IS GOD REAL? HOW DO YOU KNOW?

by still thinking 778 Replies latest jw friends

• Wizard of Oz
    Wizard of Oz

@ still thinking....you have a pm

• iCeltic
    iCeltic

Snare said - Define spirituality? The WT stole it and turned it into a gauge of commitment. It is nothing of the sort, it is a state of humble wonder.

I couldn't agree more.

• still thinking
    still thinking

Thanks wizzz....I have just read it....

I shall sleep on it and reply tomorrow.

iCeltic...nice to see ya back....a state of humble wonder is where I think I might be at the moment...although I'm am not always so much on the humble side of the tracks.

• iCeltic
    iCeltic

Sill Thimking, you've started a thread that gets you thinking and that can only be a good thing. I've really enjoyed reading the interesting thoughts of thinkers, I've loved reading the comments of New Chapter, Snare, Cofty, Zid, really engaging conversation and fires the mind. I've always loved this quote “What can be asserted without proof can be dismissed without proof.”

? Christopher Hitchens

• still thinking
    still thinking
    I've loved reading the comments of New Chapter, Snare, Cofty, Zid, really engaging conversation and fires the mind.

Are you sure that was this thread??? zid said hi and bye

But bugger it!....I'll still take the complement...LOL

“What can be asserted without proof can be dismissed without proof.”

This may be true....BUT....................................I'll have to think of a but for that one...

• iCeltic
    iCeltic

Sorry, I meant overall, in a number of threads, these folk get my brain firing with engaging conversation.

And you'll be looking a while for a but to that quote.:-)

• still thinking
    still thinking

Yeah I thought so...I was just teasing...and I agree 100% this time...*about zid etc....I'm still thinking about the but*

• diamondiiz
    diamondiiz

I don't believe in any "holy book" nor their gods. I can't say if there is a god or not because there just isn't a real proof of its existence and I don't buy into the whole creation complexity explanation. I find it odd that people hear Jesus talk to them but also claim that not all bible books are from god, that's somewhat picking and choosing what one wants to belief out of a book that claims to be all inspired. Voices talk to these ones but can't actually reveal something extraordinary to them that might shed some light to those around them. God is Love is always a good joke claimed by many who claim to hear his voice - which usually is Jesus too in our parts of the world.

If there is a god, the closest thing I can think of comparing god to would be similar to a game creator who makes a game and doesn't care if the characters in the game kill each other or help each other. If god is someone like what religions describe, one would assume that a loving being would at least show up from time to time, or send a rep to correct the major wrongs mankind is doing. Christians who were burned at the stake by the thousands obviously didn't bother god. Exterminations of many species of life doesn't bother god. Proliferation of weapons that can wipe out entire world doesn't get god involved in any way. So what exactly would get this god to do something about anything if it were a loving god as described by many religions? So it's reasonable to conclude that god either doesn't exist or it just doesn't care contrary to all the religious descriptions of it.

Surprising Aguest's voice didn't tell her to show up and participate in the discussion.

• still thinking
    still thinking

Hi diamondiz...thanks for contributing....

which usually is Jesus too in our parts of the world.

This has got me thinking again.........I wonder how many muslims, hindus, etc etc...that may NEVER have learnt anthing in particular about christianity have heard directly from Jesus or the Christian God........surely there must be some.

Are there some that have been going to their mosque everday for worship and then suddenly have a revelation that Jesus has spoken to them?

If God/Jesus can read our hearts...knows what we would do with his knowlege if he shared it with us...he MUST contact people who previously knew nothing about him. If not....why not? Wouldn't that be unfair on people simply because they were born in the wrong part of the world, and weren't taught about him?

And, If we need faith to hear...does that write these people off for their whole lives until they die? I know the argument of people will be saved even if they haven't heard...BUT...how would you draw close to him if you never learnt about him?

Also, has there EVER been a case where christians have gone out to spread the word....found some tribe in the wop wops....only to discover they were already christians because Jesus had already spoken to them....wouldn't that be likely if Jesus talks directly to us?

• still thinking
    still thinking

iceltic....I still can't think of a but for your quote...so I have got it out of my system by using a BUT in the previous post...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit