"Feeling sorry for yourself" about being hit by your husband is not Christian 2/15/12 WT Page 25 P 12

by yourmomma 449 Replies latest watchtower bible

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

So the lesson from the Watchtower is for good Christian women never to try to make a point with their husband. Let him be the boss and put up with his hitting until you learn how to behave correctly. Maybe after a decade or two, he'll stop.

• jamiebowers
    jamiebowers

AnneB:

Emotions aside, what they're saying is don't push someone past his or her limits. Makes sense and there's nothing wrong with it.

AnneB, I've gotten to know you oer the years, and I truly admire you as a thoughtful, intelligent person. But on this point we'll have to agree to disagree. No one should feel fearful of physical abuse for any reason and especially so ith their spouse.

Undercover:

sir82 is right, this is revolting - even for the WTS. They've always maintainted that wives need to be long suffering with tempermental and prone to fits of anger husbands, but never (that I can remember) to the point of actually enduring and excusing physical abuse.

Undercover, the Watchtower may never have put it in writing, but in my personal experience, jw wives are expected to stay with abusive husbands, period.

I endured terrible physical abuse from my jw husband for almost seven years, and the elders never suggested I leave but instead encouraged me to be a better wife and wait on Jehovah. In our first congregation, an elder uncle of my husband at the time, interviewed his "fleshly" sister about her opposed husband beating her and holding a gun to her head. This little presenttion was done not long after I went to the elders about my jw husband hitting me. I got the message loud and clear. It was STFU...at least he's not threatening to kill you.

Near the end of our marriage things had progressed from bad to worse. He was beating, kicking, and strangling me on a regular basis. My jw husband's threats on my life were overheard by one of my co-workers Despite the fact that his own psychiatrist and a judge ruled him dangerous and worthy of forced committment, the elders still tried to bully me back into the marriage. This was in our second congregation in a different state. One elder tld me point blank that if my husband did kill me, at least I was guaranteed into the new system.

This article needs to be exposed to every agency and watchdog group that deals with battered women. Watchtower doctrine on this and many other matters should be made criminal!

• ReallyTrulyAthena
    ReallyTrulyAthena

@ jamieblowers -

One elder tld me point blank that if my husband did kill me, at least I was guaranteed into the new system.

What.The.%#$. My stomach lurched and a swell of nausuea hit me as I read that. I can only IMAGINE what you felt hearing that. What is WRONG WITH THESE PEOPLE?????? I know that not "all JWs" are "bad" but seriously.... I'm angry and sad, all at once.

Watchtower doctrine on this and many other matters should be made criminal!

Not only yes but HELL YES!

Peace and ((hugs))

~ RTA

• bottleofwater
    bottleofwater

Can someone send this to a media outlet? This would work so well in the case of misinformation to battered women.

• 3rdgen
    3rdgen

To JamieBowers and all the other victoms of domestic abuse (((((hugs)))) For those who can't wait for this to be discussed at the WT study: unfortunatly this hideous experience was not in the study article. Many Jw's might not even read it unless it is pointed out to them. That might be our job :)

• Gayle
    Gayle

I know this has been WTS policy back in the 50s and 60s. But now it's 50-60 yrs later. To read this in print now is insanity in the 21st century in a world wide printed magazine. There is spousal abuse organizations, national, state, police etc with so much issue on this. The damage to these women, their health, emotional state, their children as they grow up and get messed up. It's against the law for spouses to "hit." What kind of an evil, backward, unloving group would suggest any woman or man putting up with this.

I hope we start writing these spousal abuse organizations and any media to inform them of this religious teaching by the Jehovah's Witnesses. The people and the media need to know. I haven't read anything recently about the Watchtower using the "mentally-diseased apostates." Could it be the Watchtower is afraid to print it very soon because of negative publicity?

• wha happened?
    wha happened?

The thought revolts me, but I'm almost curious enought to go to a KH to hear exactly what type of comments are going to be offered up, and by whom?

• smiddy
    smiddy

So what, he beat her for 17 years ? and she still didn`t learn ? then he thought, crap I`ll never get through to her unless I become a witness,now I can still beat the crap out of her with Jehovah`s blessing

smiddy

• ziddina
    ziddina

SMIDDY!!!

I'm afraid that the abuse she was having to endure, made her ripe pickings for an abusive cult...

• wha happened?
    wha happened?

well I couldn't wait so I told my wife of the upcoming article, and read some of it to her. She frowned. I said it was just plain insensative to anyone in an abusive relationship. She said; "thats what my family did" with a disgusted look on her face. I said well "I thought u should know so that u don't get blind sided by it". I did drop in that the GB is obviously disconnected to make such a callous statement. No repsonse. Then I said "How about something like, Are u ok? or lets call the police." Then my wife chimed in and said "right!"

Today was a better day

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit