Ouija Boards

by StinkyPantz 70 Replies latest jw friends

• ApagaLaLuz
    ApagaLaLuz

After I left, I started to date a guy who claimed to be a satanist (whatever) By the way they don't actually worship Satan. But that's another topic. So I had been very curious about pagan believes, and had been experiencing "preminisions." He had a small ouji board which he refused to let me play with. He told me my curiousity was dangerous. He said that once you open yourself up to it, it's hard to close the door . again (whatever) sometimes my skeptism gets the best of me.

So I finally talked him in to playing it with me. He tried and tried to get it to move. Asked many questions. Nothing. Finally he asked it why it wouldn't work. He said "is it because I stopped talking with you?" and it moved to 'NO.' then he asks "is it because of Chevy being here?" it moved to 'YES.' I asked 'is it because of what I learned when I was young?' and the pointer kept going off the board. So my boyfriend at the time told me to take my hands off it. Then he asked the same question, and it spelled out 'LEAVE." I've tried it twice before, and each time it wouldn't work if I was touching the pointer. One of the times it just kept making a figure 8.

• Iwasyoungonce
    Iwasyoungonce

CHEVYSNTATS,

You are the first person to ever just have the the icon just go off the board. (((oh))) I am not alone any more. My Mom used to make fun of me because it did not work with me. She said that I was faking it and just moved it off myself. But I didn't. At parties my friends and classmates would be playing with it and someone would call me in and then it just slowed and stopped answering questions. They would ask are you all relgious or something? Even if I touched it alone it just moves off the board very slowly. It is the weirdist feeling to have that pulling sensation under your fingers.

Question- do you fear "demons"?

I don't never have. I also do not believe in the very concept of the invisibe jerk with a bif pitchfork wispering sweet nothings in all humans ears. We are quite capable of being evil or good all by ourselves. J.M.O.

• ApagaLaLuz
    ApagaLaLuz

Not sure about the whole Demon thing. I do believe in black magic though.

• Robdar
    Robdar

Everytime I tried to use a ouija board, the pointer would go around in circles and sometimes it would just jump off the board. I never could get it to work.

One day at a party I had been invited to, the board stated to the ones playing with it that I was going to die and told them what date. The thing that spooked me about it is that it used my real name as opposed to my stage name. None of the people at the party knew what my real name was since I only used it with the IRS and during the time I was a cop. So, they couldnt figure out who the board was talking about. I finally confessed my true name and everybody around the board got great, big, shocked eyes. They also avoided me like the plague for the rest of the party. The party, needless to say, turned out to be a big bummer for me.

I didn't die by the way...Well, I haven't yet.

We are quite capable of being evil or good all by ourselves. J.M.O.

Amen to that, Iwasyoungonce!

Robyn

Edited by - robdar on 11 December 2002 14:51:34

• Tinkerbell4125
    Tinkerbell4125

Shit, was reading this thread, the phone rang beside me and scared the crap out of me! Almost jumped out of my seat!

• nativenyr23
    nativenyr23

LYIN...LET'S DO IT! Next time there's an apostofest here in our area...i'll take one with me and we'll DOCUMENT the event!!!!!

If we do it at Val's house, we may have an "experience"....depends on the fumes and how late in the evening!!!! LOL.

• hippikon
    hippikon

Ccomme on guys - do you want to be duped or educated - read the links

Ouija board

A Ouija board is used in divination and spiritualism. The board usually has the letters of the alphabet inscribed on it, along with words such as 'yes,' 'no,' 'good-bye' and 'maybe.' A planchette (a slidable 3-legged device) or pointer of some sort is manipulated by those using the board. The users ask the board a question and together or one of them singly moves the pointer or the board until a letter is "selected" by the pointer. The selections "spell" out an answer to the question asked.

Some users believe that paranormal or supernatural forces are at work in spelling out Ouija board answers. Skeptics believe that those using the board either consciously or unconsciously select what is read. To prove this, simply try it blindfolded for some time, having an innocent bystander take notes on what letters are selected. Usually, the result will be unintelligible non-sense.

The movement of the planchette is not due to paranormal forces but to unnoticeable movements by those controlling the pointer, known as the ideomotor effect. The same kind of unnoticeable movement is at work in dowsing.

The Ouija board was first introduced to the American public in 1890 as a parlor game sold in novelty shops.

E.C. Reiche, Elijah Bond, and Charles Kennard ... created an all new alphanumeric design. They spread the letters of the alphabet in twin arcs across the middle of the board. Below the letters were the numbers one to ten. In the corners were "YES" and "NO."

Kennard called the new board Ouija (pronounced 'wE-ja) after the Egyptian word for good luck. Ouija is not really Egyptian for good luck, but since the board reportedly told him it was during a session, the name stuck.*

Kennard lost his company and it was taken over by his former foreman, William Fuld, in 1892.

One of William Fuld's first public relations gimmicks, as master of his new company, was to reinvent the history of the Ouija board. He said that he himself had invented the board and that the name Ouija was a fusion of the French word "oui" for yes, and the German "ja" for yes.*

Although Ouija boards are usually sold in the novelty or game section of stores, many people swear that there is something occult about them. For example, Susy Smith in Confessions of a Psychic (1971) claims that using a Ouija board caused her to become mentally disturbed. In Thirty Years Among the Dead (1924), American psychiatrist Dr. Carl Wickland claims that using the Ouija board "resulted in such wild insanity that commitment to asylums was necessitated." Is this what happens when amateurs try to dabble in the occult? Maybe, if they are suggestible, not very skeptical and a bit disturbed to begin with. However, even very intelligent people who have not gone insane are impressed by Ouija board sessions. They find it difficult to explain the "communication" as the ideomotor effect reflecting unconscious thoughts. One reason they find such an explanation difficult to accept is that the "communications" are sometimes very vile and unpleasant. It is more psychologically pleasing to attribute vile pronouncements to evil spirits than to admit that one among you is harboring vile thoughts. Also, some of the "communications" express fears rather than wishes, such as the fear of death, and such notions can have a very visible and significant effect on some people.

Observing powerful messages and the powerful effect of messages on impressionable people can be impressive. Yet, as experiences with facilitated communication have shown, decent people often harbor indecent thoughts of which they are unaware. And the fact that a person takes a "communication" seriously enough to have it significantly interfere with the enjoyment of life might be a sufficient reason for avoiding the Ouija board as being more than a "harmless bit of entertainment," but it is hardly a sufficient reason for concluding that the messages issue from anything but our own minds.

See related entries on the ideomotor effect, dowsing, facilitated communication and the unconscious mind.

further reading

reader comments

copyright 2002Robert Todd Carroll

larrow.gif (1051 bytes) osteopathy

Last updated 02/05/02

Ouspensky rarrow.gif (1048 bytes)

• Lost Diamond
    Lost Diamond

Donkey,

I never said the good ones do not make themselves present. Some do, I'm told. Oh, and you could keep your special powder to yourself....don't know where it's been.

• rem
    rem

Ouija Board, by Parker Brothers, makers of Boggle, Monopoly, and Trivial Pursuit. Sounds scary!

rem

• Lost Diamond
    Lost Diamond

Something else I wanted to add...I have tried it before, but on a different talking board, not the Ouija Board. It introduced itself as my spirit guide, and it told me that the Watchtower is evil. These boards amaze me!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit