Candace Conti v. Watchtower Society - Closing Argument by WTBTS Attorney

by jwleaks 84 Replies latest watchtower child-abuse

• james_woods
    james_woods

Not since Hayden Covington, St. George - and Covington was arguing for civil rights issues. Flag salute, draft, Green River - etc.

Even if they were unpopular, it is not at all the same thing as arguing in defense of child molestors - and an organization that hides them.

• Refriedtruth
    Refriedtruth

At a glance what is wrong about the Jehovah's Witnesses and their unique TWO WITNESSES take down.
    As a regular practice or as a deliberate subterfuge to cover up wrong doing they require the testimony of two eyewitnesses to every act of,civil,criminal,scriptural wrongdoing.
    The Watchtower Bible society leadership over extends the scripture at 2 Corinthians 13:1 (read it) and the two witness rule is selectively enforced with prejudice and favoritism.
    Example-If a favorite ministerial servant assaults me they will require that I present two witnesses to the act.If I do the same they won't require it from him.
    This two witness protocol permeates everything at the kingdom from pedophile crimes to gossip backstabbing.
    Moreover-The agonized victims are told to 'leave the matter in Jehovah's hands' 'wait on Jehovah' because 'any day we are going to be in the righteous new system'. So villain perpetrators continue to carry on in this festering enviroment.The victim is made to look like an unforgving discontent.
    This is another element that makes crimes unique in the Jehovah's Witnesses the issue of their apocalyptic dogma,any day it will all end and you will be in paradise.

• james_woods
    james_woods

If the governments and criminal law courts stubbornly insisted on that "two witnesses" rule, we would have probably 10 times the number of criminals still on the street that we have now.

Forensic science - fingerprints, DNA evidence, surveilance cameras - all would be out the window.

The JWs need to get off that nonsense and start trying to protect their children.

• life is to short
    life is to short

Right on Refriedtruth
    I was told in so many words not to worry my pretty little head over it but to let the elders handle it and that I should just leave it in Jehovah's hands. Jehovah may allow a child to get molested even but I should not worry about it because Jehovah will erase it from their mind in the new system as Isaiah 65: 17 says.

I was told this by a CO! Sick

LITS

• King Solomon
    King Solomon

"Do the WTS lawyers ever get to work on 'real' i.e. non-WTS cases? Their experience could be sadly lacking, and this appears to be the case here."

Don't worry: I have a feeling there going to be getting alot more on-the-job training experience in the near future. ;)

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

Indeed, statistically speaking, at least one of the jurors, and perhaps many more, were Roman Catholics. It seems that the jury understood that if you settle cases routinely, few plaintiffs (and their lawyers whose income is not certain) will go to trial so that liability can be legally assessed.

I attended a friendly Roman Catholic produced eating disorder lecture with friends. Based on my interactions with conservative Catholic family members, I asked to know if nonCatholics were welcome and would I be comfortable. The second sentence the woman on the DVD uttered was that only the Roman Catholic Church is Biblical. I announced it was an outrageous statement and walked on. No matter how much I wanted to be polite, I needed to run out.

This is an issue I have always raised about the WT using JW lawyers rather than letting JW lawyers do routine legal matters and hiring legal consultants/outside firms to do the work where knowledge of the world is needed. If I were arguing the closing, I would emphasize, in bullet point fashion, all the ways the WT does protect children. Perhaps no JW lawyer wanted to commit fraud to the court. It seems to me that they made an argument to the jury that should have been made to the judge concerning questions of law.

Any jury would want to know the hard facts. WT literature is written to puff up/lie about the Society. You don't need to be a legal eagle to figure that out. Their zeal, not for Christ or Jehovah, but an organization blinds them. Their work product, the technical legal issues, looks fine. Common sense is what is lacking. Like most people, they just see what they want to see. If the jury were all Witnesses, they would win. The Catholics probaly wanted to strangle the lawyer. It goes a long way to understanding the giant punitive damage award.

Also, what does it matter that Bethelites were shocked by the verdict?. Bethelites are NOT the relevant fact finders.

• Splash
    Splash

Mr Schnak said:

Mr. Shuster also testified, when he was up on the stand, that the church has a long history, since he has been an elder, since '79, that child abusers cannot be appointed to serve as elders, as ministerial servants or pioneers. That was reiterated in the March 14, 1997 that I just referenced.

this of course is NOT what is written in the latest secret Elders book, which says they CAN be reappointed.

Splash.

• james_woods
    james_woods
    this of course is NOT what is written in the latest secret Elders book, which says they CAN be reappointed.

And that "secret" elders book is now FAR from being secret...

• cofty
    cofty
    In that same letter, the August 1, 1995 letter that you had in evidence and that you had in the room with you, it also says on the first page that:

"It would be appropriate to talk very frankly with the abuser that he should never be in the presence of a child without another adult being present."

Oh well that will make sure a pedo never offends again. Talk to him VERY frankly.

Idiots!

• Scott77
    Scott77

May be the size of the award is determined in part by the paycheck or dollar worth of the quilty party. In this instance, I do not know if the Watchtower balance sheet was reviewed by the jury before the punitive award was decided. I would not be suprised about that. Personally, I feel offended that te Watchtower mentions the Catholic church. Its my parent's church where I grew up and did benefit financially from the Catholic Church financial aid for schooling. I sense there is something sinister and deceptive here on the part of the Watchtower. In court documents, the Watchtower refers or presents itself as a Church yet nowhere in its official documents do they mention this. We all know its Kingdom Hall.

Scott77

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit