Minimus

by notperfectyet 103 Replies latest members adult

• xjw_b12
    xjw_b12

Farkel. I don't agree with you on this one.

While Min's questions may seem to be annoying, or even information culling, His threads are usually innocent enough, that they draw out the lurkers, who want to post, but feel uncomfortable posting to threads of substance, until they are more confident here.

How many here, posted for their first time on a Minimus thread ?

Minimus....there is no need to defend your honour. Even if you are what you are accused of being, I couldn't give a rats ass. Carry on and remember not perfect yet is..................not perfect yet !

• minimus
    minimus

Thank you X as well as so many others for your kind words.

• Big Tex
    Big Tex

If I had been criticized as much as Minimus I would have long since tucked my tail between my legs and shuffled off this board. I've never met Minimus, but I know him. All it takes to know someone is to show a little interest in what they have to say (and not say). If you want to know him, read his posts, not his questions, but his posts.

If you're concerned that he is reporting all our answers to the Society then don't respond. I don't think it matters to him if you answer or not. Personally, I think people like Minimus are very important to a discussion board. They start threads and keep the conversation moving. People like me don't do that. I only respond. It takes all types to make a good group and I think someone with his energy and kindness is needed.

Glad to see you back Minimus.

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

OK I finally decided to take a look at this

There seems to be a lot of debate about the quality of Minimus's contribution to this board.

First: I didn't realize that there was a requirement

Secondly: Although the questions may be prolific and seemingly inane a lot of the time they do one very powerful thing

They make us think

We think about the small things of being a JW

Here is a sampling of his questions

And that was just in his first month here!!!

There really is purpose to this incessant questioning whether he realizes it or not. It is called deprogramming. Something we all need to do when we leave. And even years after leaving I bet there are still some of those questions that Min puts out that makes us go "Hmmmmm".

As JWs we did not dare ask ourselves some of these questions. We certainly didn't ask them out loud.

We were dictated to, told what to believe. The questions were asked for us and the answers provided.

If, for no other reason than Minimus makes us think about every piddly fascet of WT life, then he is a benefit to this board.

AND offers us a lot more than is quickly realized.

It might not be doctrine but doctrine ins't what hooked most of us. It was all those piddly things that hooked us and kept us there

Min may the ????? be with you

• xjw_b12
    xjw_b12

Lady Lee. Excellant Rebuttal !

I look at Mimimus as being our " Shrink ".

Shrinks don't sit there and carry on a lot of 2 way conversation. Basically they ask you questions, and let you answer, without necessarily offering opinion. They draw you out, and sometimes push buttons that draw out memories, that may have been repressed or ignored.

I think for a lot of posters here, especially the newbies, it works wonders.

xjw_b12 who has never been to a shrink, but probably should have

• minimus
    minimus

Asking questions and getting comments also is therapeutic for me! It helps us to understand how the hell we ever got to believe in this stuff. Fear is a big deal for most Witnesses. JW's are always afraid they'll do the wrong thing. It is sad to see so many that can't carry on somewhat normally because they are depressed and in fear because they are now doubters or unbelievers.

• riz
    riz

hey minimus, don't pay any attention to the few who are trying to discredit you. you have a large fan base here. don't change- you're obviously doing something right.

• shera
    shera

I like Min

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee
    I think for a lot of posters here, especially the newbies, it works wonders.

I think you might be right. There are a tremendous amount of posts on his threads. They are most of the time non-threatening. They might seem like fluff but they go a lot deeper than most people realize.

MIN

Yes it can be therapeutic.So much of our lives were controlled to the nth degree. We don't even realize how much until someone asks the question.

We NEED to question. Everything. The longer we were in the greater the need to question.

I guess some pople don't like it beciase they don't want to face some of the choices they made. But at one point we have to. You provide an opportunity to do that Min

Thank you

Lee

• Francois
    Francois

I would think that Big Tex's big post would help me get some perspective on this entire debate if I knew which person to assign what piece of information. I mean there's lots of information in that post, but no way that I personally see to determine who to apply what comment.

Can anyone help here?

I have never understood the antipathy between Farkel and Minimus. Who struck the first blow? What was the first blow? Please. Someone tell me.

Via my own intuitive instincts, Farkel is way above average in intelligence. In addition, he plays a mean piano. Not only that, be he makes his music available to any who want it. By that one characteristic alone, Farkel reveals himself to be quite like others of a certain spiritual attainment: he gives of himself even when he is certain there is no hope of recompense. In fact, that might be the only circumstance in which he is willing to give of himself. That is a very laudable characteristic, especially in this gimmie, gimmie, gimmie, selfish world.

If Minimus has given of himself or contributed in any way of himself other than to start conversations by asking questions, I've not seen it. I look at his posts. If they interest me, I respond; if they do not, I ignore them. I am certainly not going to argue about it.

Now, if someone could possibly answer my questions, above, I would really, really appreciate it.

Many Thanks,
    francois

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit