My two week consulting trip to Bethel (the beginning of the end) Part 4

by seven006 83 Replies latest jw friends

• drwtsn32
    drwtsn32

Another awesome installment! Keep 'em coming!!

• Phantom Stranger
    Phantom Stranger

(sotto voce) Movie rights...moooovie rights...

• WildHorses
    WildHorses
    I think the average JW should see where the religion really came from and let their own judgment and logic kick in. The graphics alone on the book and magazine covers screamed the word "cult."

I wonder if anyone has ever thought of planting a few of the old books into a few Kingdom Hall library's?

I know a brother who went to Bethel. He didn't stay very long and he didn't like to talk about it. Now I wonder if he found out the truth also.

• Aztec
    Aztec

After reading all four parts I'm so very glad my young dream of going to Bethel was never realized. Thank you for taking the time to put this down Dave. Sincerely!

~Aztec

• seven006
    seven006

<<<After reading all four parts I'm so very glad my young dream of going to Bethel was never realized. Thank you for taking the time to put this down Dave. Sincerely!>>>

You're welcome, that's what I get paid the big bucks for on this forum.

Dave

• Aztec
    Aztec

Well, Dave not only do you aim to please but, you aim too please...dumb sign I saw on the back of a borg potty. *shrugs*

~Aztec

• mustang
    mustang

WOW!!!

"Dean stood up and started walking around his office. He told me that the first priority of anyone that headed up a department was their spirituality. He told me this is the way it was, always has been, and always will be. I then asked him about the million dollar Hell scanner sitting with a tarp over it. He said they had not found a brother with the spiritual and technical expertise to run it."

Ain’t it the "truth"!!!!

I’ve yet to meet anybody with the savvy to "field strip" something such as you describe, put it back together, run it through it’s paces and set it up that wasn’t a "techie" through and through.

And guess what? When you work at that level of expertise, you have to spend a lot of time getting where you are OR a lot of time playing "catch up". (The latter might be because somebody you listened to deprived you of a proper chance to get an education and credentials!!!)

And the amount of time you spend to do the "techie" end is more satisfying than pursuing false spirituality. It is also inconsistent with the 150% schedule required to maintain the "false spirituality standard" required by WTS.

And when you have gotten to the top of the heap (the hard way), you are both experienced and smart enough to see through the doctrinal loose ends the WTS expects you to gloss over. The "corruption and dead men’s bones" stick out through the whitewash a bit too plainly.

I don’t believe that it is necessarily so that "spirituality" and technical expertise are mutually exclusive. But the WTS grasp of the situation drives them to that result.

There is no doubt that they will never get a really good "tech team" assembled with their 19th century management style and requirements. I see more "outsourcing" in the WTS future...

Mustang

All that I write or utter, is protected by religious freedom under the 1st Amendment to the Constitution of the United States, as the "free exercise", as well as "freedom of speech" clauses.

• mustang
    mustang

Again, WOW!!!!

"Don't get me wrong, I don't think the society intended to have those people die childless and leave all their money to the watchtower society. I think they just screwed up on their predictions for the end of the world and the money just happened to end up in their bank accounts because the people who were told not to have any kids didn't have anyone else to give it to. It's not their fault, really, anyone can screw up predicting the end of the world, they have been doing it over and over again for centuries."

Now, some on this board will "cry foul" & shout heresy here. This goes against a prevalent myth here that the WTS "plans everything" and its minions are pernicious and malevolent to the bone ON PURPOSE.

But you are exposing the just plain stupidity and sequences of accidental circumstances that give the same results. And of course, after 120+ years, it is ingrained and inbred to the core. Really bad management doesn’t help, either.

I have heard much of these matters related from friends, relatives and acquaintances (all being "brothers" of course). I have never seen such a detailed level of recounting such experiences in writing.

You are to be congratulated for a job well done.

Mustang

BTW#1, did I miss Part 3??????

BTW#2, I think you will understand when I say that I hope you didn’t make "minstrel" servant...

All that I write or utter, is protected by religious freedom under the 1st Amendment to the Constitution of the United States, as the "free exercise", as well as "freedom of speech" clauses.

• caspian
    caspian

Gripping Read

Looking forward to the next part..

Cas

• Panda
    Panda

I enjoyed your story, especially about the Bronx where the "rocks would have to cry out". When Nick gave a talk in a Brooklyn Congregation we went out in service after the meeting. Quite the eye opener. Also found one youngster went to a Catholic school because the public schools were so bad ... so much for keeping out of Babylon the Great. We ate at the house of Bill Cosby's retired house cleaner and her husband who I think had recently passed away.

So your story of Brooklyn Bethel was great, meaningful , and well I have to admit that that secret library had a slight Sherlock-ian tone. Now that would be a great story --- ghosts and opium addicts at the secret society of pyramid stair counters OR WTB&TS.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit