IS GOD REAL? HOW DO YOU KNOW?

by still thinking 778 Replies latest jw friends

• tec
    tec

Palm?

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

Something else I ponder from time to time. Hormones. Hormones make me go, "Hmmmmm?

What are hormones and what do they do?

1st answer from:

Teacher

High School - 12th Grade

Associate Editor, Expert, Dickens, The Bard

Hormones are like messengers in your body that give orders to your cells to do particular things. They are chemicals that are manufactured by glands and released into the bloodstream, sort of holding a sign up with a type of cell's name on it (like a limo driver at the airport waiting to pick up a client.) Most cells ignore the hormone, but when it comes across the right one its chemical "message" is read and the cell starts to do what it has been told. This message could be a lot of different things, but generally it is meant to keep the body functioning and in balance. Too much of a certain hormone can have results such as your gym partner in 8th grade growing a mustache before everybody else or your girlfriend in the 9th grade freaking out on you during "that time of the month."

Here are some things that hormones do for the body. Remember, though, they are only the "messengers" that start the cells into action. They go out into the body when told to by a higher power (the gland) and it's the cell that actually does the work.

• make people grow or stop growing,
    • make people feel happy or sad,
    • speed up or slow down the metabolism,
    • starting puberty,
    • starting menopause,
    • regulating your fighting, mating, and fleeing instincts.

Here is a snazzy picture of the different glands and organs that secrete hormones:

• poopsiecakes
  • FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

Laughter. Laughter makes me go, "Hmmm."

• N.drew
    N.drew

FlyingHighNow I think I understand what you are saying. It occured to me that esthetics proves a designer. There are so many things that look just right to me. I did not share it before because the counter aurgument is that the appreciation of beauty is learned. Our brains choose to believe it is just right and beautiful. But I agree with you. The beautiful balance of nature proves to me God is real.

The other example you gave is a good one too imo. The glands and the organs working together. The only way that is possible is for them to have evolved simultaneously. Not just once, but hundreds of times in many different species.

Peace

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

The first time my first husband kissed me. I am pretty sure I saw God.

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

Hey, N. Drew. These are things that make me think. I'm not here to argue. My post about color has to do with consistency. You don't get a natural redhead with blue undertones to the complexion and cool eye color. It's consistent across the board. The things that make you go hmmmm.

• N.drew
    N.drew

I'm not here to argue.

What? Am I arguing?

I think the way colors combine is pleasing to the eye.

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

What? Am I arguing?

No.

You mentioned that you didn't post about certain things because of the possible counter arguments people might make. I am talking about people trying to argue with answers on this thread.

• ohiocowboy
    ohiocowboy

In regards to the subject of the thread, I recently came to the conclusion that even though I can't prove whether God exists or not, I will live as if he/she does exist. It doesn't hurt me to think that way, and if God truly does exist, I will be acknowledging and giving him/her respect, and if God doesn't exist, it won't affect me either way. That is all I can do right now until a time comes when I find proof either way. I guess that I would still consider myself Agnostic, but have just decided to make an acknowledgement just in case. There are a lot of good arguments either way as to an existance or not, and I just can't come to a conclusion.

Thanks for the interesting thread!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit