My two week consulting trip to Bethel (the beginning of the end) Part 4

by seven006 83 Replies latest jw friends

• LoyalLeon
    LoyalLeon

nice description of Bethel life.

there is nothing that does not exist there.

LL

• blondie
    blondie
    I wonder if anyone has ever thought of planting a few of the old books into a few Kingdom Hall library's?

Wildhorses, actually, many of the older established congregations do have those books in their library. One of the first places I went when visiting congregations was the library to see what they had. Quite a few had Rutherford's books and the Studies in the Scriptures, usually donations from older sisters/brothers. The problem is that no one reads them and the ones who seek them out to read already are on the road to "enlightenment."

"You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink"

Blondie (tongue in cheek)

• obiwan
    obiwan

I began to be honest with myself and think for myself. I knew being disfellowshipped for talking would kill my mom and I also knew it would end my unhappy marriage. I thought about my kids and how what I knew would eventually effect them. I thought about my mom again and how I finally fulfilled her dream of having me work in the art department at Bethel. I also thought about whether I should act on what I saw or just keep my mouth shut. I thought so much all I wanted to do was stop thinking.

I think this is the toughest part when a person tries to break free from the org. You know what you can handle, it's the other people in your life that you have to worry about. The wt pray's on this, it's like being in a marriage, and your only staying in it for the kid's, not for the love. You then start to question yourself. Do I want to stay just to keep the kid's, and the wife, and the mother happy? Or, do I give my children a chance at a real life.

I for one feel for you. I think, if I were in that situation, I would have left for the kids. I can sympathize with your issue with your mother. To this day, I'm glad my mother was deceased when I was df'd. It would have broke her heart.

• Ravyn
    Ravyn

Bravo!

other than that I am speechless(not at the experience, but at your telling of it--superb writing! you can write AND illustrate the book!)

Ravyn, who has a new literary hero

• Room 215
    Room 215

seven oh oh six, fascinating; thanks. It triggers a large dose of deja vu. One aspect of the story, however, confounds me... the bit about the ``secret library." When I was there, both the older 124 library and the 107 Gilead library, had multiple copies of everything the society ever printed. I even recall folders that contained memos on the Olin Moyle and Salter affairs. Far from been off limits, Bethelites had full access to them and in fact new boys assigned to ``Primary School" for the first six months of their tenures, were required to be there from 7:00 to 10: 00 p.m. on non-meeting nights during the week.

• calamityjane
    calamityjane

Wow Dave, amazing experience, can't wait for part 5. Don't leave us hanging too long.

I love your sense of humour.

cj

• Yesterdays Child
    Yesterdays Child

Wow well written.Wonder what would happen if I left a copy for my wife. Her and mother-in -law just came back from a bethel tour.HMMMMMMM

• shotgun
    shotgun

Dave...I've been talking to Steven..........Steven Spielberg and he's ready to take on the movie... Bruce Willis has agreed to play you and they're going to use Dustin Hoffman utilizing his rainman character to play Freddy Brown Shoes.

Clint Eastwood declined playing Leo Greenlees..I think it was because of the line when he invited his new roomate to share a drink and said ''Do ya feel lucky tonight... Punk....well do ya''

Great story Dave....The library bit is not shocking I guess....There are a few congregations that I've attended which had some of that crazy shit in it their library so the place where it originated must have alot more. I wonder if you checked the basement if you would find real human skeletons.

Looking forward to Part 5

• Undecided
    Undecided

Hi Dave,

I loved the way you told the story, I knew some bethel boys back in the 50s about my age then and they fit your description of life in bethel that far back.

Ken P.

• StinkyPantz
    StinkyPantz

More! More!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit