Legal Department

ATTN: LLB

25 Columbia Heights

Brooklyn, NY 11201

Re: Barbara Anderson

Manchester Congregation of

Jehovah Witnesses

Dear Sir:

I am in receipt of your letter of May 9, 2002 which obviously did not answer any of my questions. I did note a couple of very important statements in your letter. First, it was noted that at the judicial committee hearing the elders must establish “by at least two or three witnesses that she (Mrs. Anderson) has committed the serious sin charged”. Mrs. Anderson was unaware of any serious sin charged except some general allegations of apostasy or contacting an apostata. No proof was presented by any witnesses this past Friday (May 10, 2002 at 3:00 p.m.) regarding the generalities of this particular charge and certainly no proof was presented regarding what J. R. Brown referred to as “other sins unrelated to the Dateline interview” which apparently brought all of this about.

Other statements that have been made by J. R. Brown to the media indicate that he had no idea who the persons were that were to appear on Dateline until just a few days before Mrs. Anderson’s day of hearing on this past Friday. This letter will advise you that we have documentation that that is an incorrect statement which we must at this point obviously assume was knowingly made. Your letter also stated that this matter would be handled by the local elders. It is our understanding that they were conducting this hearing pursuant to directions from New York. Is that true, or not?

Watchtower

Page 2

May 16, 2002

Therefore, this letter will serve as notice upon you that we feel Mrs. Anderson has been slandered by allegations that she has committed a “serious sin” unrelated to the Dateline interview. This would certainly lead anyone to believe that she committed serious personal sins against the laws of God and leaves the mind open to all sorts of rampant speculation about what an immoral person she might be. It implies that the church has certain information regarding serious sins and we absolutely deny any such allegations and would again point out that no such proof was presented at the hearing.

Therefore, we must demand from you an immediate public apology and letter of vindication to Mrs. Anderson. We expect that to be published in all AP affiliate newspapers within the next five (5) days or you stand in jeopardy of having legal action taken against you. Unfortunately this may involve local elders who have apparently been following the dictates of Watchtower and who did not initiate this judicial committee hearing contrary to Mr. Brown’s previous statements to the press indicating they were the source of the charge. Let me re-emphasize that at this time you must issue this immediate public apology and immediate letter of vindication of charges to Mrs. Anderson.

This letter will also remind you that Mrs. Anderson has not had a falling away of her faith in God nor the dictates of the Bible and she does not intend to be disfellowshipped nor to disassociate herself as such. She is most concerned about the welfare of the church and the problems that will occur unless the church’s policy with regard to the reporting of child molestation and abuse is changed so that it is in conformity with applicable laws governing criminal conduct including, but not limited to, the mandatory reporting of child abuse under Tennessee law.

By copy of this letter to the elders I am advising them of Mrs. Anderson’s position in this matter and while I chose not to attend the judicial committee meeting out of courtesy to Mrs. Anderson and to the elders, I will not stand idly by while Mrs. Anderson’s personal rights are violated and she is ostracized for following the dictates of God and the requirements of state and federal law. She feels that the church should render unto Caesar those things that are Caesar’s which specifically includes the reporting of allegations of child abuse and molestation to the appropriate legal authorities of the state.

Watchtower

Page 3

May 16, 2002

I will await your usual, prompt and courteous response to this letter and hope that you will immediately and publicly vindicate Mrs. Anderson who has been a good and loyal supporter of the church for many, many years.

Sincerely yours,

JERRE M. HOOD

JMH/dg

cc: Manchester Congregation Elders:

Dateline

Tennessean - Leon Alligood

NYP - Dan Mangan

Tullahoma News - Mary Reeves

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

Note to WT, re: lawyers. Let those who live by the sword die by the sword. Bye.

The prodigal GB's plea to their father: Dear 'hovah god, please send lawyers guns and money, the ***t has hit the fan.

• Farkel
    Farkel

I'm surprised no one picked up on this.

: 1. Disrupting the unity of the congregation.
    : 2. Undermining confidence in Jehovah’s arrangement.

If these are the exact charges, don't you see what this means? I know Barbara, and I know all she has done is speak out about the society's covering up of child rape and often expelling the victims themselves. I'm pretty darn certain the only thing they have on her is this.

What does this mean? It means that if those charges are true, then the society is saying it is "Jehovah's arrangement" to cover up child rape and punish the victims. It means that anyone trying to help the victims and punish the criminals is undermining criminal acts and and criminal cover-ups that Jehovah HIMSELF has willed.

Can those assholes in Brooklyn get any more arrogant than THAT?

Farkel

• jwsons
    jwsons

Sister Barbara Anderson,
    Our hearts are with you. I myself will pray Jehovah for you, dear.
    Love,
    jwsons

• one
    one

THIS IS IT!

Never read a letter like that before.

Someone said Anderson left the elders with their d in their hands after leaving the first meeting.

The local elders KNOW what they are facing and now they have it in writting.

Theochratic (sp?) warfare..

It is your turn WT.

This is worth my time AND fun, i think iam having a beer, TGF

WT has been cornered

• JenGill97
    JenGill97

My thoughts and prayers will be with Barbara and her family. I know this has to be a very difficult time for her. Even though I cannot support anything the JW cult teaches, I know having something you love ripped from you is not the most pleasant experience.

I just hope she understands to outcome will probably be for her own good.

:It means that if those charges are true, then the society is saying it is "Jehovah's arrangement" to cover up child rape and punish the victims. It means that anyone trying to help the victims and punish the criminals is undermining criminal acts and and criminal cover-ups that Jehovah HIMSELF has willed.:

I never thought of it this way Farkel, but you are absolutely right! If they disfellowship her, they are saying their actions in these cases were justified. PIGS!

Jen :)

Free at last,
    Free at last,
    Thank God Almighty,
    I'm Free At Last!

• silentlambs
  • JosephMalik
    JosephMalik

Anderson's attorney fires back....

Silent Lambs,

Where is the link? Why not post it in a new thread.
    Joseph

• WildHorses
    WildHorses

Barbra, I'll keep you in my prayers.

By chance, are you part of the, Able Anderson/Amundson family? My mother told me when I became a jw that we had distant relatives who were also jws so I just thought I would ask.

Lilacs

I don't want someone in my life I can live with. I want someone in my life I can't live without.
  • Athanasius
    Athanasius

Greetings,

If the elders who were selected to serve on the Judicial Committee that is trying Barbara Anderson on these trumped up charges are smart, they will resign for health or some other reason. Some of them must have the intelligence to realize that they are being set up as "fall guys" by the Watch Tower. Maybe the elders received a tape with a message similar to the one Mr. Briggs received at the start of each episode of the old MISSION IMPOSSIBLE TV series: "And remember Judical Committee Elders, if you or your team are killed or captured, the Kingdom Governing Body (KGB) will disavow any knowledge."

Our prayers are with you and your family Barbara.

Athanasius

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit