IS GOD REAL? HOW DO YOU KNOW?

by still thinking 778 Replies latest jw friends

• N.drew
    N.drew
    I have a question for those who know their bibles (I don't). Do the hebrew scriptures personify qualities or does God have qualities rather than being them?

soft+gentle this is a No Bible Thread. I think is a good enough topic to start a new thread.

• soft+gentle
    soft+gentle

okay - I didn't realise. it is a good topic isn't it. I am curious because what we call paganism appears to have a lot in common with the NT in the developement of focusing on single qualities as personifications but this may be down to intertextuality.

as to starting a new thread - I dunno - my threads tend not to be very popular - I think this is my fault though as I ought to look after them more

• tec
    tec

*whispers*

S+G - I think the answer is that it does 'both'.

Peace,

tammy

*glances around for Still, slowly backs out of the thread*

• soft+gentle
    soft+gentle

whispers back to tec

in the psalms?

• tec
    tec

lol

I don't know. I'd have to look it up, which I would just do by googling. I remember that Wisdom is personified somewhere. And of course God is given qualities, such as God is love. So I know that it is both done in the bible.

Not gonna break any more rules, Still. Sorry.

Peace,

tammy

• SweetBabyCheezits
    SweetBabyCheezits
    TEC: I think Vander (and the on-line dictionary, lol) has a different definition of proud there: arrogant. That is the meaning of the word before 1000AD. The opposite of humble, which is not proud/arrogant.

I understand, Tammy. But Van's assertion was just another cop-out, so I tweaked the corollary to fit a little better (in my opinion). After all, the word humility, to some, means uncritically accepting their concept of god. To question their concept is to question the supreme intelligence of the universe. And who would think he knows more than "god" but someone who is extremely arrogant?

Humility, to me, includes being less than certain (and by no means dogmatic) regarding ideas for which there's no evidence.

When scientists don’t know something — like why the universe came into being or how the first self-replicating molecules formed — they admit it. Pretending to know things one doesn’t know is a profound liability in science. And yet it is the life-blood of faith-based religion. One of the monumental ironies of religious discourse can be found in the frequency with which people of faith praise themselves for their humility, while claiming to know facts about cosmology, chemistry and biology that no scientist knows. When considering questions about the nature of the cosmos and our place within it, atheists tend to draw their opinions from science. This isn’t arrogance. It is intellectual honesty. - Sam Harris

• tec
    tec

Humility, to me, includes being less than certain (and by no means dogmatic) regarding ideas for which there's no evidence.

Sure... but this entire thread is about evidence (what a person of faith bases their knowing upon), even if that is personal evidence. I agree with you that it would be arrogant to look down on someone else who has not seen or had this evidence (or who has come to a different conclusion); but it is arrogant for anyone to think they're better than anyone else.

In any case, if we are using ourpersonal definition of words, then there is bound to be confusion ;)

Peace,

tammy

• N.drew
    N.drew

I have had some time to think of who is my mother if God is my father. The God I know is complete, holy, not lacking in anything. So there exists no need for a mother, just a prayer, a choosing and a dedication to see the end of it, whatever it shall be.

N.Drew, it was real question. I was not joking. soft&gentle

I have a human mother and father. Haha! And I'm not adopted. So, my mother is my mother.

• palmtree67
    palmtree67
    In any case, if we are using our personal definition of words, then there is bound to be confusion ;)

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

I was thinking today how fascinating it is that people have color schemes. Remember when Color Me Beautiful was popular? Hair color, skintone and eye color go together.Your personal color scheme will all be either warm or cool. It's the same with animals. A natural red head will have warm toned skin and warm colored eyes, even if they are pure blue, it will be a warmer blue. In my case, I have warm, golden skin tone with warm pink and ivory high lights. I match up well with a conch shell. My eyes are warm hazel green and my hair was honey blonde when I was a kid. Now it is honey brown and warm gray.

And you can use your own coordinated color scheme to choose your cosmetics and clothing, even your home decorations, furniture and your cars, if you don't want to clash.

So accurate is this personal color scheme that an industry has been built around it. For most people, your favorite color will be one of your season colors. When I was a girl of 10, my mother bought me a burnt orange and tan checked shirt with burnt orange pants. I decided that burnt orange was my favorite color. In the Crayola box of 64 colors, I loved the warm blue green color and the periwinkle blue. It turns out that I am an autumn who can wear some spring colors. I look great in orange and even surgeon green or turquoise. I thought back on life and usually my favorite outfits, make up, furniture and room colors were in my season. I was lucky that my high school colors were maroon and gold.

Usually a dress or shirt in the wrong color for us will make us feel awkward and less attractive. That would be magenta or hot pink for me.

Something that makes me go, "Hmmmmm."

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit