Theists, why does God allow suffering..

by The Quiet One 754 Replies latest watchtower bible

• CalebInFloroda
    CalebInFloroda

@defenderofteuth

I didn't say this thread was a waste of time, I said the ongoing debate is pointless when compared to the fact that the issue has never been definitively proven one way or the other.

To paraphrase Einstein, doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results is the definition of insanity. That's what I am saying.

Debating something that doesn't have an answer doesn't free JWs because that is not the point of the argument: Theists, why does G-d allow suffering? The question is designed to challenge theists into debate.

Whatever you might feel I see it illogical for atheists to demand proof of a deity, claiming they would believe if only there was empirical evidence. That is a cowardly condition for some atheists to take. Are you afraid to tell a god that does in fact exist that you won't worship him or serve him? I'm not.

As a Jew I don't believe Jesus is the Messiah. But that belief is not based on my telling myself Jesus wasn't real. In fact I believe he was a historical figure. He might have very well performed every single miracle attributed to him, even being resurrected from the dead. He can even come back tomorrow from wherever he's been for the past 2000 years in a display of miracles and celestial events...but none of that makes him the Messiah. None of those things will make me kneel to him because none of those things were prophesied about the Messiah, Jews never expected a dying Christ, nor do some of us (like myself) believe a personal Messiah is even supposed to be a literal figure. My view on Jesus is not conditional, and no "proof" he can offer will change that because he already had his chance and did not measure up.

I don't sit around arguing about if Jesus is the Messiah, or because this or that miracle happened here or there that I should perhaps reconsider my position or what would I do if Jesus did return on the clouds of heaven. It's irrelevant because none of that makes sense to Judaism or me personally. I go on, living life now. I don't waste my time challenging Christians to prove their faith in Jesus. And I don't go around claiming that arguing such a point is designed to help JWs.

Is this thread itself a waster of time? No. But is the centuries-long worn out debate? Yep.

Does G-d owe any of us proof of his existence? Where is it written that suffering is G-d's responsibility? I can show you in the Tanakh where it says it is ours, where humans are expected to do something about the world.

And in the end who cares what the Tanakh says or what I as a Jew believe or if G-d exists. In the end there is still suffering. In the end you have the power to stop it. It exists because we aren't stoping it. The world is what we make of it.

• cofty
    cofty

Wonder - Do you have anything to say on the subject?

Posting links isn't the same thing as having a discussion.

I would happily debate anybody who thinks "natural evil" can be reconciled with christian theism but the authors of your articles don't post here.

• cofty
    cofty
    In the end you have the power to stop it

No we don't.

There was nothing we could do to save 250 000 men women and children who were wiped out in minutes in the Asian Tsunami.

Homo sapiens suffered and died for over 100 000 years before humans developed the technology to even know what was going on in the next village.

Suffering proves the god of christian theism does not exist. It is a point worth repeating. Please stop trying to change the subject.

By the way, as I said previously, the time, effort and money that humans invest in trying to relieve the suffering of others is greater by many orders of magnitude than in any time in human history.

• cofty
    cofty
    I see it illogical for atheists to demand proof of a deity, claiming they would believe if only there was empirical evidence. That is a cowardly condition for some atheists to take. Are you afraid to tell a god that does in fact exist that you won't worship him or serve him? I'm not.

What a strange assertion.

If the god of christian theism appeared in front of me tomorrow I would tell him he was unworthy of my respect.

• TheWonderofYou
    TheWonderofYou

cofty:These links shall show which scientifc areas are touched of the question at hand ….....about evil and animals at hand. As mere armchair biologist and armchair theologian I do my best to collect english info for you all.

I think that we have to accept joy and pain as a package, because obviously human and animal life would not be possible at all without that „life principles“: Fear – run away, suffering - improvement, whatever the professional names for these processes are, it seems to be right what was said: we live in the best possible world according to Leibnitz, but some evil accidents even a „perfect“ evolution could not be changed by evolution, like the hunters killing lovely deers, or terrorists killing nice babes on a beach.

The testimonals and stories of the bible are a guide even for this question.

The answers about life and suffering are not written in the bible, Job didnt get the answer for his suffering, but he had hope that his suffering cries to heaven, as we have. Our God is a loving kindness god and a suffering God too, as Jesus demonstrated on the cross. The redeem cant be without suffering, love cant be without suffering, love cant be without tears, thats a christian principle.

For the ancient antic world, judaism, too the fate of humankind and fate of cosmos was the same, and too the fate of animals.

• cofty
    cofty
    Wonder - so how do you reconcile that with an omnipotent, loving god?
  • TheWonderofYou
    TheWonderofYou

omnipotent, almighty does not mean only the most powerfull, the biggest, the greates, the allknowing-in advance, in christian belief but the most little too, the poorest, the little baby in the crib, the man on the cross, the spitted messiah,
    tortured anointed, the submitted king, the surrendered, ....a .loving god of submittance, surrender, relinquising himself like a baby in the crib, discharded to his trial, fully dependent of men and as baby of his mother.

„Almightyness“ does refer to the biblical notion of god in israel, Not so much meaning " The one that has the most might and knows everything" but „the lord of all“, hebrew „Zebaoth“, greek pano-krator - literally "god of hosts"," god of powers", in opostion to the babylonian religion of the stars!!! As the lord to whom the stars belong, stars are not gods but his tools, so Jahweh zebaoth does not mean as JW think the lord of a big powerful and very strong myriad angelarmy that is lead by jesus, no, but simple lord of all stars in the heaven.

So this „almightness“ comes orginally from thinking of the jewish god as REAL lord over all stars in contrast to babylon star worship and does not mean that he knows everything in advance or plans everything like an architect or clockmaker-creator.

The evolution of the strong and the meek is thus in no contrary with that "almighty" "full-love"-God, a love in the sense of mercy, loving kindness- the motherly love - but not a almightyness as biological perfection of a special imagined kind. The biblical god is the God of mother love and not the god of perfect bios, thus he gifts us with gifts of love and zoe (eternal life) not perfect biological life.

read page 148

https://books.google.at/books?id=LJlkwvExekkC&pg=PA137&hl=de&source=gbs_toc_r&cad=3#v=onepage&q&f=false.

• cofty
    cofty

So Jesus' god is powerless in the face of a tsumani is he?

I thought he made the universe.

• freemindfade
    freemindfade
    Oh yhwh is the little baby alright. Always throwing fits and smiting people.
  • cofty
    cofty

Wonder - If you are positing that the god of Jesus is as powerless do anything in the world as a crying baby then that is an interesting theology.

It is one way of getting god off the hook.

Christians tend to resort to some form of deism when faced with reality but I have never seen it done so thoroughly.

It suggests an obvious question of why bother worshipping such a useless deity?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit