What "CAUSES" a molested child to hurt? (Warning: Possible Triggers)

by gumby 195 Replies latest watchtower child-abuse

• gumby
    gumby
    "sis, there's something I've been concerned about ... I've learned some stuff about this issue recently from friends ... it happens to so many girls, I worry that you may have been one of them ... you can *ALWAYS* talk to me about anything and I will believe you"

Tal..........I like that approach Just thinking about it however makes me wonder that if I found out my dad did something to her.........would that change my OWN LIFE as far as how I would now look back on my dad. I'm sure it would.....but if it would heal my sister,it of course would be worth my hurt.

Thanks for that nice suggestion.

I also wanted to say how totally precious(if a guy can use that word) of how BigT. and Nina have shown their love to each other through all of this and have shared this with friends. Those few posts from you two about your deep love for each other was priceless!Kinda made me all teary eyed and stuff.

Gumby

• talesin
    talesin

lyineyes

He wrote two sequels - I think the last one is called "A Man Called David" or "My Name is David".

Horrific, and added to the horror for this reader is that it took so long for anyone to do anything for the poor child.

That teacher is a true hero!!!

tal

• talesin
    talesin

gumby

Yes, I don't doubt that it would have a profound effect on you as well. You may want to think about getting a support system in place before you talk to her.

And may I say that you brought tears to MY eyes - to have a brother who loves you is a precious thing.

I think we need another one of these:

{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{thread}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}

take care,

tal

• Big Tex
    Big Tex
    If something really did happen and my sister has hid it all these years......then maybe if she could open up about it and finally tell someone..... she could be happy again

Gumby, be careful. If she was molested, and kept it hidden all these years, it may be that it's too big for her. I'm not saying don't ask, but if she's been carrying around all that shit for decades tells me it is not something she wants to get into.

There is a theory, and one I subscribe to, that says there are 3 responses to sexual abuse. One is that in an effort to deal with the feelings of fear, shame and feeling "out of control" the child identifies with the offender, and rather than face what happened, will instead turn on others. These are the people who grow up to become offenders. They are afraid of everything about the experience, so much so they cannot even acknowledge it happened. By the time they begin to offend, the person they were is oblitered and cannot be salvaged.

The second is the victim. These are the people who often receive the worst of the abuse and grow up in a victim role. These are the people who marry offenders, and without ever realizing it, recreate the abusive situation in other parts of their life (work, marriage, etc.). It is from this group that most survivors come from. A survivor is one who has reached the depths of despair and abuse, becomes so desperate they will actually seek help. It must get so bad, that they will actually break the biggest rule in an abusive family: Don't tell. It is only after they get help, that they realize it is only by telling that the cycle is broken and relief comes.

The last is the denier. This is by far the majority of abuse victims. These are the children who literally cannot handle or otherwise process the hideous experience. So they pack it away and pretend it never happened. These are the people who grow up and apply this behavior in other areas of their life. These are the people that most often become addicts or alcoholics and never understand why. They don't allow themselves to realize that raging in traffic or punching holes in a wall is really about the anger they have buried over the original abuse. They deny not only the experience, but their pain as well.

Gumby, LL is right. I wish there was a tongue of fire above a child's head so we would know for sure. There are behaviors for certain, but they are not absolute. Oftentimes we must wait for the child to come forward.

Dede, I tried to read that book, but that was one of the few times I just couldn't go on. It hit too close to home, and although it's very well written, just the unrelenting nature of what happened was just too much for me. I'm usually pretty good at keeping my inner child protected from others' stories, or from criticism, ridicule and so forth when I've spoken out, but that was one of the few times I couldn't.

Chris

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

I've read "A boy called it" as well as most other biographies about child abuse. There is a great series of books by Torey Hayden One Child and its sequel Tiger's Child, Murphy's Boy, and a couple of others.

I have always found the stories about children harder to read than the stories about adults talking about their childhoods. And I think I've read most of those - well at least the older ones. I haven't been doing a lot of reading about it lately.

I actually recommend for people who haven't done the therapy yet to NOT read the biographies. The recovery books are a better focus. There tends sometimes to be a unheathy need to compare stories. If yours wasn't "as bad" some people then minimize their own pain and then see no need to do the work. And for some it winds up triggering them making the work even harder.

tal - excellent way to put the question

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

You know I keep thinking this thread will die but so many wonderful questions and responses have come out of it - thank you Gumby

PS I too am moved by the love and support between BT and Nina

• gumby
    gumby

Thank you LL.....for ALL you have contibuted here.....as well as so many others. I think we have all been schooled a bit on the subject of molestation and it's long term effects it can have. Perhaps we will now understand each other a little more. Thanks to all.

Gumby

• talesin
    talesin

tks, ll

That is such a good point about the books - so many folks will read and think "oh, my abuse wasn't so bad".

So, to reiterate:

If you are reading this thread, thinking "I should get over it, it wasn't that bad", but you are feeling the effects of ANY type of sexual misconduct, whether it be looks, touching, intercourse, oral sex, being exposed to inappropriate pictures, WHATEVER, your feelings are valid.

Seek help, talk about it to someone you trust, read, do what YOU NEED TO DO to heal.

Lee, you do a lot of great work here. In RL, you must be one heck of a therapist.

Also, {{{BT}}}, thanks for helping me to feel safe, you really helped me out last year. You and {{{cruzan}}} are an amazing combination of intelligence, humour and soul. You inspire and give hope to many folks who read your words.

• Cheetos
    Cheetos

Are you for real, there are lots of sorces on the web and books that exsplain what it does. Ask someone who has gone through it they can telll the story.

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

Cheetos Many of the people who have responded to the thread are survivors themselves. There have been some great responses to the question.

Many people who haven't gone through this don't understand. I'm glad the question was raised and so many came forward with their stories and thoughts.

Sadly the media sometimes puts out the mistaken belief that it is the responses of people to the abuse that is more damaging and while that can have a huge impact the actual abuse itself whether touch is involved or not is a huge betrayal of trust that is damaging in its own right.

Thank you

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit