......compared to a kid who was involved in stealing. In both cases the act is taught as WRONG......yet the trauma from a child molested........is 20 times greater than the trauma from a kid who had been caught stealing. Why is there such a great difference?

And I am dumbfounded by your question regarding why the impact from stealing is any different than sexual abuse. Utterly speechless that anyone would have to ask. Especially here, with all of the information presented on this topic.

Beyond that, I do have to tell you that for someone with my experience, this is a hurtful thread. I do know that that probably wasn't the intent. But it is the result just the same.

There are many people on this site with the same, if not worse, experiences than me. Please realize that this is more than just an 'intellectual exercise'.

• czarofmischief
    czarofmischief

The intent, I think, was not to hurt. I think gumby was just asking a question to try to understand an experience that many posters haven't had - being abused. By putting it into a hypothetical context (what if we were Maori?) he is trying to relate to your experience.

But, the truth is, we aren't Maori - and we only have the rather salacious comments of one observor to vouch for what they get up to on their little island. The tone of the article was rather predatory, and unnecessarily oily; "slapping sound of moist genitals?" Come on. The man is writing fantasy - his own pedophile fantasy.

Anyway, sex is patently something that only mature people should engage in - besides the mental and emotional trauma, it is risky in terms of disease. Abuse victims sometimes contract venereal disease; how messed up is that? A young girl can't cope with being pregnant, who is this adult to decide that she is ready to meet his foul needs for power?

Abuse is just that, a misuse of power. It's like playing full-contact football with a toddler - the kid is going to get hurt every time!

CZAR

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit