Candace Conti v. Watchtower Society - Closing Argument by WTBTS Attorney

by jwleaks 84 Replies latest watchtower child-abuse

• jwleaks
    jwleaks

JANE DOE V. WATCHTOWER BIBLE AND TRACT SOCIETY OF NEW YORK, INC.

JURY TRIAL - JUNE 14, 2012 - DAY 10

CLOSING ARGUMENT BY MR. SCHNACK for WATCHTOWER BIBLE AND TRACT SOCIETY OF NEW YORK, INC.

MR. SCHNACK: Ladies and Gentlemen of the jury, the judge has instructed you that it is your choice to award or not to award punitive damages. You have been read the instruction and you have seen it there.

Does Watchtower need to be punished? The policies of Watchtower continue to evolve. You heard Monica Applewhite testify that Watchtower has published articles and educational materials for parents, for its church members starting in the 1970s and into the '80s and it continues up to the present day.

Those materials were in the forefront of educational materials for parents and for members in this regard.

Plaintiff's counsel has made a lot of the July 1, 1989 letter. Indeed, that's what he referred here to today. However, you also heard Mr. Shuster testify that that was never the last word. It wasn't the be-all end-all on policies.

So let me just briefly go through a few of the other All Bodies of Elders Letters that were in evidence before you today.

Remember the March 23, 1992 letter? Several references there that the elders in the congregation should be conscious of victims of abuse, treat them with thoroughness and kindness, that you should be tenderly compassionate to them.

It also says in that same letter:

"If a current case of child abuse comes to light in the congregation, the elders should do what they can to protect the children from further abuse. These policies are evolving as we go forward."

In evidence was the August 1, 1995 letter. There it says:

"Steps should be taken to protect the child or other children from further sexual abuse once abuse became apparent."

The elders, too, wanted to act -- should act in a way that demonstrates their protective care since the word "overseer" as that's used within the church, carries the thought of one who watches over in guarding and shepherding the flock.

In that same letter, the August 1, 1995 letter that you had in evidence and that you had in the room with you, it also says on the first page that:

"It would be appropriate to talk very frankly with the abuser that he should never be in the presence of a child without another adult being present."

And just one last one here this morning. The March 14, 1997 All Bodies of Elders Letter that was before you. That addressed the issue of when a member moves from one congregation to another. And if that member is known to be a child molester, that letter directed the elders in the local congregations to:

"Outline his background, including any needs for cautions that should be provided to the body of elders."

That letter would be presented to the congregation to which that person would move. And so, again, that's taking steps to help prevent child abuse.

Mr. Shuster also testified, when he was up on the stand, that the church has a long history, since he has been an elder, since '79, that child abusers cannot be appointed to serve as elders, as ministerial servants or pioneers.

That was reiterated in the March 14, 1997 that I just referenced.

The policy of Watchtower has continued to emerge on a case-by-case basis in which the Service Department elders sent letters to the local congregations, to the local elders to strongly warn, if they have a known child abuser within their congregation, that he should not be alone with children, and how the elders can deal with that if the member that is an abuser violates those instructions.

Now, I have no doubt that your verdict yesterday has already sent a message to Watchtower, and we will soon see another All Bodies of Elders Letter addressing the very issues that were raised.

One thing I would ask you to keep in mind.

The Jehovah's Witnesses Church is not the Catholic Church, that it has had verdict after verdict after verdict over the years. It's been in the press. We are all aware of it. This is the first verdict that the Jehovah's Witnesses church has faced. So, again, it is not the Catholic Church with multitudes of cases over a couple of decades.

We have been on the telephone, both last night and early this morning, speaking with the managing directors of Watchtower and the elders in the -

MR. SIMONS: I'm going to object, your Honor. It is not evidence.

THE COURT: Well, it is argument. But, counsel, why don't you go forward for a minute to make sure it is legit.

MR. SCHNACK: Your Honor, I didn't interrupt his argument.

THE COURT: Understood.

MR. SCHNACK: As I mentioned, we were on the phone to managing directors of Watchtower and to the elders in the Service Department. And I can tell you they are stunned by the verdict. Again, I mentioned, it is the first one. And it's, indeed, the first one we are all aware of that has ever found liability on a congregation in a church based on a congregation member causing harm to the child of another member.

However, I sincerely believe, and I put this to you, that Watchtower does not need to be punished by another monetary award.

Why is that?

Ms. Conti said she wanted to change policies. That's why she brought this suit. And we feel bad for Ms. Conti. But I can assure you, and I can assure her, that Watchtower's policies continue to evolve. And I can safely say that, with her verdict yesterday, Ms. Conti has succeeded. I encourage you to award no punitive damages in this case.

Again, I thank you for your service, for your time and your attention.

Thank you, your Honor.

• Balaamsass
    Balaamsass

What Bullshit! "

"The Jehovah's Witnesses Church is not the Catholic Church, that it has had verdict after verdict after verdict over the years. It's been in the press. We are all aware of it. This is the first verdict that the Jehovah's Witnesses church has faced. So, again, it is not the Catholic Church with multitudes of cases over a couple of decades." Ya.... Watchtower knows better and usually settles it's multitudes of cases.....

• King Solomon
    King Solomon

"I just want to make it perfectly clear: sure, we were guilty, but at least we are NOT the Catholics!!". Lol! Is that the best they could come up with? They've been found guilty and the answer is to say, "at least we're not them!".

Wonder how many Catholics on the jury appreciated that display of arrogance and hubris?

Loved the "it's been in the press: we are all aware of it" reasoning. Uh, Mr Counselor, you DO realize that you are talking to a jury, and not to a body of elders who's been instructed to do whatever to keep the matter hush-hush? Why not just come out and say, "honest, we really tried to cover this up, we really did...."

• besty
    besty

who is Monica Applewhite?

• besty
    besty

Nothing presented as evidence in the summing up indicating that:

1 - any new allegations of abuse should be immediately disclosed to social services/police

2 - any known abusers would be identified to the members of the congregation with which they are associated

One of the primary reasons I left was I could not accept the fact that elders children would enjoy a different level of protection from known child abusers than my children would.

• 3rdgen
    3rdgen

@King Soloman, LOL Exactly!

• Refriedtruth
    Refriedtruth

The Watchtower claims 7.5 million followers

The RCC 800 million plus.

Per-capita the Watchtower in 2012 is WORSE than the Catholic church.

HOW?

Pedophilia and mental,physical emotional child abuse from a high stress apocalyptic cult

100,000 murdered over twisted blood transfusion ban and this is the next HUGE breaking scandal.

How many (a million) ? Who have died PREMATURE deaths over neglect of long term health care believing the Watchtower Jehovah's Witnesses promises of an imminent 'new system' paradise that will deliver them from old age.

How many DEFRAUDED of life savings assets 'swindled by the $ociety' due to Watchtower society bogus promise of,you-don't-need-pension-old age-savings-so-give-it-all-to us.

The Catholic church is abundant in humanitarian public charities the Watchtower $ociety has ZERO charity.

Wicked Watchtower is rotten to the core..

• maisha
    maisha

MR. SCHNACK: As I mentioned, we were on the phone to managing directors of Watchtower and to the elders in the Service Department.

And whom are the managing directors?

They admitting here it is a business?

LOL

• maisha
    maisha

Actually his summing up sounds really poor, USELESS in fact.

I remember one of the WTBS lawyers saying how it doesnt matter what they say Jehovah is on their side, they always win....

Prepared or not, Great words or not Jehovah and his angels are there to make things go the way of the WTBS.

I think Jehovah had a day off, the angels must have been opposed by the prince of persia holding them back from helping the society win.

I Bet they are wondering why jehovah is not conducting the legal case !!!

Jeremiah 50: 33 This is what Jehovah of armies has said: “The sons of Israel and the sons of Judah are being oppressed together, and all those taking them captive have laid hold on them. They have refused to let them go. 34 Their Repurchaser is strong, Jehovah of armies being his name. Without fail he will conduct their legal case, in order that he may actually give repose to the land and cause agitation to the inhabitants of Babylon.”

but if you consider the sins of the mother has Jehovah deserted the Organisation?

how can such a failure on the part of the true god be considered in context now?.

• yadda yadda 2
    yadda yadda 2

Interesting to see him try to argue that a monetary award is not necessary because Candace Conti's motive was to change the Watchtower policies and that she has succeeded. ? How has she succeeded when the policy is still faulty. Unless the Society corrects relevant policies still more she has not succeeded. A pathetic attempt by Mr Schnack.

Anyway perhaps this comment by Mr Schnack indicates the case will be a catalyst to inspire 'new light' on the Watchtower's smug and wicked Pharasaical child abuse policies that are still faulty. I'm sure their best lawyers are drafting up scenarios now on what the 'new light' might be. I hope so.

"We do not go beyond what is written" Ted Jaracz said on the 2 witness policy. He'll be turning in his grave now. RIP or is it RIH Mr Jaracz.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit