What "CAUSES" a molested child to hurt? (Warning: Possible Triggers)

by gumby 195 Replies latest watchtower child-abuse

• bisous
    bisous

It's true that no child wants this touch. But all children want to feel loved by their parent(s). And in some instances, molestation is the replacement act for acts of parental love. And sometimes children feel that this participation is the only act that will earn this parental love. And as you get older, (say 10-12 instead of 5-7), precocious acts may develop on the part of the child in order to maintain that *loving* relationship. Especially if physical pain isn't involved.

It is all very stomach-turning and mind-bending. And very easily differentiated from feelings associated with other childhood misdeeds, such as small acts of lying, petty theft (stealing candy if you like) or others.

(BTex), my nausea from this thread topic pales in comparison to my gut-wrenching reaction to your story. I wasn't aware of your background. My heart aches for you, LadyLee, even myself ... as examples of the walking wounded, victim to heinous acts on the part of our (supposed) protectors. heartfelt love to you all.

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

Gumby I for one am not upset you asked the question. It is one that has been studied (mostly by anthropologists) and I think it is valid. How else are we to dispel the myths except by asking the hard questions?

That being said I totally understand why some people are upset with this topic. My heart goes out to them. It ain't easy.

Hopefully my answers and some of the others who have responded have helped to dispel the myth - at least here.

Please anyone - if you have a doubt about asking a question in here regarding sexual abuse and are concerned about triggering others -- please feel free to PM me or others first.

I'm only one person but I will try to anwer the question as best I can. I don't want to stifle questions. But sometimes and some subjects are really hard for people to handle. You have to remember too that many victims have received the message that they are somehow at fault.

For those who have been hurt by the questions posted here - please take your time and take a break if you need it. Go do something nice for yourself.

If you want come back and try to read some of the answers people have posted about why we react to this horrendous act - even if our bodies responded. It is an invasion. A huge one on someone ill equipped to understand or deal with it. No wonder sometimes it takes a lifetime to deal with it.

• Big Tex
    Big Tex
    An adult was using what he knew against you. Just one more betrayal. But you had a normal healthy body. It was doing what it should do when touched certain ways. it wasn't your choice to BE touched that way.

Lee I want to return your words back to you. The same, if not more, applies to you. For better or worse, the human body doe respond to certain stimuli. But a child does not know that, and many adults are not fully aware of the impact of that statement either.

(((XW))) You are a sweetie, and you know how I feel about you. It's okay, and I would never post something that I could not handle someone knowing.

But one reason I said what I did, is for those who cannot post about their experiences. A child who is assaulted by an adult is never at fault. Anyone who says otherwise is selling something.

Chris

• xenawarrior
    xenawarrior

Chris- I know. It just breaks my heart each time I read it. I would give anything to make it so it never happened to you.

((((((((((Lee))))))))))))) ((((((((Bisous)))))))))

XW

• bisous
    bisous
    A child who is assaulted by an adult is never at fault.

And the assault doesn't have to mean physical pain. And it doesn't matter if the *shame* was taught, learned or predisposed. The fact that a child was forced to feel discomfited by an adult's selfish greed is enough.....

• Big Tex
    Big Tex

bisous I think you make a really good point. Behavior in a child that others may look at as seductive or sexual in nature may really be learned as the only way to gain the parents' attention and/or approval. There are a lot of variables involved though. A great example is found in Donald D'Haene's book "Father's Touch". Some could look at his abuse (like the JWs) and think he didn't protest enough or "asked for it" and yet my heart broke for him being put in an impossible situation of a natural desire for a father's approval and affection balanced with the disgust, shame and anger at being used and abused.

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

I remember when I was a kid people saying that they would not go to the police because they didn't want their child to have to tell what happened in a courtroom full of people. The suggestion was that being in the courtroom was worse than the abuse itself

Some people also seemed to think if you never talked about what happened it would go away - forgotten forever - boy do we wish it would go away. But it doesn't.

Other people minimized it by saying "At least it wasn't....)

And they seemed to think if you warned kids about "funny" Uncle Bill (and yes I actually had a funny Uncle Bill) that whatever happened wasn't too serious. Like we didn't walk away bleeding (although some of us did)

I know we were also warned about "the stranger with candy". No one ever said exactly what the stranger with candy would do to us but we knew it had to be something really really bad because no one would even say what it was.

Some of us saw or heard people whispering about things done to so-and-so, hushed tomes, down-cast looks.

All these things contribute to our feelings about abuse. And that is before we are ever abused.

And then when it happens all our nightmares become real. The boogeyman in the closet or under the bed is the man in the next room that we call Daddy and there is no escape. We are totally trapped and totally at his mercy.

I remember being 7 and wanting to run away from home but I knew I would never survive out there on my own. So I stayed and that too made me feel guilty because if I really hated it I would leave - right?

Not a lot of options here for a little kid. Guilt for everything and no control

Shall I add the toxic guilt someone else mentioned. Abusers are great at refusing to take responsibility for their actions. They place the blame for everything on others. The abused child is no different. My father would come to me wanting sex and say "Look at what you did to me. Now you have to take care of it." To a child this can be a scary thing. In my child mind I thought of balloons. When they get bigger they explode. Conclusion was that if I didn't "take care of it" it would explode and he would die. Then I would have that guilt on me too.

I'll be honest here - I believed that until I was 35 years old and had been married for 15 years. My ex used that line on me too. But since I had never asked about my balloon theory I still believed it would explode.

I finally got up the nerve to ask someone about it and was told it just goes away. At 35 years old I was shocked and had to take a week to think about it. My final conclusion was that since priests don't have sex (I know I know but bear with me) since priests don't have sex you never see one walking down the street and it explodes or you never read about it in the papers. Therefore the exploding balloon theory was wrong. But how could a child know this? How the heck does a child come up with such a theory.

Well in the absence of information a child (like most of us) will create a belief based on what they do know. And in their minds it will be true until proven false. I look 20 years to get the courage to ask someone about my balloon theory.

So not only do we get messages from the people around us but we get them from what is said and what is not said - we get them from looks and secrets and hushed talk. We get them from out gut reactions to things that happen to us and we get them from our imaginations when all else fails.

I prefer to dispel the myths and theories.

• Valis
  • talesin
    talesin

BT

Glad you jumped on this thread. I'm sorry you're having a rough time right now. {{{Chris}}}

Gumby,

You asked a thought-provoking question, one that many would like to ask but don't have the guts. It came from a good intent, of wanting to understand how it feels.

Hopefully, this thread has helped more people understand some of the horrors of CSA. I welcomed the opportunity to reply. imho, these questions don't get asked enough.

Thanks, {Gumby}.

talesin

(of the 'adult survivor' Klass)

• xenawarrior
    xenawarrior

((((((talesin)))))))

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit