My two week consulting trip to Bethel (the beginning of the end) Part 4

by seven006 83 Replies latest jw friends

• DevonMcBride
    DevonMcBride

Dave,

I sent the links to part 1, 2, and 3 to a few friends and they are rolling over laughing. Keep up the good writing and hurry up with part 5.

Devon

• Ravyn
    Ravyn

from what I can remember from my childhood--the library is only 'secret' to the R&F. Bethelites know about it of course and are encouraged to use it (in a sort of reverse psychology way) but the average off-the-street JDub taking the tour does not get to see it. Like the way they are about the Pioneer Service School and Elder School textbooks. "For Your Eyes Only".

Ravyn

• Euphemism
    Euphemism

Well it looks like Randy has already posted it... good stuff:

http://www.freeminds.org/bethel/dave.htm

• rem
    rem

This reminds me of my first visit to bethel. I thought the visit would be a spiritual boost to me, but I was only disappointed and disgusted at some of the things I saw - and this was just on the tour!

I really started questioning if it was god's true religion when I saw how regulated bethel life was. They were using prayer as a dinner bell for crying out loud. It just really seemed like a publishing company and not god's organization. That also was the beginning of the end for me.

rem

• shotgun
    shotgun

You guys are confusing me with this beginning of the end stuff...Cleary that began in 1799....Vive la france

• nilfun
    nilfun

Wow, what a great read! Thanks, and waiting eagerly for part 5

• Victorian sky
    Victorian sky

Dave, again this is fantastic reading, can't wait for part 5. I was in a cong with many bethalites and nobody partied as hard as they did. Good memories. I'm also thankful that my dream of getting in was never realized. I was one of those sisters that had a medical skill Bethal wanted, I met the head of the infirmary, they gave me a private tour and I met one of the ol' GB (forget which one) my application was sent directly to head of the dept. I cried when I didn't get in. One of my friend's did and she told me that sisters there were popping prozac like candy. (She works on the side as well, it's no secret though, she makes triple what they would get in a month for 8 hours of work, such a shame.) So I'm relieved I didn't get in, all those rules would have suffocated me and I have a feeling I would have been kicked out 'cause I would've told people like the b**ch in the art department to go screw herself. - V Sky

• seven006
    seven006

Funkyderedk,

My spell checker has it's own sense of humor, It knows I'm dyslexic and it loves to mess with me. It takes me longer to proof what I write than it does to write it. Proofing what I write is like trying to find something in a dark room using a cigarette lighter while having blindfold on. If it wasn't for memorizing logos for things I buy at the store Id be brushing my teeth with tile grout.

Winston,

WTF, Holy shit, Jesus fricken Christ! It's all terminology that is used in a moment of religious enlightenment. It is shortly followed by the expression "What in the hell was I thinking." The truth is, it is that moment where you actually begin to think.

UpAndAtom,
    I'm happy you got something out of it. If I knew as many people were going to like it, I would have written it a long time ago. I tend to screw off playing when I get buried with work. It's a psychological glitch that I have been trying to perfect for a long time.

Devon,
    As my oldest son said to me when he was 5 years old and I just finished spiking his hair with Vaseline and drawing a mustache on him with a felt marker "I am not a toy and you're not funny."
    I was trying to teach him not to be so serious in his life. In real life I am fairly serious person and I get sick of my self. Without a sense of humor you can end up turning into a statue.

Ravyn,
    I didn't know that. Just like the R&F JW, you know very little about Bethel. Only that it is the best place to be when the fiery brim stone starts falling. They have enough booze there to last the whole thousand year reign of Christ.

rem,
    Even as a publishing company it sucks in my opinion.

Victorian sky,
    Prayer and Prozac. Yep, sounds like Bethel to me.

Dave

• shamus
    shamus

Wow. I am speechless.

• czarofmischief
    czarofmischief

Excellent.

Well done. Well written. Excellent thoughts, unebelievable experiences! Wow! Thanks for sharing, and congrats on your freedom!

CZAR

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit