IS GOD REAL? HOW DO YOU KNOW?

by still thinking 778 Replies latest jw friends

• still thinking
    still thinking

This is an honest question on my part.

Someone on this board asked me 'how do you know' a while ago and I really struggled with it. In fact, it was a turning point for me.

I realised that as much as I thought I knew God was real, When really pushed, I couldn't even prove it to myself.

I came to the realisation that the belief I had in God may be TOTALLY based on my indoctrination from childhood. Raised Catholic and then belief in what the witnessess taught.

It never occurred to me that God might not be real, I just thought that I hadn't found the right path/faith/belief/understanding.

So I ask believers of ALL kinds, not just christian, but those who consider themselves christians are indeed welcome, to share how they KNOW their god is real. I want to see if there is anything I have missed or maybe misunderstood.

I do not intend to use this thread to critisize anyones beliefs and will not comment on them usless to clarify or ask a question. And I am hoping others will do the same.

All I ask is, if you do choose to share your reasons, that you don't quote bible or scripture and keep your explanation purely on a personal basis of how you know.

Vanderhoven, you posted a video clip on another thread when I asked you how god revealed himself to you. I am hoping that you read this thread because I can't for the life of me find it to watch. If you don't mind, can you please re post it here or put the link here. Thank you.

• Knowsnothing
    Knowsnothing

I think I was just happy believing in this Almighty, Benevolent being that would take care of humanity eventually.

If he exists, he hasn't made himself all that well known, IMO and when I see things like predation and past mass extinctions on this planet, I don't really expect anything from him, good or bad.

In other words, if he exists, he could do a much better job of letting himself be known accurately.

• EntirelyPossible
    EntirelyPossible

If god exists, he should formally reveal himself to humanity.

So I'll start with this forum. Here I AM THAT I AM. Worship away.

• Knowsnothing
    Knowsnothing

EntirelyYWHW, only ~3million more threads to go and 100 of millions of websites on which to ID yourself.

• still thinking
    still thinking

Knowsnothing...thanks for your thoughts. I often wonder if this is why we want there to be a God. Do we hope that there is so that he can solve all our problems? Do we hope he is real so that we don't feel so alone?

I still find myself praying sometimes. Mostly, when I feel uncertain or afraid. And I keep questioning myself as to why I do this. There is no doubt that at the time it comforts me. But am I simply comforting myself?

EntirelyPossible....I have thoughts on what you have said...but at this point in time, I shall keep them to myself...LOL

• EntirelyPossible
    EntirelyPossible

I think this about covers it. Larsinger, Sabastious, djegnogg, Rick, Philadelphia Ponos and others should start spreading the word soon. Plus it's now in google cache, so it's all good.

• EntirelyPossible
    EntirelyPossible

I have thoughts on what you have said...but at this point in time, I shall keep them to myself...LOL

Too late, I've already probed your thoughts with Holy Spirit.

• still thinking
    still thinking

EntirelyPossible...why did that comment make me cringe?

I am really disappointed, so far not one comment from someone who KNOWS their god is real. Maybe only the unbelievers are logged on at the moment........I shall check again later in the hope that I have some replies.

• EntirelyPossible
    EntirelyPossible

The more interesting question is ...as God, who or what do I worship?

• Star tiger
    Star tiger

Hi,

I am not yet an Atheist, however the question of evil is most perplexing, if an alknowing, all loving creator who want's the best for his creation allows bad things to happen without providing an easy to answer, none test format to choose his leadership, then I see creation, I see Panspermia far more likely, I look forward to Prometheus the new Ridley Scott movie which includes information from ancient Sumer and the Erich Von Daniken theory, let's realise that it can't be anymore fanciful than the Biblical accounts, can it.

This way, the Deist method only relys on you do your best, not having to do the will of a hundred year old religion that hate humity and its science!

They are truly horrible people in the governing body of Jehovahs witnesses, clueless and spiteful!

Regards,

Star Tiger

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit