Theists, why does God allow suffering..

by The Quiet One 754 Replies latest watchtower bible

• cofty
    cofty
    I am sorry you are confusing me...

Why are you confused?

No degree of suffering disproves the god of deism.

At some point suffering becomes a problem for the god of Jesus.

The word "god" is so lacking in content as to be meaningless.

Why is this hard to grasp.

• little_Socrates
    little_Socrates

Let me see if I understand... the problem isn't that there is suffering. It is that there is too much suffering. Do I understand you?

If so, how do we decide what level of suffering is appropriate and what level isn't?

• cofty
    cofty

If there is a creator god, as christian theism asserts, then she designed a world where the quantity and quality of pain and suffering experienced by her creation was not only low in her list of priorities, it wasn't even on the list.

This needs to be explained by those who recommend the god of Jesus.

• little_Socrates
    little_Socrates

"If there is a creator god, as christian theism asserts, then she designed a world where the quantity and quality of pain and suffering experienced by her creation was not only low in her list of priorities, it wasn't even on the list."

I am sorry I just think that statement is just as absurd as many say theistic arguments are. I guess if we hold different fundamental viewpoints... we will always be like ships passing in the night. I think this is an unwindable argument for both sides. It is fun to stretch our minds for a bit though.

• cofty
    cofty
    It is fun to stretch our minds for a bit though

I disagree it wasn't fun at all.

• Diogenesister
    Diogenesister

Bioflex how do you explain vestigial organs like whales with vestigial legs ...google it. The genes for vestigal organs are still there...like humans in the womb get a complete covering of hair at PRECISELY the same stage as apes do, but because our fur gene is 'switched off',dormant if you like, we loose ours.

Some animals DO MOURNE their dead. Some human animals dont. How many times do you see someone killed on tv, or witness an accident and just continue on with your life...no tears shed. The point being made is that no loving god in the Judeo-Christian sense could have created a world based on predation of other (or in many cases their own) species.

• freemindfade
    freemindfade

Calebinfloroda

you know I have a lot of respect for you and I have even referenced much of your posting. You have a fantastic understanding of the Jewish theology and the bible. I do enjoy your posts very much. And I had spent a lot of time in new York with alllllll manor of jew. I would sit and talk with rabbis on everything from Judaism to kabbalah, hasidics, Israelis, orthodox, fake-a-dox. And everything in between. So trust me when I say I appreciate you knowledge and practical delivery. For me personally. The god and religion thay set of Judaism and Christianity and now islam. Is too small. Too young. And not god. This is no reflection on your deep understanding. You know I'm one of your biggest fans :)

But for me. G-d doesn't fit in the big picture. But keep up the good writing. Your great at putting fundies straight on the religion your forefathers constructed and I get a kick out of that. They have no clue. Even sitting through the beeting today, the talk and watchtower I was squirming out how utterly ignorant the gb and writers for wtbs are on this branch of theism. Crayon eating Lett, can you imagine? Talking about job and satan? Lol

• little_Socrates
    little_Socrates

To answer the question from a Christian perspective.... "Why does God allow suffering"

There must be some inherent value to suffering that we can't see or understand from our current perspective. Proof of this (from the Christian world view) is that God himself through his son choose to suffer. If God chooses to suffer there must be some degree of value to it.

If God during his mortal existence choose to suffer... who are we to think we can avoid suffering?

God is not asking anything of us he didn't already choose for himself.

• little_Socrates
    little_Socrates
    Just a curious question... Do any other non Christian religions believe in the concept of a suffering God? Is this a uniquely Christian idea?
  • cofty
    cofty
    There must be some inherent value to suffering that we can't see or understand from our current perspective

Spoken from the Ivory Tower

Jesus' "suffering" was bullshit.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit