Growing up a gay Jehovah's Witness (My Life Story)

by m0nk3y 263 Replies latest jw experiences

• greven
    greven

Very moving story indeed! Sad that people still have to grow up like this! Religion has done more evil than good in our society. Glad you are here!

Greven

• teenyuck
    teenyuck

{{{Josh}}} What a sad story with a happy ending.

I am glad you found the boad!

• earthdreamer
    earthdreamer

Josh,

Your story moved me very much. I am only glad that you have made it to the other side. Yes, we do grow stronger from the adversity, and you have had that. I wish you the best and I wish your relationship the best. Treasure this life as you want to live it!! Don't ever let anyone again tell you how to live.

Earthdreamer

• oldcrowwoman
    oldcrowwoman

Josh~~~~~~~~~*Hugz*

I am proud of you!!!!!!

I understood the energy in writing your story. It takes incredible strength to pull it up and to put words to the feelings. I see this as a way of healing for you~~~~ It's a way of taking care of yourself and allow others to see part of the process in coming out. We as gay people have stories to share in coming out. For me coming out is an on going process and it is for you and others.

It was Gay Pride Festival the past week-end here in Minneapolis, Minnesota. Huge turn out. There was a parade and part of the parade were two blocks of parents, families who supported their son or daughter. Called PFLAG . They received a standing ovation. And each year I cry. And touches my pain in lack of support from family. But also its impowering to see those who stand by their children.

So Josh I admire your courage and strength. And maybe by you sharing will open a door to another on this site.

All the Best, OCW (your sister) <not in a jw way!!!

• northern girl
    northern girl

Good story but do you think if your family was any other religion that they'd have treated you any different?

• Aztec
    Aztec

Josh, I really don't know what to say. Your story is very moving. I've been through depression myself and I know how hard it can be to deal with, during and after. I was raised a witness as well but now I'm the single mother and if my son was gay, I'd have no problem with it whatsoever. Bye bye mind control!

~Aztec

• smack
    smack

After reading that, all I can say is what I went through seems miniscule to what you've had to take.

Good onya sandgroper

Steve

• m0nk3y
    m0nk3y

Thank you sister. OldCrow Gay Pride is always fantastic here as well.

I'm not sure what Pride is like there but here we devote and entire month to it. It starts with Pride Fair Day which includes gay people and trangender as well as our families and children, basically every different person you could expect to meet. We all have a huge fair in one of our beautiful parks. It's just amzing how large the turn out is. You know the thing I love about Pride month the most is the last day of Pride on which we have the Parade and a huge parties everywhere. At the Parade the crowd of people that come to see the march is HUGE. Its AMAZING. Us walking down the street and getting along with everyone. I just love the feeling that everyone is one. There is no need to hide the children away at home ... all the kids are on their parents shoulders and everyone is just loving the atmosphere.

I remember one year myself and my friends were all glamoured up and I had a bubble gun and all the kids were going ape over the bubbles I was blowing out this thing. Everyone is on the side lines and chatting with all sorts of sexualities. People are actually seen for the people they are and not what they do in bed. Thats my dream for everyday of the future.

monk3y

• m0nk3y
    m0nk3y
    Good story but do you think if your family was any other religion that they'd have treated you any different?

To the purpose of my life story it wouldn't matter what religion we were, the story is about what actually happened to me.

Jehovahs Witnesses are one of the most uptight religions out there, they have a problem with everything. And with most other religions, you are allowed to associated with other people beyond your religion. You are 100% isolated within the JW community.

monk3y

• cruzanheart
    cruzanheart

Thank you so much for sharing your story, Josh, and I'm glad you've found happiness in your life! I'm sure your post will help a lot of people. You were very brave to write it. Remember something that Nietzche said: "What does not destroy us makes us strong." You are a very strong person and you know yourself inside and out now. You can see your strengths and your weaknesses and I see that you appreciate everything that you are. You are a beautiful person!

It sounds like your mom is trying to find herself too. I hope she will become closer to you in the years to come, but your happiness does not depend upon that.

Lots of hugs,

Nina

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit