Theists, why does God allow suffering..

by The Quiet One 754 Replies latest watchtower bible

• defender of truth
    defender of truth

"You state Caedes that natural disasters don’t have anything to do with free will. Well they do as I have explained."
    You have not explained this. Please give an example.

• Seraphim23
    Seraphim23

Giordano I didn’t know it was my God. I wish someone had told me! Anyhow your reasoning is in error in my view as such an adjustment by God would also mean human behaviour would also adjust as well, and not for the better. Indestructible humans wouldn’t do much in terms of work because they wouldn’t really need to. Life would become very dull.

• Seraphim23
    Seraphim23

God protects some and not others in order to give hope and faith to others if they want it. It is not because God loves some more than others as all die in the end.

• cofty
    cofty

Then you worship a capricious monster.

Its about time you recalibrated your moral compass.

• Seraphim23
    Seraphim23

To have freedom defender of truth, I would argue that such space to move in more than one direction as it were must be available; else there is no choices or space to move possible. If one can do good in a universe whose physics allows for what corresponds to good, which is does, then it also allows for the opposite which is what we call bad. The universe itself cannot choose its own physics for obvious reasons but it simply does them as it were. So good and bad is simply part of how the universe works and these include natural disasters as well as the good stuff. A direct example of free will being curtailed by the lack of evil is not possible, as it does not happen in reality.

• cofty
    cofty

To have freedom defender of truth, I would argue that such space to move in more than one direction as it were must be available; else there is no choices or space to move possible.

I have no idea what you just said - I am sure you don't either.

Also, what does physics have to do with natural evil.

• Seraphim23
    Seraphim23

I always know what I mean by what I say. I’m sure you do to. Everything happens because physics allows for it, including what is called natural evil.

• cofty
    cofty

Even if what you are trying to say was true, an omnipotent creator is responsible for the laws of physics.

He chose to make the universe as it is. If he can't make a world where natural evil prevails then he is impotent or evil, and unworthy or our admiration.

• defender of truth
    defender of truth

Sorry s23, I meant please give a specific example of someone's being protected from harm in a natural disaster, and how it impinged on their free will. If God protected me from being killed by lightning, for example, I would not particularly mind. I would not be complaining to the European court of human rights that my right to freedom had been restricted..;)

• Seraphim23
    Seraphim23

Cofty, one might argue that God chose the laws of physics and blame him for it, if one believes in him but to me that is the same as accusing God of not making a rope that only has one end. It’s going to have two ends or no rope at all! One appreciates the rope for what it is, or not at all.

defender of truth, it depends on the method of protection/intervention. God can either move you out of the way of the lightning, change where the lightning will strike, or warn you not to go out in the first place. Sometimes people get premonitions of danger and so don’t get on the plane that will later crash for example. With this method free will is not affected, as the person still has a choice to ignore the warning or not. However this would not happen for everyone or anyone all the time because life here is not supposed to be permanent.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit