Candace Conti v. Watchtower Society - Closing Argument by WTBTS Attorney

by jwleaks 84 Replies latest watchtower child-abuse

• AnnOMaly
    AnnOMaly

Courtroom games.

MR. SCHNACK: ... However, I sincerely believe, and I put this to you, that Watchtower does not need to be punished by another monetary award.

Why is that?

Ms. Conti said she wanted to change policies. That's why she brought this suit. And we feel bad for Ms. Conti. But I can assure you, and I can assure her, that Watchtower's policies continue to evolve. And I can safely say that, with her verdict yesterday, Ms. Conti has succeeded. I encourage you to award no punitive damages in this case.

The WTS attorney was trying to avoid punitive damages by arguing that WTS policies were changing all the time. "Don't punish us. We'll be good. Ms. Conti has succeeded in making us better."

This wasn't good enough for the jury.

Now that severe punitive damages were indeed awarded, in their appeal motions the WTS attorneys contend:

"Plaintiff and her trial counsel openly and repeatedly stated to the Court and the jury that the purpose of this lawsuit in general - and the claim for punitive damages in particular - was to force Watchtower to change its alleged national "policy of secrecy." As will be demonstrated below, doing so is a completely improper and unconstitutional use of a claim for punitive damages. On that basis as well, JNOV is similarly mandated."

- P.7 http://apps.alameda.courts.ca.gov/domainweb/service?ServiceName=DomainWebService&TemplateName=jsp/imgviewer.html&rofadt=07/17/12&Action=27594149

"Now that you have punished us, we're crying 'Foul!'. We protest that the punishment was unfair, unconstitutional and without warrant."

• Scott77
    Scott77

I think, the punitive demage was necessary to teach the Watchtower the lesson that what they have done was and is immoral and that, policy change was overdue. Also, to open floodgate of more similar lawsuits as needed and possibly, to force the Watchtower to change its national policy of secrecy.

Scott77

• King Solomon
    King Solomon

Also, what does it matter that Bethelites were shocked by the verdict?. Bethelites are NOT the relevant fact finders.

It just goes to show that a sub-culture exists, and a member loses objectivity about how they come across to outsiders or those who've never known them or anyone like them. eg JWs get so used to spewing the anti-Catholic vitriol that they become immune to what they're actually saying, just like the lawyer thinks that the people who populate HIS entire World (Bethelites) make a whit of a difference to anyone else! The "Real World" ends at Bethel, it doesn't revolve AROUND it.

I have a relative who automatically launches into the same ol' tired cliches, platitudes, and tirades that's she's repeated for decades ("this WORLDLY, EVIL system of things is so corrupt!!") that any stranger who encounters her has ABSOLUTELY NO IDEA what she's ranting on about, and not surprisingly, she comes off as a lunatic! The lawyer here did the same, and it looks like they were punitively punished for it (this was a closing argument, so all the evidence for the case had already been presented to the jury; apparently the lawyer for the Society felt that it wasn't enough, and perhaps he should supply MORE ammunition for the plaintiff).

It would be interesting to compare this to the closing arguments presented by Conti's counsel: I'm guessing it comes off as more personal, moderate, reasonable. It would be interesting to see a video.

Rule #1 for trial lawyers is to NOT be a jerk! Juries LOVE to punish lawyers whom they perceive as arrogant perks.

• JW GoneBad
    JW GoneBad

WT attorney Schnack says: ‘I encourage you to award no punitive damages in this case.’

Apparently WT thinks they are the exception to Jesus Christ’s following words: ‘And if a person wants to go to court with you and get possession of your inner garment, let your outer garment also go to him;’ (Mat 5:40)

I agree with other comments; WT needs to go thru the school of hard knocks and pay the punitive damages. Paying a hefty fine will help to insure it exhausts itself from this day forward in protecting children.

• Scott77
    Scott77

"...Rule #1 for trial lawyers is to NOT be a jerk! Juries LOVE to punish lawyers whom they perceive as arrogant perks..."
    King Solomon

The great thing I love about the US 12-Jury system is that, they are picked up by random and that, they are just ordinary folks, the down-to-earth ordinary, the rank and file kind of guys and gals. Usually, their judgement is an expression of a society they represent and where they come from. I believe, some of them are parents with children and know very well how it feels.

Scott77

• The Oracle
    The Oracle

I love the fact the WT lawyers are basically admitting that their morality is lagging behind the rest of the world, and that their policies are evolving and being forced to reach higher levels.

Satan's system of things is leading the way.

Hey WT dumb dumbs - hurry up and catch up!

Evlove your policies. Listen to the voices of your Disfellowshipped members and keep evolving your policies so as not to attract scorn from Satan's system.

What a complete joke!

But, I love it.

Time to start my day....but it's been fun catching up on what's going on in the crazy world of the JWs.

So glad to be out!

The Oracle

• sir82
    sir82

So, if I'm reading this right, the closing argument was:

"Gosh darn it, don't punish us! We're trying to do better! And anyway, what we did ain't nearly as bad as them dirty ol' Catholics..."

What a wanker. Is that really the best they can come up with?

The WTS is reaping what it has sown. If you condemn higher education, you shouldn't be surprised that there aren't many sharp JW attorneys to pick from when the going gets rough.

If the WTS had half a brain, they'd fire the lot of their legal staff and retain some high-powered legal firm with a long history of defending the indefensible.

However, given that there isn't half a brain collectively in the 3 Bethel locations combined, they are likely to keep the status quo.

• King Solomon
    King Solomon

Maybe this IS a sign of the end being near, and they've decided to finally follow Jesus' crazy advice about one giving up all Earthly possessions to the poor (via losing court cases and being forced to pay massive settlements)?

• Refriedtruth
    Refriedtruth

I personally gave the Watchtower tens of thousands of dollars when I was making alotta money,

I essentially gave it all to them with absolute confidence in their PROMISES that I would NEVER need it for my old age.

My entire clan gave them everything all 3 generations.

Watchtower lawyers U do know who I am don't you?

• 00DAD
    00DAD

Candace Conti is more powerful than God!

MR. SCHNACK: Ms. Conti said she wanted to change policies. That's why she brought this suit. And we feel bad for Ms. Conti. But I can assure you, and I can assure her, that Watchtower's policies continue to evolve. And I can safely say that, with her verdict yesterday, Ms. Conti has succeeded. - Emphasis added

Wow, Ms. Conti has changed WT Policies, I thought only Jehovah could do that through his Holy Spirit!

You go girl!!!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit